Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ConcreteArtist

Default Square Shank Reamer questions

Are square shank reamers made to work in a drill press or on a lathe?
Is there a special chuck for these?
What other bits come with a square shank?

If you didn't have a drill press what would you buy for your first one?
What features are good to have?

I understand a drill press is one of the most versatile tools you can
have - is that your experience?

What kind of training is recommended?

Why is the sky blue?

Thanks

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

ConcreteArtist wrote:

Are square shank reamers made to work in a drill press or on a lathe?

No, these are hand reamers, to be held with a tap wrench. You can put a rod with
a 60° tip on it in the DP chuck, or you can put a lathe center in the tailstock
of a lathe, and use this to catch the center of the square shank of the reamer
(which almost certainly is drilled for it) and thus hold the reamer square to
your hole, which is good.

Is there a special chuck for these?
What other bits come with a square shank?

Well, taps come with square shanks..

Read http://www.tinyisland.com/htbdrillp.txt, it's old but still valid.

I understand a drill press is one of the most versatile tools you can
have - is that your experience?

When I had one, I used it a lot until I got a milling machine. But I don't know
about versatile. It's true, some guys use them to sharpen wood chisels, stir
paint, or the like but they're mostly for drilling holes. Big issue is how
accurately you can locate your holes with respect to an edge or other holes. On
a DP, you can get maybe .005" accuracy, and sometimes .010" and often this isn't
good enough. Back in the day I drilled lots of pieces with multiple holes and it
was always a big worry if the bolts would always fit through. None of that on a
mill with a DRO, mill 'em and drop the bolts in.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Square shank reamers are HAND reamers, to be driven by a tap wrench by
hand.

Chucking them and using them in the lathe, drill press, or milling
machine, under power will in all likelihood break something (reamer,
work piece, fingers) because odds are the reamer will jam into the
hole.

Hand reamers have a long, gentle taper at the cutting end, and this
entire tapered length is the cutting edge. The long taper makes it
easy to push the reamer with drill quill or tailstock, overloading the
flutes, breaking reamers in the smaller sizes.

It is ok to support the reamer in the machine using centers but, the
reamer should be driven by hand. Note that the reaming allowance is
only a few thou. for hand reamers.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rastus

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:00:52 +0000, Ignoramus16420 wrote:

if anyone wants SS reamers, I have a bunch of big ones...

What sizes do you have, Iggy?
Are they sharp?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ConcreteArtist

Thanks Grant.

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ConcreteArtist

Thanks Wolfgang.

Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:46:47 -0800, ConcreteArtist wrote:

Are square shank reamers made to work in a drill press or on a lathe?
Is there a special chuck for these?
What other bits come with a square shank?

If you didn't have a drill press what would you buy for your first one?
What features are good to have?

I understand a drill press is one of the most versatile tools you can
have - is that your experience?

What kind of training is recommended?

Why is the sky blue?

Because, in sufficient quantities, air is blue. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich