Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default Subaru problem solved...

Hi all,
In the off chance that anybody cares, here is what happened with the
Subaru cold start problem that I posted about here a few days back.

After having the repair place attempt to read the fault code with
their high tech snap-on scanner and getting nothing and changing the
coolant temp sensor, the problem persisted. Still not starting cold, rad
fans running, and constant "check engine" light. After pleading here for
help, and getting a few good links to Subaru code extracting procedures,
(Thanks L. Jaques!) I braved the cold yesterday and crawled under the
dash to locate the test connectors. According to the procedure, there
are 2 wires that you hook together, then turn on the key to get the
computer to flash the codes to you. I found and connected them, turned
on the key and waited. There was lots of odd relay clicking sounds, for
a few seconds, check engine light stayed on, no codes flashed to me, and
then the radiator fans shut off! Then the clicking stopped. Feeling bold
that something had changed, I turned the key. Engine cranked for a few
seconds, fired and purred!! That after a day and a half of sitting out
in below freezing weather. Check engine light went out, fans stayed off
and the idle dropped as it warmed up. Engine warmed up, rad fans cycled
as they should. Back to normal, YEAH!

Feeling a bit reserved, I did not deem it offically fixed until this
morning, after a series of cold starts last night and this morning.
Every one perfect.

Not sure excatly what happened, but am blaming the temp sensor, and
crediting a test-mode-reset of the computer as the final step. That last
part is likely BS, but I am not above making stuff up to convince my
daughter that I am brilliant (even in the face of evidance to the contrary).

Thanks again for all or your responses and ideas. This gang never lets
me down.

Much appreciated!

AL A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Al A. wrote:
[...]

It is pretty clear that the procedure with the wires was the computer
reset option, not the code readout option. Why the hell the computer
couldn't get a good reading on engine temp is not obvious. Maybe the
program is set to totally ignore all sensor readings once it has decided
the sensor has failed. I suppose that makes some sense. leaving the
fans running all the time can't hurt anything, leaving them off due
to believing a faulty sensor could melt the engine. Most likely,
disconnecting the battery for a minute would have accomplished the
same reset.

Well, the real news is the thing is RUNNING! Congrats!

(I was never very successful in reading out codes the one time I needed
to, but did manage to run the automatic engine diagnosic procedure on
a Ford Taurus once. It was a real trip, letting a computer take over
complete control of a car engine. It shuts down one bank of the engine
at a time to play with the oxygen sensors, shuts down one cylinder at a
time to check each injector, varies ignition timing, runs the idle air
control through the full range, etc.)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Al A. wrote:

[...]

Probably had a windoz operating system in the computer. It just needed
to be booted.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

john wrote:

Al A. wrote:

SNIP

Not sure excatly what happened, but am blaming the temp sensor, and
crediting a test-mode-reset of the computer as the final step. That
last part is likely BS, but I am not above making stuff up to convince
my daughter that I am brilliant (even in the face of evidance to the
contrary).

Thanks again for all or your responses and ideas. This gang never
lets me down.

Much appreciated!

AL A.

Probably had a windoz operating system in the computer. It just needed
to be booted.

John

You never know. I recall reading a commentary in some tech journal
where the writer was commenting on something Bill Gates had said
concerning the integration of windows OS into appliances, vehicles, etc.
The writer made the observation that if Windows were to be used in a
vehicle like an airliner, that the term "Blue Screen of Death" would
take on a whole new meaning...

Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:18:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Al
A." quickly quoth:

Hi all,
In the off chance that anybody cares, here is what happened with the
Subaru cold start problem that I posted about here a few days back.

After having the repair place attempt to read the fault code with
their high tech snap-on scanner and getting nothing and changing the
coolant temp sensor, the problem persisted. Still not starting cold, rad
fans running, and constant "check engine" light. After pleading here for
help, and getting a few good links to Subaru code extracting procedures,
(Thanks L. Jaques!) I braved the cold yesterday and crawled under the

Jewelcome. I'm glad the test routine sorted it out. So, how much
are you charging your daughter for your brilliance? A fresh apple
pie...or would that be pumpkin?

Not sure excatly what happened, but am blaming the temp sensor, and
crediting a test-mode-reset of the computer as the final step. That last
part is likely BS, but I am not above making stuff up to convince my
daughter that I am brilliant (even in the face of evidance to the contrary).

Computers are strange critters. That may very well have been the
actual solution. Take it and run with it!

Thanks again for all or your responses and ideas. This gang never lets
me down.

Yeah, this is a great group, isn't it? Between my brothers over on the
Wreck and the great guys here, I feel very blessed with "family."

-
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Daughter is a starving college student. I may be able to get a pie of
some sort, but I can't be sure. While she will make a great nurse pretty
soon, we need to work on her cooking skills a bit, I think. With what
nurses are making around here these days, she may soon be able to pay ME
to cook for her. She is the oldest of our gang, great kid, hard worker.

And yes, this is a great group. Usenet is an amazing resourse, even
when the S/N ratio is not running high. When you think about the amount
of information and collective experience available at the click of a
mouse, it is mind boggling.

Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:23:07 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

(I was never very successful in reading out codes the one time I needed
to, but did manage to run the automatic engine diagnosic procedure on a
Ford Taurus once. It was a real trip, letting a computer take over
complete control of a car engine. It shuts down one bank of the engine
at a time to play with the oxygen sensors, shuts down one cylinder at a
time to check each injector, varies ignition timing, runs the idle air
control through the full range, etc.)

I once had a motorhead neighbor/buddy, and a Ford Econoline van, the kind
with the doghouse. We took the doghouse off and he diddled with the
engine while I drove it down the freeway. I think that's the happiest
I've ever seen a man. :-)

It was almost too noisy to talk, but it was pretty kewl. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich