Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Thank you all, good people - and Seasons Greetings.

A note to say "thank you" to all the people who contribute to this
group - I am new to metalwerking (at least, on an "attempted precision"
basis) and lurking on posts, following links, and just plain searching
has given me SO much more knowledge. The questions I have asked have
been answered, and I have learnt from them.

My main interest has been home brewing radio gear - started getting
basic metalworking tools for that - but have become increasingly
fascinated by what can be done by people on this group - taught myself
to weld, and the possibilities are just getting bigger and better.

yesterday, I bought a simple pan brake - needs to be modded to be able
to make boxes, but I now know how to do it. Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe (and its NOT BIG ENOUGH) and
still dont know what half the things that came with it are for, but am
learning. Have invested in 3 different hammers (precision adjusting
tools, someone here called them) - a new steel rule, a plastic vernier
calipers. Can "sort off" sharpen lathe tool bits on my bench grinder.
Cant do drill bits yet - need to work this one out...and I need a
bigger workshop!

So thanks, folks - have a good Xmas, and a Nice New Year. May you get
the tools you want from Santa (or may you smuggle them into the
workshop without attracting too much flak from people who dont
appreciate the intrinsic beauty of such things....)

73 de VK3BFA Andrew.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article .com,
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote:

to make boxes, but I now know how to do it. Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe (and its NOT BIG ENOUGH) and
still dont know what half the things that came with it are for, but am
learning. Have invested in 3 different hammers (precision adjusting
tools, someone here called them) - a new steel rule, a plastic vernier
calipers. Can "sort off" sharpen lathe tool bits on my bench grinder.
Cant do drill bits yet - need to work this one out...and I need a
bigger workshop!

Look about in libraries (price is right), old book shops, and the like
for old machinist books, such as the classic, small, simple, but
comprehensive "How to run a Lathe", originally published by South Bend.
Presently available in reprints, though I don't know how fast those
sources would get to Australia, and I imagine there are a few thousand
copies running around your country already, if you seek them out.

For some stuff the newer books are better, for running manual machines,
I think the books that were in vogue when manual machines were the state
of the art offer more to the hobbyist with manual machines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Ecnerwal wrote:

Look about in libraries (price is right), old book shops, and the like
for old machinist books, such as the classic, small, simple, but
comprehensive "How to run a Lathe", originally published by South Bend.

Thank you - have ordered a copy from a local seller.

73 de VK3BFA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest is
flat.

Harold

Merry Christmas! (Or should that be Happy Holidays?) g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
michael

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
A note to say "thank you" to all the people who contribute to this
group - I am new to metalwerking (at least, on an "attempted precision"
basis) and lurking on posts, following links, and just plain searching
has given me SO much more knowledge. The questions I have asked have
been answered, and I have learnt from them.

My main interest has been home brewing radio gear - started getting
basic metalworking tools for that - but have become increasingly
fascinated by what can be done by people on this group - taught myself
to weld, and the possibilities are just getting bigger and better.

Obviously showing symptoms typical of the onset of the "if I had some
more tools, I could..." disease.

yesterday, I bought a simple pan brake - needs to be modded to be able
to make boxes, but I now know how to do it. Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe (and its NOT BIG ENOUGH)

There it is! Proof positive of the rapid development of "the disease".

and
still dont know what half the things that came with it are for, but am
learning. Have invested in 3 different hammers (precision adjusting
tools, someone here called them) - a new steel rule, a plastic vernier
calipers. Can "sort off" sharpen lathe tool bits on my bench grinder.
Cant do drill bits yet - need to work this one out...and I need a
bigger workshop!

So thanks, folks - have a good Xmas, and a Nice New Year. May you get
the tools you want from Santa (or may you smuggle them into the
workshop without attracting too much flak from people who dont
appreciate the intrinsic beauty of such things....)

73 de VK3BFA Andrew.

If you get professional help now, it may not be too late. Although, that
'intrinsic beauty' comment may indicate you have gone hopelessly over
the edge. No practical cure is known at that point.

You've embarked on a wonderful and potentially satisfying journey. Good
luck with your creations and Merry Christmas.

michael

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest is
flat.

Not based on my old Unimat SL-1000. That one used plain M6x1.0
threads for all leadscrews. (And M12x10. thread for the spindle nose
and the duplicate one on the tailstock ram.)

But I agree that it *should* have Acme threads. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest

is
flat.

Not based on my old Unimat SL-1000. That one used plain M6x1.0
threads for all leadscrews. (And M12x10. thread for the spindle nose
and the duplicate one on the tailstock ram.)

But I agree that it *should* have Acme threads.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Chuckle! Just goes to show how much I know about those little suckers! No
way would I have imagined otherwise, although I did leave the door open for
the possibility ("chances are good:").

Shocking, really. The little 109 Craftsman I purchased as a boy, at a
whopping $49, new, had an Acme lead screw.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(And M12x10. thread for the spindle nose
and the duplicate one on the tailstock ram.)

But I agree that it *should* have Acme threads. :-)

If it really has M12 * 10, even I would prefer an ACME thread.

Ni-SCNR-ck
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article .com,
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote:

A note to say "thank you" to all the people who contribute to this
group - I am new to metalwerking (at least, on an "attempted precision"
basis) and lurking on posts, following links, and just plain searching
has given me SO much more knowledge. The questions I have asked have
been answered, and I have learnt from them.

Seconded -- with enthusiasm!

This is possibly the most helpful collection of experts on Usenet -- OK
there's sci.engr.joining.welding,
but many of the folks on here also frequent that group.

3 different hammers (precision adjusting
tools, someone here called them) -

That might have been me. I keep an 8-pound sledge with an 18" handle for
those precision jobs. (And for starting draws on 1" + stock. -- Oh, my
aching arm!

a new steel rule, a plastic vernier
calipers.

I'd recommend the best _steel_ measuring tools you can afford. (Vernier
Calipers and Micrometers at least). I keep a plastic one on the bench at
work, but I only consider its readings a best guess for picking out the
right size tubing clamp etc. (And it gives the sales guys something they
can measure tubing with without ruining the tool -- much.

I'm not a machinist, (yet) but I found high-quality measuring tools a
godsend assembling overhead crane gearboxes, wheels, Shaft couplings,
etc. You really need measurements you can count on -- or you will find
you do soon as the addiction progresses.

Can "sort off" sharpen lathe tool bits on my bench grinder.
Cant do drill bits yet - need to work this one out...and I need a
bigger workshop!

So thanks, folks - have a good Xmas, and a Nice New Year. May you get
the tools you want from Santa (or may you smuggle them into the
workshop without attracting too much flak from people who dont
appreciate the intrinsic beauty of such things....)

You're hooked! Don't fight it, it'll only get better.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Chanukah, Joyous Solstice, etc.
etc. to you too and to everyone else here!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest is
flat.

Harold

Merry Christmas! (Or should that be Happy Holidays?) g

In other words, an acme thread has a kinda-square profile, as opposed to
a triangular profile like "regular" threads.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

snipped

So thanks, folks - have a good Xmas, and a Nice New Year. May you get
the tools you want from Santa (or may you smuggle them into the
workshop without attracting too much flak from people who dont
appreciate the intrinsic beauty of such things....)

73 de VK3BFA Andrew.

Yes, and happy holidays to you too.

If I get any more tools our house will be in imminent danger of breaking
through the crust of the earth and sinking down into the magma .... from
the combined weight of a lifetime of acquiring tools combined with 40
years worth of National Geographic magazines stored in the basement.

Just remember this ... No amount of careful planning and measuring will
exceed the results you can get from dumb luck. (Occasionally.)

73 de W1BSV (ne W6KAH)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest

is
flat.

Harold

Merry Christmas! (Or should that be Happy Holidays?) g

In other words, an acme thread has a kinda-square profile, as opposed to
a triangular profile like "regular" threads.

--

Tim Wescott

Well, sorta. You have to be careful to not confuse an Acme with a square
thread, which resemble one another quite a bit. Difference? The 29
degree included angle that the Acme enjoys as opposed to the square
shoulders of a square thread.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Yes, sorta. I could have been more clear, but while I felt that your
description was perfect for telling the difference between acme and
square it wouldn't necessarily ring any bells in the head of a non
mechanical person.

Do you know what the functional differences are between acme and
60-degree "regular" threads? I assume it's because regular threads tend
to wedge in when they get tight which is a good thing in a fastener and
a bad thing in a lead screw -- but I don't know.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:06:50 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
roups.com...
snip----

Still dont know what an
ACME thread is. Have a small Unimat lathe

If your Unimat has a lead screw, chances are good it is an Acme thread.
The thread has an included angle of 29 degrees, and the root and crest is
flat.
Harold
Merry Christmas! (Or should that be Happy Holidays?) g

===========
As the Unimat is European there is a change it has the metric
trapezoidal thread which has a 30 degree included angle rather
than the 29 degree Acme. Anybody ever figure out why 29 and not
30 degrees?

Uncle George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Nick Müller :
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(And M12x10. thread for the spindle nose
and the duplicate one on the tailstock ram.)

But I agree that it *should* have Acme threads. :-)

If it really has M12 * 10, even I would prefer an ACME thread.

You're right -- that should be M12x1.0. I'm not sure that I
would want to see a M12x10 thread -- acme or V-type.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
snip--
Do you know what the functional differences are between acme and
60-degree "regular" threads? I assume it's because regular threads tend
to wedge in when they get tight which is a good thing in a fastener and
a bad thing in a lead screw -- but I don't know.

--

Tim Wescott

Acme is used in place of a square thread to avoid wedging, but not so for
the typical 60 degree thread. Acme is used for two good reasons. One of
which is it's typically fast lead, the other is its greater strength,
particularly on small diameter parts, where a fast lead with a coarse 60
degree thread isn't possible. You do have the option of multiple entry
threads in that situation, but the Acme is still the stronger, and generally
more desirable design.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Grimm