Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Default Repairing wall mounted gas heater.

I am repairing a wall mounted gas heater. These are often found in
hallways of many apartments in San Francisco, and probably in many other
parts of the country as well.

The pilot light would not stay lit, so my first thought was to take a
look at the thermocouple. It looked old and worn, so I replaced it.

After reassembling the heater and lighting the pilot light, it stayed
lit without a problem and the heater worked again as it should.

Unfortunately, it was not just the pilot light that stayed lit. Gas was
also burning through a small leak below the brass nut (at red arrow in
bottom picture at http://www.abrasha.com/misc/heater_536.htm) that
attaches the "pilot tube" to the pilot light assembly. The pilot tube
connects the gas valve to the pilot light assembly. (see top picture)

I took the tube off, to see if there was dirt in there that prevented a
good seal. No dirt. However, the small brass fitting, that sits inside
the nut when attached properly,around the top of the aluminum tube is
looses around the tube on that end of the tube. I reattached the tube
and tested with soapy water (see bottom image at
http://www.abrasha.com/misc/heater_536.htm). Leak is still there, as
witnessed by soap bubbles. Obviously I need to replace the tube.

I now have trouble locating a replacement pilot tube. Does anyone know
where I might be able to get one around San Francisco?

Any leads appreciated.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com