Posted to rec.woodworking
Genedoc

Default Help with moldings and out of square widow frames

I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames.
SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new
door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but
have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames
perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square
window peek out at one end of the run? Measurements show that the
worst ones are off by 1/8" over two feet. Hope this makes enough
sense that the experienced finish folks can help. TIA-hey my offer to
answer your questions about DNA still stands-going way back to the saw
bearing questions last summer ;-)

David

Posted to rec.woodworking
Battleax

"Genedoc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames.
SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new
door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but
have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames
perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square
window peek out at one end of the run? Measurements show that the
worst ones are off by 1/8" over two feet. Hope this makes enough
sense that the experienced finish folks can help. TIA-hey my offer to
answer your questions about DNA still stands-going way back to the saw
bearing questions last summer ;-)

David

1/8 over 24" isn't too bad. I'd just tweak your angles to suit your needs.
1/8 over 2 feet is only about .2 of a degree

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Genedoc" wrote in message

I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames.
SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new
door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but
have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames
perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square
window peek out at one end of the run?

Best to match the angle precisely if you can ... it will look "right".

Relatively easy to do with a few different tools: a sliding bevel
gauge/square and a protractor (or the saw itself), or a protractor square,
to name a couple:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...36,50298,43508

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,51657

Methodology is simply to determine the actual angle with tool(s), then use
'complementary' angles in your cuts to cut the two miters at that joint.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eddie Munster

Here's what to try. Starting with the second piece, fit the miters
together and nail it up. Fles it along for whatever reveal you are doing
and nail the other end. The thing to do is to flex it as you mount it.
The last piece you stitch up one corner (first make sure it fits!) flex
it so the other miter fits, nail it up then flex the middle to the
reveal you are working to. What are some up and comming gene therapy
companies I should look into investing in?

John

Genedoc wrote:
I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames.
SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new
door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but
have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames
perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square
window peek out at one end of the run? Measurements show that the
worst ones are off by 1/8" over two feet. Hope this makes enough
sense that the experienced finish folks can help. TIA-hey my offer to
answer your questions about DNA still stands-going way back to the saw
bearing questions last summer ;-)

David

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
Here's what to try. Starting with the second piece, fit the miters
together and nail it up. Fles it along for whatever reveal you are doing
and nail the other end. The thing to do is to flex it as you mount it.
The last piece you stitch up one corner (first make sure it fits!) flex
it so the other miter fits, nail it up then flex the middle to the
reveal you are working to. What are some up and comming gene therapy
companies I should look into investing in?

Caulk cloning companies.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Genedoc

Uncle Fester says don't step on the land mine of recommending
investments (not my area of expertise). I missed Amgen at $12 a share
and another one that was going to make me rich went under before any
IPO. If I only had a crystal ball. ;-(

David

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 16 Nov 2005 13:15:56 -0800, "Genedoc" wrote:

I need help on putting moldings around out of square window frames.
SWMBO and the designer decided that casings/moldings matching a new
door in the bedroom would dress up the windows. I have a chop saw but
have never really done anything like this. Do you make the frames
perfectly square so the miters look good and let the out of square
window peek out at one end of the run?

The frame being off 1/8" isn't too bad.
When I trim windows I cut the trim with the same reveal all the way
around the window jamb. Your trim will be off as much as the window
is out of square but no one will see it as the reveal will remain
constant.
If you are doing a stool and apron install the stool first then make
sure the square end of each leg fits, mark the 45 at the top and cut.
I usually install both legs (whether stool or picture frame) then fit
the header(s). That way I can correct both angles (if needed) with one
trip back to the saw. Some guys prefer to work their way around the
window.

Mike O.