Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help needed wiring an electric motor.

Hi all,
In my search for wiring information I've come upon this group. Maybe
someone here can help me out.

I'm in the process of heating my shop with an outdoor wood burning
boiler, (it heats my home also).
I just had a squirrel cage fan given to me and I really don't have a
clue as to how to wire it up. I don't even know what it came out of but
here's what the tag on the motor says;

EMERSON MODEL K55HXLGF-3701 HP 3/4
VOLT 115 HZ 60 AMP 11.0 PH 1
R.P.M. 1075/4SP THERMALLY PROTECTED
PT NO 51-21459-02 MFG. NO K92 C
INS CL A AIR OVER CONT FRAME 48Y

Also over on the right side of the tag it has;

12.5MFD
370 VAC
CAPACITOR

It has 7 total wires, ( one being the green case ground)
the other 6 wires are;
Red
Blue
Yellow
White
Black
Brown

I'm guessing a few things here;
1. This is a 4 speed motor?
2. I'll need a 12.5MFD 370 VAC CAPACITOR?
3. To get 4 speeds I'll also need a 4 speed switch?

Questions;
1. How do I wire this thing? (Of course!)
2. Where do I get the capaciter, (if I need it)?
3. Where do I get a 4 speed switch, (and approximate price)?
4. Could I wire it up for 1 speed only?

I'm definately not an electrician. I'm familiar with household wiring
but not the technical terms and what they mean, so you'll have to keep
your explainations simple as best you can.

Thanks in advance! (I just hope I can find this again) LOL!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I very much doubt that this is a four speed motor. I've never seen a
four speed induction motor and I doubt they exist. They would be very
bulky and probably inefficient, too.

The data plate just gives one speed, so I think this is a single speed
motor. 1075 rpm fits with a six pole machine running on 60 Hz. The data
plate also mentions thermal protection, so I'm guessing that two of the
wires lead to a thermal cut-out. What follows is my best guess about the
motor type.

If you have an ohm meter, carefully measure the resistances between the
wires which emerge from the motor. Make sure there is a good connection
between the ohm meter and the wire. I suspect this is a single speed
"capacitor run" motor. If so, I'd expect you to be able to identify
three pairs of wires. Each pair should have a fairly low electrical
resistance between them, but should not be connected to any other wire.

If this is the case, the pair with pretty much zero resistance between
them will be the thermal cut-out (unless it's broken), the pair with the
next lowest resistance will be the main winding, and the pair with the
highest resistance will be the capacitor run winding. If there are two
windings of equal resistance, this motor is designed to be easily
reversible and it doesn't matter which is used for the main winding (let
me know if this is the case and I'll send you a diagram of the reversing
circuit). Connect the capacitor in series with the capacitor run
winding. Then connect the capacitor and capacitor run winding (together)
in parallel with the main winding. Then connect the thermal cut-out in
series with all of this, hook up to the supply and cautiously apply power.

If my guess was right the motor will run. If it runs in the wrong
direction, reverse the connections to either the main winding or
capacitor run winding (but not both). If it doesn't run, it's a weird
kind of motor which will require more investigation, or a dead motor.

Capacitors should be available from motor repair shops (along with
advice if you're lucky). Check your Yellow Pages for details.

Good luck!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Rick wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi all,
In my search for wiring information I've come upon this group.

Maybe

someone here can help me out.

I'm in the process of heating my shop with an outdoor wood burning
boiler, (it heats my home also).
I just had a squirrel cage fan given to me and I really don't have

clue as to how to wire it up. I don't even know what it came out

of but

here's what the tag on the motor says;

EMERSON MODEL K55HXLGF-3701 HP 3/4
VOLT 115 HZ 60 AMP 11.0

PH 1

R.P.M. 1075/4SP THERMALLY PROTECTED
PT NO 51-21459-02 MFG. NO K92 C
INS CL A AIR OVER CONT FRAME 48Y

Catalog shows that's from a Rheem...

Having searched for Rheem online, I'll eat my words. It looks like this
is indeed a four speed motor. All the fans of this size I've seen in
England have been fixed speed using a PSC motor, with the smaller ones
using shaded pole motors. If anyone knows the exact arrangement of
windings these motors use, I'd be interested to know.

Sorry for the confusion!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:26:19 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy

[...]

This is standard blower motor wiring. Brown will be to the capacitor
with the other leg of the capacitor to one of the line in wires (but I
can't remember which off the top of my head some motors have two brown
which both go to the capacitor and don't use the line wire to
capacitor). Black will be high, blue med high, yellow med low, and red
low. White is neutral.

I very much doubt that this is a four speed motor. I've never seen a
four speed induction motor and I doubt they exist. They would be very
bulky and probably inefficient, too.

Then you've not been around many central heating units have you.
They exist and in fact are real common.

The data plate just gives one speed, so I think this is a single speed
motor. 1075 rpm fits with a six pole machine running on 60 Hz. The data
plate also mentions thermal protection, so I'm guessing that two of the
wires lead to a thermal cut-out. What follows is my best guess about the
motor type.

It's a capacitor run motor which is standard for blower motors.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Wayne Cook wrote:
[...]

Hot air central heating is uncommon in English homes. There was a
fashion for using it in cheaply built 1960s and '70s homes, but it was
generally poorly implemented and noisy, so it fell out of favour and the
standard is now water central heating. We had a house with hot air
central heating while I was at school. The boiler was like a coffin on
end which stood in our kitchen. It had hardly any controls: on/off and a
temperature control which you had to turn with a coin, if I remember
correctly. Some large buildings here use hot air central heating, or
water central heating with a blower behind the radiator. Those that I've
seen either use a PSC motor or more commonly a three phase motor, but in
both cases they've been single speed. Modern factory heating systems
might use variable speed motors, but most of the stuff I work on dates
back a few years. It looks like the domestic technology developed in the
US, but died in England.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:23:58 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

[...]

He was right about ONE thing though, they are TERRIBLY inefficient.
That's why DC variable speed blower motors are becoming more common -
MUCH more efficient.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Christopher Tidy :
Wayne Cook wrote:

[...]

One reason for the technology living on in the US is that here
we tend to need air conditioning in the summer as well, and a combined
hot-air furnace and air conditioner is a quite reasonable way to go
about it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

DoN. Nichols wrote:

snip

[...]

That makes good sense, Don. No one has air conditioning here. Also, if
it's a combined AC/heating system, the inefficiency of the motor won't
be an issue for half the year. Do you know the exact arrangement of
windings employed in these motors? I'm curious to know.

Best wishes,

Chris