Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default 200 watt fan enough for 9.6 kW duct heater?

Ignoramus32654 wrote:
I have a 2x2 feet 200 watt square box fan. I measured its power
consumption with a Kill-a-watt watt meter, and it measured at about
205 watts on the highest setting. It perceptibly blows a lot of air
and creates quite a wind.

Keeping in mind that I have not yet even received the heater... Would
a 200 watt fan move enough air to cool down a 9.6 kW coil?

thanks

No. It wont have enough airflow. As mentioned, there are plenty of
alternatives, and probably much easier to fit to the duct heater you
are getting. (BTW - i hope electricity is cheap in your neck of the
woods...). Centrifugal blowers, or Squirrel(sp) cage blowers spring to
mind - any number of surplus outlets sell them, or check out your local
junkyard.
They usually have a 6inch square (or better) outlet on them - easier to
fit.

What I do recommend is a thermal cutoff inside the beast - they only
cost a few bucks (used as safety cutouts in clothes dryers - check the
junkpikes) - they are in series with the heater element, and go open
circuit if the blower fails. A simple (even flywire gauze) filter in
the input would be a good idea as well - stop small children being
sucked in (or, at least, dust bunnies, fluff, swarf etc.)

Andrew VK3BFA.