Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Cheap source for Casio G-shock watches?

My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:17:08 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for
about $80 US.

Lg

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

For some reason, people that don't wear watches have a much better internal
clock and can "feel" what time it is fairly accurately.

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:05:03 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

For some reason, people that don't wear watches have a much better internal
clock and can "feel" what time it is fairly accurately.

Ive heard that before, and am not sure its true. Ive always had the
ability to count off seconds nearly dead nuts, and when asked, without
looking, can generally give you the time, within a 5 minute window,
most notably during the day.

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

For some reason, people that don't wear watches have a much better internal
clock and can "feel" what time it is fairly accurately.

Oh..Ive also heard the old saying..big watch, little penis.

Its totally besides the point that I wear a Big Bend on one wrist...

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Back before I gave up on watches with plastic bands (too many of 'em broke right
off at the ears) I used to buy Casio watches at Sears. Best price I could find
anywhere when they went on sale there.

GWE

Gunner Asch wrote:
My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:55:02 -0600, wrote:

wrote:

My old daily friend..a Casio G-shock watch has finally bitten the dust
after at least 10 yrs of daily abuse. Regular submersion in solvents,
banging against machine tools, welding splatter, yada yada.

Im looking for a replacement. I dont need bells, whistles, altimeter,
depth, temp or any of the other Stuff. Just a plain jane, easy to
read, mineral crystal faced watch. Set and forget, put it on and never
take it off.

On Ebay..this time of the year, they tend to go a bit high. Im wanting
a source for either a good used one, or a cheap new one.

Anyone got any secret sources?

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for
about $80 US.

Lg

Same here. 'Bout $78 at China Mart.
Advantge, don't even have to set & forget. It'll set itself
hourly between 1 & 5 am every night.

Years ago, when I was in Europe, they had a watch called a Rado, or
something similar, that took a time signal from radio towers located
around Western Europe. But that signal wasn't available in the USA so
I couldn't buy one.

Now, I have as good as or better 8-)
I think in some ways [ get ready for this ]

WE'RE BEHIND THE TIMES!

( warned ya )

Lg

Rick Bowen
TSRA - Life Member
lex talionis.
Sleeple - One who just getting
to condition white is a day trip.

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lawrence Glickman

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:26:08 GMT, Bart Bailey wrote:

In posted on
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:21:45 -0600, Lawrence Glickman wrote:

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for
about $80 US.

These have come down in price since I got mine:
http://tinyurl.com/c9w44

That is exactly the same watch I bought at K-Mart. Great minds think
alike.

Lg

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Sat, 17 Dec
2005 22:16:15 GMT in misc.survivalism :
wrote:

For some reason, people that don't wear watches have a much better internal
clock and can "feel" what time it is fairly accurately.

Ive heard that before, and am not sure its true.

For some it is. OF course, if helps if the time clock has the same
feeling about time.

Ive always had the
ability to count off seconds nearly dead nuts, and when asked, without
looking, can generally give you the time, within a 5 minute window,
most notably during the day.

I could too, once upon a time. But when the view out the window at
starting time is not enough different than the view at quitting time,
either you are working too many hours straight, or you're working nights.
And it is kind of hard to get a star sighting through the reflection on the
window.

--
Pyotr Filipivich, sometimes Owl.
With a tight organization with a clear doctrine, coupled with
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

Costco when they have them.

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:58:45 -0600, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Nah, we're not behind the times.
The feral government just doesn't turn loose of it's toys as
quick as we'd like.

3' accuracy on GPS ring a bell?

Yah, I was crucified on the cross of Selective Availability for most
of the years it was turned on.

I think it was my threat to March on Washington D.C. that helped force
those buggers to turn it off ;-\

Lg

Rick Bowen
TSRA - Life Member
lex talionis.
Sleeple - One who just getting
to condition white is a day trip.

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:19:59 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

Costco when they have them.

I figured I better check through the thread to see if someone else
said that first. My knock-around watch is a G-Shock Illuminator from
Costco, but they seem to get in a batch about once a year.

You could have Customer Service search the system to see if they're
on order any time soon...

Nothing at Costco.com, unless you want to blow $14,000 on a Patek
Philippe. (Yeah, right, suuuure...)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Costco when they have them.

I figured I better check through the thread to see if someone else
said that first. My knock-around watch is a G-Shock Illuminator from
Costco, but they seem to get in a batch about once a year.

You could have Customer Service search the system to see if they're
on order any time soon...

Nothing at Costco.com, unless you want to blow $14,000 on a Patek
Philippe. (Yeah, right, suuuure...)

-- Bruce --

I have a modest collection of Seiko Automatics (self winders) and a
couple Boluva autos, and a couple Accutrons, but I hate like hell to
wear them day to day, in my line of work. Im currently wearing a Seiko
5, blue face, but Ive already scratched the crystal, just wearing it
for 3 days. Ive got some bids going on used G-shocks on Ebay, but they
are already creeping up higher than I want or can afford to pay. When
the G-shock went poop (cant change the time...buttons are frozen..time
change ... I put on one of the cheap Russian watches I have..and it
lasted 2 days before dying. The only thing so far that seems to work,
besides a G Shock, for my type of work..is a hunter case (crystal
cover) pocket watch. And I dont have a chain for any of them.

Dad was a watchmaker with his own store for 30 yrs, but when he
retired..wholesale pricing got lost..damnit. Along with repairs.

Ive got a marvelous old Seiko 'bullhorn" chrono, but the pivot that
the self winding counterweight swings on, blew out. Last person that
gave me a price to fix it was $275.

Its really hard to find a watch repair place anymore. Least, one you
can trust.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
everyman

Open the old one and see If it will work by pressing the tabs that are the
switches. Just remembered if I can find it I have a working G shock
mechanism that I destroyed the case on. It's yours if you want it. I can
throw it in the mail for free too. Let me know and I'll try to dig it out.
Karl

wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Burt Gummer

All the hostile ****ing posts about foreigners and the good ole boy
redneck's buy imported watches, Hardy har har har, its like those posters
about supporting american industry protests that show a mexican build
pickup, a toyota and a land rover, and the AMERICA supporting our troops and
they have H & K Mp5s

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:26:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bart
Bailey quickly quoth:

In posted on
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:21:45 -0600, Lawrence Glickman wrote:

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for
about $80 US.

These have come down in price since I got mine:
http://tinyurl.com/c9w44

Why in Buddha's name is everyone needing to be so damned precise in
keeping time? Lithium batteries already outlast the watches and watch
bands by several years. I can buy 3 conventional Casio watches for the
price of that one and they'll last it by 10 years. So what if they
lose a minute a year? Set it 2 minutes ahead and always be on time.

Methinks these watches are just a stupid fad; battery eaters with yet
another thing to break down, etc. Hey, maybe it's a battery mfgr's
conspiracy to sell beaucoup more batts...

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:44:43 +0000 (UTC), "Burt Gummer"
wrote:

All the hostile ****ing posts about foreigners and the good ole boy
redneck's buy imported watches, Hardy har har har, its like those posters
about supporting american industry protests that show a mexican build
pickup, a toyota and a land rover, and the AMERICA supporting our troops and
they have H & K Mp5s

Oddly enough..I drive a Mazda pickup, build in an American plant, in
New Jersey.

So Burp, you never shop at Walmart? You only buy stuff made in Canada?

Right.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:20:32 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

as a Survivalist..I dont mind losing a second here and there, but I do
require a watch that will last for a very long time under the most
rigourious conditions.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Northern Raider

Oddly enough..I drive a Mazda pickup, build in an American plant, in
New Jersey.

and the profit goes to tokyo

So Burp, you never shop at Walmart? You only buy stuff made in Canada?

Yes I do, but I dont spend my day complaining about immigrants and foreign
countries like you.

Right.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

as a Survivalist..I dont mind losing a second here and there, but I do
require a watch that will last for a very long time under the most
rigourious conditions.

Gunner

Rolex Submariner no batteries, runs fast to the tune of 5 minutes a
week, but the best damn watch ever made.....
DE

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:08:14 +0000 (UTC), "Northern Raider"
wrote:

Oddly enough..I drive a Mazda pickup, build in an American plant, in
New Jersey.

and the profit goes to tokyo

Actually..it goes to Ford Motor Company, who owns the factory.

So Burp, you never shop at Walmart? You only buy stuff made in Canada?

Yes I do, but I dont spend my day complaining about immigrants and foreign
countries like you.

Right.

Gunner

Got cites? If I wanted to **** and moan about ******* countries..I
only have to look to the north and discuss Canada. The country
everyone likes, because they stand for nothing, are deeply
ineffectual, and are really living in the shadow of the US. And with
good reason.

The only thing I can say you guys do really well, is turn out bumper
crops of bisexual women who will **** or suck anyone or anything,
based on some extensive experience with Canuck women.

Hi Virginia!!!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:40:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

as a Survivalist..I dont mind losing a second here and there, but I do
require a watch that will last for a very long time under the most
rigourious conditions.

I beat the hell out of the old Casio F91 watches ($7 on eBay)
for at least 5 years apiece. They're waterproof, so I shower,
swim, hammer, saw, play, and work with it on. What more could you
want?

It isn't, I'll wager, EMT proof. But most watches aren't, are they?

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I want a Viking Funeral,so...I'll miss the boat.

wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:13:54 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I never wear a watch except to church....what does it mean???

You'll be late to your own funeral? ;-)

Rick Bowen
TSRA - Life Member
lex talionis.
Sleeple - One who just getting
to condition white is a day trip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:43:34 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:40:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

as a Survivalist..I dont mind losing a second here and there, but I do
require a watch that will last for a very long time under the most
rigourious conditions.

I beat the hell out of the old Casio F91 watches ($7 on eBay)
for at least 5 years apiece. They're waterproof, so I shower,
swim, hammer, saw, play, and work with it on. What more could you
want?

It isn't, I'll wager, EMT proof. But most watches aren't, are they?

Ill look for them. The type is not one Im familiar with.

Thanks!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: "Tom Gardner" writes on Mon,
19 Dec 2005 02:10:41 GMT in misc.survivalism :
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:13:54 GMT, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

I never wear a watch except to church....what does it mean???

You'll be late to your own funeral? ;-)

I want a Viking Funeral,so...I'll miss the boat.

the really sad part about funerals is that'll you'll miss yours by only
a few days.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Worse than trying to cite Marcel Marceu is quoting the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:42:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

I beat the hell out of the old Casio F91 watches ($7 on eBay)
for at least 5 years apiece. They're waterproof, so I shower,
swim, hammer, saw, play, and work with it on. What more could you
want?

It isn't, I'll wager, EMT proof. But most watches aren't, are they?

Ill look for them. The type is not one Im familiar with.

They're the best little, least adorned digital watch on the market.
I don't need to read that it's shock-proof on the dial, thanks.
Who ARE they marketing to? sigh

I used to have a Casio with a countdown alarm which I used daily.
The few models they have with those now have 3" high marketing
messages on their faces and they're silver/red/blue on gray body.
My gods, man, who ARE they marketing to? I'd prefer something on
my wrist which doesn't glare at me all day long, blinding me from
the keyboard, KWIM,V? g

Right now I have a Casio (hold on a sec while I find my loupe, it's
hell getting old) F105 and I miss the countdown alarm. It was a
Christmas gift last year from Mom. $20 at Wally World.

I routinely bash my watch into (or scrape against) things I'm working
on (automotive, woodworking, whatever projects) and the Casios keep on
tickin'. The last Timex digital was retired in under a year. 3 plastic
and rubber parts fell off in that short time with the abuse I gave it.
So much for Sino-American technology.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:58:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

It isn't, I'll wager, EMT proof. But most watches aren't, are they?

Ill look for them. The type is not one Im familiar with.

They're the best little, least adorned digital watch on the market.
I don't need to read that it's shock-proof on the dial, thanks.
Who ARE they marketing to? sigh

Oddly enough..after looking them up..I realized that I had one of the
F91s for about 8 yrs.

There are currently 5 or so on ebay..with 4 of them being around $8,
with $15 shipping.

When one turns up for realistic shipping, Ill snag it. There is one,
but its 5 days to end of auction.

Thanks for the heads up! Much obliged

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:27:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

It isn't, I'll wager, EMT proof. But most watches aren't, are they?

Ill look for them. The type is not one Im familiar with.

They're the best little, least adorned digital watch on the market.
I don't need to read that it's shock-proof on the dial, thanks.
Who ARE they marketing to? sigh

Oddly enough..after looking them up..I realized that I had one of the
F91s for about 8 yrs.

How many of the resin bands have you had to puton it? Mine go in a
couple years after turning into concrete and cracking off. They're the
only downside to a Casio watch, but the nylon and canvas styles I've
used to replace them gather sweat and start smelling after a month or
two in the summer.

There are currently 5 or so on ebay..with 4 of them being around $8,
with $15 shipping.

When one turns up for realistic shipping, Ill snag it. There is one,
but its 5 days to end of auction.

eBay 5070199543 $2.95 + $8.95 s/h goes in 6 days. The $15 shipping
is on others from Singapore. Like the 2 Chinese silver 'n jade items
I picked up for $4 each and paid $24 to ship here from the mainland,
it's still worth it.

Yeah, the shipping on so many things ($0.01 price, $24.99 shipping
from the same city you reside in?) is just a bit wonky, wot? I'm
trying to switch over to www.OnlineAuction.com but the better,
lower-price vendors haven't found them (nor Yahoo auctions) yet.

Thanks for the heads up! Much obliged

Jewelcome.

Hey, still got that laser? I'd love it. How much do you want for it?

Santa was good to me this year. I wonder what a 1-way truck/trailer
rental would cost from your (ware)house to my shop... g

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:36:21 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:27:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:58:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

How many of the resin bands have you had to puton it? Mine go in a
couple years after turning into concrete and cracking off. They're the
only downside to a Casio watch, but the nylon and canvas styles I've
used to replace them gather sweat and start smelling after a month or
two in the summer.

snip

Just keep a spare and throw the band in the wash. I used to do that
all the time in Texas.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

[...]

On a number of my watches, particularly those Ive worn in the oil
fields over the years, Ive gotten marvelous usage out of a little
known secret band called the Don Juan

http://www.donjuanbands.com/prod02.htm
http://www.donjuanbands.com/prod01.htm

Abso****inglutely marvelous. And when you hang the band on something,
rather than taking you for a ride, or busting your wrist or
worse..they pop off. And they dont warp, chip, peel, crack, discolor
or smell like a locker room after wearing it for a year G

And they dont shift on your wrist, yet dont cut off circulation
either. Ive recommended this critter for construction workers and oil
field trash for over 30 yrs. I started wearing one in the erl patch
the day after I saw a guy hang his watch band on a set of elevators,
and get dragged 30 feet into the air, before the band broke, he fell
and busted both his legs, pelvis and his skull.

I once jumped out of a pickup truck, hanging my band on the headache
rack, and it simply popped off, where I could have done some serious
damage to myself. Other similar "saves" that I cant remember all of.

Somebody else asked about the laser, first come first server. Its not
a cutting power laser..and its about the size of a large older style
CCTV camera. The power supply is about 50 lbs

No idea of any of it works

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:36:21 -0800, Larry Jaques

I once jumped out of a pickup truck, hanging my band on the headache
rack, and it simply popped off, where I could have done some serious
damage to myself. Other similar "saves" that I cant remember all of.

I did that once with a wedding ring and a ladder.
Strangely it didn't pop off, and I hung there for a couple of *very*
unpleasant seconds.
Fortunately the divorce eased that pain.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:26:11 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

When
the G-shock went poop (cant change the time...buttons are frozen..time
change ...

That's the failure mechanism in those crummy Casio's: the
pooshbuttons. Gunk gets between the buttons and the case so the
little tabs inside no longer have enough spring force to un-push them.
That happens after only a decade or so of daily abuse. You can
field-strip it and clean it a couple of times, but it's fussy work --
and I think the little O-rings eventually get old and die. The old
watch still works but the buttons are beyond further restoration.

I replaced my old Casio (circa 198?) about two years ago for that very
reason -- that and because the glass crystal had become so pitted it
was almost opaque. I wore a Seiko for a while when I wore a suit to
work (ugh!) but it went on the dresser the minute I got home and
went for my Levi's, quilty flannel shirt and Casio watch.

I haven't worn a suit or a Seiko for a decade now, not even to
funerals. The folks whose funerals I attended wouldn't have
recognized me in a suit.

I replaced the old Casio with a $20 Casio from Target. It works OK,
but it has a plastic crystal that almost certainly won't resist weld
spatter and probably not solvents though it's proven to be
surprisingly resistant to abrasion and grinder sparks.

The G-Shock looks like what I was really looking for at the time.
I found them at
http://www.watchesgiant.com/cagg7wa.html
for $57.67 with "free" shipping. No atomic or any of that hoo-ya. I
ordered one. Thanks for mentioning it, Gunner!

BTW, I am now within hours of finishing my four-Luxeon microscope
ringlight. When it's making lumens and lighting up my life --or at
least my worksurface -- then I plan to get serious about the 3-watt
LED conversion for the MX991/U. I think I have an elex design that
will do the job. Driving a 3-watt Lux from 1.8 volts (end of life
for 2 alky cells) is a bit of a challenge but oy think oyve got it
now. We'll see. I know of no available flashlight that does that
well and I can't think of one offhand that does it at all. All of
the available 3-watt Lux lights I know of use a nominally 6-volt
system: 4 alkies or two lithiums. That does make some sense for
new designs, but the MX991\U is made to use two D cells and there
really is a lot of energy per buck in D cells that are available
anywhere, anytime. I expect the anticpated MagLED will not be a
3-watt in a 2-cell design. Further, I think the MX991\U is a
significantly superior flashlight design in a number of ways, other
than being a lousy illuminator as found. A 3 watt Luxeon, good elex
and a good reflector will make that a very different story indeed.

My son the silicon peddler has provided me with a half-thimblefull
(couple dozen) of samples of the chips I intend to use. I'll need to
get circuitboards made, but the little boards are about free once
the up-front tarriff (about $50) is covered, so I'll get several made
while I'm at it. I can and do etch clunk boards, but here we're
talking 8-mil trace double-sided surfacemount boards with plated-thru
holes. I think I have a source for really good reflectors at about
$5/pop, gotta check on that since Eric Snow said they're not returning
his calls.

Anyway, if you have or find a tits-condition MX-991U complete, we
could maybe work something out here with no money changing hands as
each pays any minor shipping costs between MN and SoCal.

No action now other than keep yer eyes peeled and glom good
flashlights as you see 'em if yer interested. All things in good
time, NIU. (Nothing Is Urgent!)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 10:37:48 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Pete
Keillor quickly quoth:

Just keep a spare and throw the band in the wash. I used to do that
all the time in Texas.

Perhaps my nose is more sensitive than yours, but mine gave off an
acrid odor quite quickly, requiring frequent and multiple Clorox
rinses. The nylon bands weren't worth the repetitive hassle to me.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:26:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bart
Bailey quickly quoth:

In posted on
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:21:45 -0600, Lawrence Glickman wrote:

I am wearing one right now. The Atomic G-Shock. Bought at K-Mart for
about $80 US.

These have come down in price since I got mine:
http://tinyurl.com/c9w44

Why in Buddha's name is everyone needing to be so damned precise in
keeping time? Lithium batteries already outlast the watches and watch
bands by several years. I can buy 3 conventional Casio watches for the
price of that one and they'll last it by 10 years. So what if they
lose a minute a year? Set it 2 minutes ahead and always be on time.

The cheap Casios keep time just fine; the problem is the plastic
"crystal" getting scratched up and pitted by hot sparks.

A GPS also has an "atomic" (cesium) clock, a few miles up. I just
check my watch against my GPS every few months. Last time I
checked, it was right on: it correctly said "Tuesday".....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:52:14 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:
snip
then I plan to get serious about the 3-watt
LED conversion for the MX991/U. I think I have an elex design that
will do the job. Driving a 3-watt Lux from 1.8 volts (end of life
for 2 alky cells) is a bit of a challenge but oy think oyve got it
now.

snip

Hi Don,

I was curious to see if this light was what I thought it
was, so I googled for some images. Came across the following
page, which you may find of interest:

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

So... It definitely looks like it should be a workable
design.

Wish you the best of luck with this.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 20:04:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

http://www.donjuanbands.com/prod01.htm

Abso****inglutely marvelous. And when you hang the band on something,
rather than taking you for a ride, or busting your wrist or
worse..they pop off. And they dont warp, chip, peel, crack, discolor
or smell like a locker room after wearing it for a year G

Sounds good, but they're kinda pricy, wot?

and get dragged 30 feet into the air, before the band broke, he fell
and busted both his legs, pelvis and his skull.

Um, ouch. I doubt a resin band would perform so valiantly for the
elevator. I'll bet the guy wished he had one on that day.

Somebody else asked about the laser, first come first server. Its not
a cutting power laser..and its about the size of a large older style
CCTV camera. The power supply is about 50 lbs

No idea of any of it works

OK, thanks.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:19:50 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 20:04:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

http://www.donjuanbands.com/prod01.htm

Abso****inglutely marvelous. And when you hang the band on something,
rather than taking you for a ride, or busting your wrist or
worse..they pop off. And they dont warp, chip, peel, crack, discolor
or smell like a locker room after wearing it for a year G

Sounds good, but they're kinda pricy, wot?

Given that stock bands for the Casios are about $9 each at the
discount stores...$22 for the best of the bunch isnt bad..and its good
for lifetime use on any number of watches. You toss the watch, not the
band, then stuck another watch in it.

and get dragged 30 feet into the air, before the band broke, he fell
and busted both his legs, pelvis and his skull.

Um, ouch. I doubt a resin band would perform so valiantly for the
elevator. I'll bet the guy wished he had one on that day.

Somebody else asked about the laser, first come first server. Its not
a cutting power laser..and its about the size of a large older style
CCTV camera. The power supply is about 50 lbs

No idea of any of it works

OK, thanks.

Gunner

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 13:30:48 -0500, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:52:14 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:
snip
then I plan to get serious about the 3-watt
LED conversion for the MX991/U. I think I have an elex design that
will do the job. Driving a 3-watt Lux from 1.8 volts (end of life
for 2 alky cells) is a bit of a challenge but oy think oyve got it
now.

snip

Hi Don,

I was curious to see if this light was what I thought it
was, so I googled for some images. Came across the following
page, which you may find of interest:

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

So... It definitely looks like it should be a workable
design.

Wish you the best of luck with this.

Thanks! I didn't know about that offering. Not a bad price, either.
I wonder if it produces constant brightness throughout battery life,
and if it sucks the batteries clear dry. My guess is that he uses
something like the Zetex chip, which does a pretty good job of using
up the battery but dwindles to about half output as batteries age.
That's consistent with the 8 hours per battery set that he claims.

I plan to use a larger reflector -- 35 mm rather than 27 mm.
There's room for it in the MX991\U. The reflector is more important
than the power in terms of spot brightness and tightness.

These are nitpicks, of course. It looks like Electrolumens makes some
pretty good LED lights.

Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
New Source for a "NICE" and cheap DROs John Flanagan Metalworking 12 February 21st 04 02:25 AM
(Found while surfing) Interesting, cheap source of parts, schematics, repair docs... ~^Johnny^~ Electronics Repair 8 December 18th 03 02:03 PM
WTD: Source of cheap NiMH batteries Jason Arthurs UK diy 6 September 1st 03 03:50 PM
Cheap source for Electrical skirting trunking? Alex H UK diy 2 August 8th 03 08:52 AM