Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default 200 watt fan enough for 9.6 kW duct heater?

A box fan is a very low effiency unit that works fine as long as it has
virtually NO back pressure. Make it do any work and it jsut quits moving
any appreciable amount of air. Squirrel cage blowers are much better if
you have any back pressure.

The standard measurement for such units is in inches of water column.
Box fans run at .05" or less, squirrel cage units run .1" to .8".
Centrifical fans take over for 1" and up. You can rig up a simple tester
using a piece of clear plastic hose (aquarium air hose is perfect) with
a bit of tinted water in it.

If your application is just some coils hung in the airflow of your box
fan, it will probably work. If you try and sqeeze it down with ductwork,
probably not.

Ignoramus32654 wrote:

I have a 2x2 feet 200 watt square box fan. I measured its power
consumption with a Kill-a-watt watt meter, and it measured at about
205 watts on the highest setting. It perceptibly blows a lot of air
and creates quite a wind.

Keeping in mind that I have not yet even received the heater... Would
a 200 watt fan move enough air to cool down a 9.6 kW coil?

thanks