Old September 18th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dalton Lathes

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote:
My son is restoring a Dalton lathe for his engineering for his HS project. He
will need some help identifying it. It doesn’t appear to have a visible
serial number, just patent plates etc on front and side. Shows patent number
and 1922 as last patent listed. Engine actually works, most parts are there.
Trying to identify and run down owners manual etc. He hopes to restore it by
end of this school year for a Maker’s Fair exhibit. Can you help out?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Old October 15th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 11:31:31 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

I just acquired a Dalton from my father. I believe he acquired it from a local school.

It's a short lot 5, I think the s/n is 275 but I will confirm.

Has a roughly made table and a couple of pails of parts.

Some light rust and it's obviously not been used in awhile. Unfortunately the gear cover and part of the end support were broken and then crudely welded. I'll have to see what I can do to make them more presentable.

I have a small Chinese lathe in running condition, so I plan on taking the Dalton apart and basically rebuilding it. Dalton has a slightly larger swing and longer ways and I suspect it will be a better machine once I get it running again.

Curious if there's any information on what colors these originally came in. Mine's covered in sloppy grey paint but I suspect it's been repainted numerous times.

I'm a little sore from moving this thing by myself and I have a stack of other projects pending, but I hope to make the Dalton a winter project.

Old January 12th 19, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
I have a Dalton lathe with a 4 " 3 jaw chuck made by The D.E. Whiton Co. New
London Con.
The jaws are marked; AK1, AK2, AK3. The # 3 jaw has several teeth missing. Is
there a
way to repair the jaw or replace it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Old January 20th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok so I bought one off an elderly lady back in 2005. It has quite a few extra parts including all the gears. I really just use it as a hobby lathe for small project. I repaired the motor/spindle mount and electrics when I bought it. The headstock has
Ex’s than 0.003” runout shttps://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZo I’m happy. Recently I was chatting on Reddit and was encouraged to make contact with you. I have no idea what I have other than it’s a dalton six. Here’s a video of it in operation.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZc

Call or text me at(260) 750-0609

Old January 29th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 14:34:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Ok so I bought one off an elderly lady back in 2005. It has quite a few extra parts including all the gears. I really just use it as a hobby lathe for small project. I repaired the motor/spindle mount and electrics when I bought it. The headstock has
Exs than 0.003 runout shttps://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZo Im happy. Recently I was chatting on Reddit and was encouraged to make contact with you. I have no idea what I have other than its a dalton six. Heres a video of it in operation.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZc

Call or text me at(260) 750-0609

What are you planning on doing with this nice old lathe?

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Old February 9th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I just purchased a dalton lathe that plan to use for small bike projects. The end of the bed is 24" from the chuck and the # on the end of bed is 6186.. I would appreciate an y information on this machine, also what weight machine oil do you use in the spindle oilers. Thanks.

ray
Old February 17th 19, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 04:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 02:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 01:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 01:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 02:13 PM