DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Balls (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/138203-balls.html)

Cliff January 2nd 06 09:10 AM

Balls

So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

Burt Gummer January 2nd 06 09:48 AM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

Peining sheet metals like copper, bronze, brass etc its shape.

Cydrome Leader January 2nd 06 11:29 AM

Balls

In rec.crafts.metalworking Cliff wrote:
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?

Pounding curved shapes in hot steel.

Ken Moffett January 2nd 06 02:07 PM

Balls

Cliff wrote in news:acrhr1d96e86chiku4jdc6kg57lp464khs@
4ax.com:

So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?

Peening welds in cast iron, as it cools, to prevent shrinkage and cracking.

Dixon January 2nd 06 03:43 PM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the ball
end.

Dixon

Lew Hartswick January 2nd 06 04:05 PM

Balls

Cliff wrote:
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?

Peining rivets. Thats what they were made for.
...lew...

Rick January 2nd 06 04:21 PM

Balls

"Burt Gummer" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

Peining sheet metals like copper, bronze, brass etc its shape.

Making paper gaskets...

Charlie Gary January 2nd 06 04:42 PM

Balls

Cliff wrote:
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?

Pulverizing stuff like bondo- makes it easier to scrape off.

Later,

Charlie

Jim Wilson January 2nd 06 05:30 PM

Balls

Dixon wrote...
I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the ball
end.

Are you sure that's right? Webster could be wrong but says:

pein

Peen \Peen\, n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.] (a) A round-edged, or
hemispherical, end to the head of a hammer or sledge, used to stretch or
bend metal by indentation. (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a
mason's hammer. [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.]

--
Jim

Mike Young January 2nd 06 05:57 PM

Balls

"Dixon" wrote in message

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the ball
end.

Which end is the peen end on a cross peen hammer?

Jim Wilson January 2nd 06 06:09 PM

Balls

Mike Young wrote...

Which end is the peen end on a cross peen hammer?

This exact same example came to my mind right after I posted my first
reply. But I didn't want to rub it in. (G)

Cheers!

Jim

Burt Gummer January 2nd 06 06:26 PM

Balls

I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the ball
end.

Dixon
Last time I checked the Ball Pein was the round end, with the hammer end
originally simply to be the extra weight and mass to make the ballpein
work.

Burt Gummer January 2nd 06 06:28 PM

Balls

double checked with the works copper smith, the round end is the ball pein,
the other end simply a convenient flat hammer face.

Proctologically Violated©® January 2nd 06 10:00 PM

Balls

Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
Dixon wrote...

Dixon January 2nd 06 10:11 PM

Balls

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
Dixon wrote...
I like to ask people that visit my shop to point the pein end out on a
ball-pein hammer and watch 90% of them point ( incorrectly ) at the ball
end.

Are you sure that's right? Webster could be wrong but says:

pein

Peen \Peen\, n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.] (a) A round-edged, or
hemispherical, end to the head of a hammer or sledge, used to stretch or
bend metal by indentation. (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a
mason's hammer. [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.]

--
Jim

I have seen hammers in tool catalogs that were called ball pein, followed by
hammers that were called double ball ( they had a ball on each end ), then
hammers called double pein, that had two flat ends. This is all I've got to
go on, and could be wrong. Until a few years ago I always assumed the pein
was the ball end.

Dixon

Robin S. January 2nd 06 10:14 PM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

One can close (slightly) the mouth of a reamed hole by placing the ball in
the mouth of the hole, and whacking it with something. Obviously it's a
*very* bad idea to hit two hammers with hardened heads together. I'd
recommend a non-ferrous hammer/whacking device.

I've done this when a punch is too loose in a punch holder or when a dowel
hole is loose. Not the greatest solution as far as longevity goes, but in a
pinch...

Regards,

Robin

Northern Raider January 2nd 06 10:46 PM

Balls

I have seen hammers in tool catalogs that were called ball pein, followed
by hammers that were called double ball ( they had a ball on each end ),
then hammers called double pein, that had two flat ends. This is all I've
got to go on, and could be wrong. Until a few years ago I always assumed
the pein was the ball end.

Dixon Peining is an old french word IIRc , ( dont hold me to it) the two
ended double pein is popular with panel beaters as well as metal smiths,
the ball pein is popular with people who create curved contours out of
flat metal, IIRC peining is the action of working the malable metal into
hand crafted shapes.

Lew Hartswick January 3rd 06 02:27 AM

Balls

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?
----------------------------

NO! There are also cross pein hammers and probably others.
...lew...

Martin H. Eastburn January 3rd 06 03:11 AM

Balls

Dixon - I think there is a misunderstanding on your thought.

Check out :
http://www.hammersource.com/Ball_Pei...edIgodnxJ4 Sg

The ball pein is the rounded end that peins over stuff.
The auto body CROSS Pein it more of a pincher - making creases in metal.
Blacksmith Cross Pein - notice the cross means flat on the top - not verticle blade...
click on the camera - ball and cross pein pin - hum.

Now :

http://www.hammersource.com/Blacksmi...4231916E193A21

the Swedish pattern - nice square face with beveled edges. Cross pein blade.
So the hammer head end is not the pein - but the rounded and flat chisel blades are.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Dixon wrote:
"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
. net...

Dixon wrote...

Jim Wilson January 3rd 06 04:47 AM

Balls

Proctologically Violated©® wrote...
Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?

No, "ball" describes the shape of the pein.

Jim

Steve R. January 3rd 06 05:06 AM

Balls

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?

No! Their are other shapes for the pein. Cross pein hammers come to mind.

Steve R.

----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
Dixon wrote...

Steve R. January 3rd 06 05:09 AM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

"Sinking" copper, and other soft metals. Riveting.

Steve R.

Proctologically Violated©® January 3rd 06 07:51 AM

Balls

Collecting debts.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Cliff January 3rd 06 01:26 PM

Balls

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:48:37 +0000 (UTC), "Burt Gummer"
wrote:

Peining sheet metals like copper, bronze, brass etc its shape.

Well, there are tooling hammers too ...
--
Cliff

Cliff January 3rd 06 01:29 PM

Balls

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:11:45 -0500, "Dixon"
wrote:

flat ends

Are those really flat or do they have a slight radius?

How about a claw hammer, like jb has?
(Does he know which end is which?)
--
Cliff

Cliff January 3rd 06 01:32 PM

Balls

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:14:33 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
So what uses have you found for the ball end of a ball-peen
(ball pein) hammer?
--
Cliff

One can close (slightly) the mouth of a reamed hole by placing the ball in
the mouth of the hole, and whacking it with something. Obviously it's a
*very* bad idea to hit two hammers with hardened heads together. I'd
recommend a non-ferrous hammer/whacking device.

Center-punched your layout a little bit off (it happens)?
You can peen the punch-hole shut, perhaps file, and try again.
--
Cliff

Robin S. January 3rd 06 09:44 PM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message

Center-punched your layout a little bit off (it happens)?
You can peen the punch-hole shut, perhaps file, and try again.

Layout hole? The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

The ball-pien/bearing technique is only used to adjust fit, not location...

Regards,

Robin

Charlie Gary January 3rd 06 10:29 PM

Balls

Robin S. wrote:
"Cliff" wrote in message

Center-punched your layout a little bit off (it happens)?
You can peen the punch-hole shut, perhaps file, and try again.

Layout hole? The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

The ball-pien/bearing technique is only used to adjust fit, not location...

Regards,

Robin

Have you ever tried using a socket larger than the pin to peen the
surface around the hole? It works slicker than snot on aluminum. I
would imagine an impact socket would work on steel. Just make sure the
first time you try it the pin is already in the hole. Put the socket
over the pin, center it nicely, and smack it with your hammer. Takes
the slip right out of slip fit.

Later,

Charlie

Cliff January 3rd 06 10:53 PM

Balls

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:44:51 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .

Center-punched your layout a little bit off (it happens)?
You can peen the punch-hole shut, perhaps file, and try again.

Layout hole?

The litte spot made in the laid-out stock created by a center punch.

The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

More problems .. "location dosn't matter -we fix it later".

The ball-pien/bearing technique is only used to adjust fit, not location...

"Don't trust anybody over 30." - Jack Weinberg (?)
There are a lot of old far** hereabouts G.
--
Cliff

Garlicdude January 3rd 06 11:57 PM

Balls

Robin S. wrote:

Layout hole? The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

The ball-pien/bearing technique is only used to adjust fit, not location...

Regards,

Robin

Robin, Is this using a German ball pien hammer or a Canadian one?

Best,
Steve

--
Regards,
Steve Saling

jk January 4th 06 12:44 AM

Balls

And also straight pein, which is like cross pein, but at right angles
to it (i.e. in line with the hammer handle).

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Which would then make "ball-pein" redundant, no?
----------------------------

NO! There are also cross pein hammers and probably others.
...lew...

jk

jk January 4th 06 12:45 AM

Balls

zadoc wrote:

Isn't a ball the same as a sphere? If so, how can it be attached to
the hammer head? Shouldn't it be described as a hemispherical head
hammer? :-)

Nope, cause I can have a ball, going to a ball. But I won't have a
sphere going to a sphere. :)

jk

Antipodean Bucket Farmer January 4th 06 01:55 AM

Balls

In article
.com
, says...

Robin S. wrote:
"Cliff" wrote in message

Center-punched your layout a little bit off (it happens)?
You can peen the punch-hole shut, perhaps file, and try again.

Layout hole? The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

The ball-pien/bearing technique is only used to adjust fit, not location...

Regards,

Robin

Have you ever tried using a socket larger than the pin to peen the
surface around the hole? It works slicker than snot on aluminum. I
would imagine an impact socket would work on steel. Just make sure the
first time you try it the pin is already in the hole. Put the socket
over the pin, center it nicely, and smack it with your hammer. Takes
the slip right out of slip fit.

I don't even want to know what kind of sexual
perversions you two are discussing...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Robin S. January 4th 06 03:52 AM

Balls

"Charlie Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Have you ever tried using a socket larger than the pin to peen the
surface around the hole? It works slicker than snot on aluminum. I
would imagine an impact socket would work on steel. Just make sure the
first time you try it the pin is already in the hole. Put the socket
over the pin, center it nicely, and smack it with your hammer. Takes
the slip right out of slip fit.

Charlie,

Neat tip. I'll try it next time. Thanks.

Regards,

Robin

Robin S. January 4th 06 03:55 AM

Balls

"Cliff" wrote in message

The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

More problems .. "location dosn't matter -we fix it later".

Doesn't really need to be "fixed" as it isn't broken. The exact location of
a dowel hole is not really important as long as one half matches the other.
Obviously this is always the case as the two halves are made at the same
time.

There are issues like drilling into other features if you're not careful,
but the engineering department has started to mark hole locations as opposed
to letting the toolmaker decide. This doesn't do much for interchangability,
but that's another kettle.

Regards,

Robin

Proctologically Violated©® January 4th 06 06:36 AM

Balls

goddamm--fukn hammers be complicated!

I think overall, the mason's hammer (which Webster's lists as a kind of
pein) would be best for debt collection.
That, or a lump hammer, aimed at the groin. :)
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Cliff January 4th 06 06:53 AM

Balls

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:55:58 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .

The location of our dowel holes doesn't matter as we ream the
blocks while they're in the shoe.

More problems .. "location dosn't matter -we fix it later".

Doesn't really need to be "fixed" as it isn't broken.

-A-

The exact location of
a dowel hole is not really important as long as one half matches the other.
Obviously this is always the case as the two halves are made at the same
time.

There are issues like drilling into other features if you're not careful,
but the engineering department has started to mark hole locations as opposed
to letting the toolmaker decide.

After how many years?

This doesn't do much for interchangability,
but that's another kettle.

See -A- above.
--
Cliff