Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC stuff in Europe, where?

Friend of mine wants to set up a part time shop doing custom axles etc.

He has the space, but needs a lathe and a CNC mill in "better than garage
shop" quality..

The only place I know of that sells used tools of this kind is one of those
guys who buys a load of stuff from bankrupcy auctions and his prices seem a
bit high compared to what you get, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any
good places to shop for lathes and mills?

Location: Denmark, but buying in Germany, Sweden or the UK is definately an
option, especially because of the sales tax system when dealing business to
business within the EU...

Any ideas?

/peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you talking about automobile type axles? He is going to need pretty
good heat treating facilities, also, I suspect.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Are you talking about automobile type axles? He is going to need pretty
good heat treating facilities, also, I suspect.

I think he wants to be able to do axles and other spare parts for
machinery.. He is already the kind of guy you'd call when you need that
oddly shaped part for a repair or a project - problem is that he cant
continue doing that at the shop he works ( Too many personal projects )..

Anyhoo... He is the guy with the metalworking training, so I guess he knows
what he needs.. I am just a hack / lurker :-)

/peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Everything in europe is more expensive than here- everything.
Used machine tools there often go for prices we would not believe over
here.

For lower end new tools, a good place to start might be Knuth-
They sell imports from Bulgaria, Poland, Turkey, and Asia- but the
german market is pretty picky, so most of them would never sell here-
for instance, who in the usa would buy a bulgarian knockoff of a deckel
mill, for $28,000?
Nope, we want those $600 mill drills.
http://www.knuth.de/frameset1024x768.htm

For finding higher quality used machines in europe, try this website-
http://www.maschinensucher.de/

Also, german EBAY is a good place to look.

Just be forewarned- there are no $1000 Bridgeport M heads in europe-
the average used mill seems to be north of 10 grand over there.
DMG, (Deckel merged with Maho) are kind of the gold standard.
Swiss made machines are pretty nice too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Everything in europe is more expensive than here- everything.
Used machine tools there often go for prices we would not believe over
here.

Imagine having to pay close to 15.000$ for a new korean POS minicar :-)
Atleast the wages here in Denmark are higher than the average american pay,
but the taxes are also considerably higher and so is a lot of stuff...

I just paid 5$ per gallon for diesel when I filled the tank on my van this
morning :-(

For lower end new tools, a good place to start might be Knuth-
They sell imports from Bulgaria, Poland, Turkey, and Asia- but the
german market is pretty picky, so most of them would never sell here-
for instance, who in the usa would buy a bulgarian knockoff of a deckel
mill, for $28,000?
Nope, we want those $600 mill drills.
http://www.knuth.de/frameset1024x768.htm

For finding higher quality used machines in europe, try this website-
http://www.maschinensucher.de/

Also, german EBAY is a good place to look.

Noted, thanks!

Just be forewarned- there are no $1000 Bridgeport M heads in europe-
the average used mill seems to be north of 10 grand over there.
DMG, (Deckel merged with Maho) are kind of the gold standard.
Swiss made machines are pretty nice too.

My friend is aware of this.. He has been looking at local brokers and it
looks like he will end up spending somewhere around 10K$ per item for
something decent in old but good condition.. This didnt seem to scare him,
but since the market is potentially bigger in Germany it is an interesting
option too..

/peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Q wrote:

My friend is aware of this.. He has been looking at local brokers and it
looks like he will end up spending somewhere around 10K$ per item for
something decent in old but good condition.

You know that a (unknown) part of the tool dealers in Germany are worse
than cow dealers. They will ripp you off where they can. If you buy,
look at the machine and have someone with you who knows that machine
well and knows where to look at.

An auction (NOT ebay) would be a better chance.

Look into www.quoka.de for the tools you want. If you are patient, you
might find something.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Nick Müller" skrev i en meddelelse
Q wrote:

My friend is aware of this.. He has been looking at local brokers and it
looks like he will end up spending somewhere around 10K$ per item for
something decent in old but good condition.

You know that a (unknown) part of the tool dealers in Germany are worse
than cow dealers. They will ripp you off where they can. If you buy,
look at the machine and have someone with you who knows that machine
well and knows where to look at.

He has been working in the trade for 10+ years, so I assume he will know
what to look for :-)..

An auction (NOT ebay) would be a better chance.

Look into www.quoka.de for the tools you want. If you are patient, you
might find something.

Will email the load of links gathered here to him and let him do the
searching himself - I am just the guy with the vehicle that can tow a
serious trailer :-).. I kinda doubt we can keep it within the limits of his
Skoda...

/peter