Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Default Is this a good deal

My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ? And any experience with this particulat model.

Dad is possibly going to sel a realll clean southbend 10k with all kinds
of accessories and buy this one. if interested in it let me know too.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/tls/118289825.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ? And any experience with this particulat model.

Price differs so much by area, so qualify any commnets by that. In this
area, that would be on the high end of value. I'd look at it first. A
totally cherry machine, inside, is allways a good buy. The price is soon
forgot, the quality lingers. If your dad has run a lathe he knows not to be
fooled by a nice paint job.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic

"Mike" wrote in message
et...
My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ? And any experience with this particulat model.

Dad is possibly going to sel a realll clean southbend 10k with all kinds
of accessories and buy this one. if interested in it let me know too.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/tls/118289825.html

Kinda pricey, i have the same lathe and only paid $900.00 for mine
and it came with more tooling. I think i saw the same machine on ebay a few
weeks
back, sounds like the guy has a dead line to move it, call him and offer
$1000 for
the lathe. $2500 is very high for a 40 year old machine, you can buy a new
import
equalivant for $1800.00 from harbor frieght.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Mike says...

My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ?

Logans are good. I like this machine too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUTH-BEND-HEAVEY-10-inch-LATHE-EXCELLENT-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ7570379898QQcategoryZ97230QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

I notice it has the bracket for a taper attachment, but no mention of
the attachment.

That is a very high price for that machine in almost any part of the
country. Logans are great machines, and that one looks cherry. But for
that money it should be like new with all conceivable tooling -
including the rest of that taper attachment.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Mike wrote:
My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ? And any experience with this particulat model.

Dad is possibly going to sel a realll clean southbend 10k with all kinds
of accessories and buy this one. if interested in it let me know too.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/tls/118289825.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

The imported machines don't appear to be "equivalent" at all in
quality, even if they have a lot of features. If you want a
toolroom quality lathe, you're better off with a well cared for
40 year old US machine.

azotic wrote:

Kinda pricey, i have the same lathe and only paid $900.00 for mine
and it came with more tooling. I think i saw the same machine on ebay a few
weeks
back, sounds like the guy has a dead line to move it, call him and offer
$1000 for
the lathe. $2500 is very high for a 40 year old machine, you can buy a new
import
equalivant for $1800.00 from harbor frieght.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Mike Berger wrote:
The imported machines don't appear to be "equivalent" at all in
quality, even if they have a lot of features. If you want a
toolroom quality lathe, you're better off with a well cared for
40 year old US machine.

Here we go again!

Rex B, who has one of each

azotic wrote:

Kinda pricey, i have the same lathe and only paid $900.00 for mine
and it came with more tooling. I think i saw the same machine on ebay
a few weeks
back, sounds like the guy has a dead line to move it, call him and
offer $1000 for
the lathe. $2500 is very high for a 40 year old machine, you can buy a
new import
equalivant for $1800.00 from harbor frieght.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:40:29 GMT, Mike wrote:

My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ? And any experience with this particulat model.

Dad is possibly going to sel a realll clean southbend 10k with all kinds
of accessories and buy this one. if interested in it let me know too.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/tls/118289825.html

Why not buy Leighs Heavy 10 for a hell of a lot less?

Located in Costa Mesa, Newport Beach. Day trip.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Mike says...

My dad is thinking abut buying this lathe. Does this seem like a decent
price ?

Logans are good. I like this machine too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUTH-BEND-HEAVEY-10-inch-LATHE-EXCELLENT-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ7570379898QQcategoryZ97230QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jim

I didn't realize Sobel had an ebay store. He needs better pictures and more
of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , ATP* says...

Logans are good. I like this machine too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUTH-BEND-HEAVEY-10-inch-LATHE-EXCELLENT-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ7570379898QQcategoryZ97230QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't realize Sobel had an ebay store. He needs better pictures and more
of them.

He's had that UID for year actually, he just never sold much that
way, being a technophobe. His son Peter always helped him out.

Jim

please reply to: