Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sophia Stavropoulou

Default Any crochet patterns to share ?

If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com
and share your patterns, tips or ideas with
other crochetmaniacs .

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040721162716P3c6EeZ4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Dacon

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com
and share your patterns, tips or ideas with
other crochetmaniacs .

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040721162716P3c6EeZ4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

LOL Actually I may have to retract my comment as crochet needles are
sometimes made of metal are they not?

Laurie Forbes

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com
and share your patterns, tips or ideas with
other crochetmaniacs .

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040721162716P3c6EeZ4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article 1yhof.198$wg4.192@edtnps84,
"Laurie Forbes" wrote:

Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

Oh, I don't know. I can do some fairly neat things with a forge, hammer,
and anvil; braiding, pattern welding, etc, and a friend of mine made
metal "textiles" in one of his jewelry courses.

Might be hard to hold the crochet hook doing it with hot steel though.

Let's see: Two single crochet, one double, another two single....OUCH!

Knitting maybe? There are machines that do that. Sorta.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

Try it with 28 ga. copper wire. You have to keep annealing it with a torch,
and oiling it.

You think I'm joking, don't you? Try doing a lanyard braid while you're at
it. Heh, heh...

--
Ed Huntress

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com
and share your patterns, tips or ideas with
other crochetmaniacs .

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040721162716P3c6EeZ4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

If you want to see some gorgeous metal crochet work, check out this
artist's page:

http://www.michaeldavidsturlin.com/

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Laurie Forbes wrote:

LOL Actually I may have to retract my comment as crochet needles are
sometimes made of metal are they not?

Laurie Forbes

You don't crochet with "needles" a crochet hook is used.
Needles are used to Knit with. :-)
...lew... Who did a little of both as a kid about 65 yrs ago
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
nk.net...
Laurie Forbes wrote:

LOL Actually I may have to retract my comment as crochet needles are
sometimes made of metal are they not?

Laurie Forbes

You don't crochet with "needles" a crochet hook is used.
Needles are used to Knit with. :-)

Hey, I knew that

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Ok so now this is the crochet .metalworking group.
If you can get a bridgeport to crochet then I will be severely impressed
Speaking of which
Has anybody see that special on PBS called Animusic? Seriously cool
animation set to kinda soft rock music. Freakin impressive

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Laurie Forbes wrote:

LOL Actually I may have to retract my comment as crochet needles are
sometimes made of metal are they not?

Laurie Forbes

You don't crochet with "needles" a crochet hook is used.
Needles are used to Knit with. :-)
...lew... Who did a little of both as a kid about 65 yrs ago

Yep - the crochet hook can be deadly - years ago, as a young hippy, was
visiting friends - the lady of the house sat on one, (the barbed end of
course) - it was interesting getting it out of her arse, to say the
least. Still remember the pattern on her underwear........very nice....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:20:52 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Dacon" quickly quoth:

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit

Tom, we'll have to take your word for it, you top-posting, crocheting,
provocateur.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Or clean up the end of a 2" cable that was cut and needs an eye.
Sewing and Knot class would have been nice to have in High School.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

Now, this group is (sadly) prone to off topics but this takes the cake

Laurie Forbes

Try it with 28 ga. copper wire. You have to keep annealing it with a torch,
and oiling it.

You think I'm joking, don't you? Try doing a lanyard braid while you're at
it. Heh, heh...

--
Ed Huntress

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message

If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com
and share your patterns, tips or ideas with
other crochetmaniacs .

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040721162716P3c6EeZ4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Larry Jaques wrote:

Vidi, Vici, Veni

Did your Ceasar come from the back?

Veni, vidi, vici. - I came, I saw, I had a victory

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

You're thinking of "Quilting" -

For those who don't know what Tom was referring to, it's when people
break a CD into small easily downloadable chunks. The downloader then
reassembles the chunks into a complete CD - quilts them together.
e.g. Machinery's Handbook was mentioned here at one point in the last
year as being available free in quilted form.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Patterson

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:17:19 -0500, RWL GeoLane_NOSPAM_
@evenlink.com wrote:

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

You're thinking of "Quilting" -

For those who don't know what Tom was referring to, it's when people
break a CD into small easily downloadable chunks. The downloader then
reassembles the chunks into a complete CD - quilts them together.
e.g. Machinery's Handbook was mentioned here at one point in the last
year as being available free in quilted form.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Hmmm, I thought he was referring to the practice of sharing
copyrighted patterns, which actually does happen a lot.

Hadn't heard of breaking up & reassembling CDs as "quilting". You
learn something new every day!

Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Did you mean "crochet patterns" or "crochety patrons?'

There are certainly a large number of the latter here......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Dacon

As Mike says, I was referring to the widespread practice of sharing
copyrighted crochet patterns. These little old ladies would almost make
video and music pirates look like good citizens in comparison, so I've read.
And they get away with it, with impunity. After all, who's going to
prosecute someone's granny for posting copyrighted material on the web site
that she had her grandson build for her, and sharing it with any other
little old grannies who want to download it?

I tell ya, it's a war zone out there ;-)

Tom Dacon

"RWL" GeoLane_NOSPAM_ @evenlink.com wrote in message

"Sophia Stavropoulou" wrote in message
If you are a crochet-lover like we are, visit
www.crochetmania.com

Stay away from these people - crotchet sharing is an absolute cesspool of
intellectual property piracy.

Tom

You're thinking of "Quilting" -

For those who don't know what Tom was referring to, it's when people
break a CD into small easily downloadable chunks. The downloader then
reassembles the chunks into a complete CD - quilts them together.
e.g. Machinery's Handbook was mentioned here at one point in the last
year as being available free in quilted form.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Larry Jaques wrote:

Did your Ceasar come from the back?

Veni, vidi, vici. - I came, I saw, I had a victory

It's sexual humor, Nick. "I saw, I conquered, I came."

So my question about cesar wasn't that wrong (unintended, I have to
admit). :-))

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:50:23 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Nick Müller) quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Vidi, Vici, Veni

Did your Ceasar come from the back?

Veni, vidi, vici. - I came, I saw, I had a victory

It's sexual humor, Nick. "I saw, I conquered, I came."
Think about it for awhile. I'm sure it'll cum to you.

On this subject, I wanted some data on silver steel tonight. I searched
for "silver steel" and this is what came up:

http://www.silverandsteel.co.uk/ss0.htm

Which one of you guys is responsible? :-D

By the way, I was wanting to know (very roughly) how much harder silver
steel is compared to mild steel. I can get a good variety of round
silver steel in small quantities, but have had a little difficulty
threading it with a die. Maybe this is just to be expected?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Christopher Tidy wrote:

By the way, I was wanting to know (very roughly) how much harder silver
steel is compared to mild steel. I can get a good variety of round
silver steel in small quantities, but have had a little difficulty
threading it with a die.

Yes, it is harder. Silver steel is called "drill rod" in the US, so you
might get more hits googling.

silver steel here in Germany is 1.2210, the US drill rod is a bit better
quality. Yours (British) is quite the same as ours.
1.2210 is 115CrV3 Have no data about strength.
MS (CRS) would be 1.0037 AKA S235JR or something in that ballpark. It
has a upper yield stress of 235 N/mm^2 or a tensile strength of about
360 N/mm^2

Maybe this is just to be expected?

Yes. Use cutting oil (as always), that helps.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:05:10 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
It's sexual humor, Nick. "I saw, I conquered, I came."
Think about it for awhile. I'm sure it'll cum to you.

On this subject, I wanted some data on silver steel tonight. I searched
for "silver steel" and this is what came up:

http://www.silverandsteel.co.uk/ss0.htm

Which one of you guys is responsible? :-D

Ouch! Not I!

By the way, I was wanting to know (very roughly) how much harder silver
steel is compared to mild steel. I can get a good variety of round
silver steel in small quantities, but have had a little difficulty
threading it with a die. Maybe this is just to be expected?

Nevahoiduvit. It's a Brit thing, wot?
Googling "silver steel", I find:

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EML1.html?id=p3P3iH8V
http://www.westyorkssteel.com/Produc...eel/silver.htm

1% carbon? Yeah, though I'm no expert on metals, it sounds like it
might be tough to thread.

--
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Larry Jaques :
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:05:10 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

By the way, I was wanting to know (very roughly) how much harder silver
steel is compared to mild steel. I can get a good variety of round
silver steel in small quantities, but have had a little difficulty
threading it with a die. Maybe this is just to be expected?

Nevahoiduvit. It's a Brit thing, wot?

Yep! It is their name for what we call "drill rod".

Googling "silver steel", I find:

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/EML1.html?id=p3P3iH8V
http://www.westyorkssteel.com/Produc...eel/silver.htm

1% carbon? Yeah, though I'm no expert on metals, it sounds like it
might be tough to thread.

Just as drill rod is.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564