Russell Shigeoka

Default Bridgeport help with pics and q's

Hi, I'm new to the group. I am venturing over from the rec.ww and owwm. I
recently got a Bridgeport knee mill at auction. It has a round ram and short
table and I have no clue what type of head it has on it.

I am very comfortable restoring woodworking machinery and I own a 9" southbend.
However, I am unfamiliar with Bridgeport's. Would you mine helping me out
with the following pics and q's?

To unload it I took apart the motor from the head, the head from the ram, and
the ram from the turret.

Here is a pic of the head without motor:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0661.JPG

Here is another pic of the head highlighting a small nub of broken casting.
What was this piece?:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0662.JPG

I know it's probably unanswerable just from a pic, but what type of collet or
taper would this head have?:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0665.JPG

Here is a pic of the motor assembly. The motor is positioned directly above
the spindle assembly. Of the pics I have seen on the web, I have never seen a
Bridgeport with this type of configuration:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0663.JPG

Here is a close up shot of the motor nameplate:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0664.JPG

Finally, here is a pic of the ram. The rear of the ram seemed to be able to
accomodate mounting something else. What went or goes on here?

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/shigeoka/manip_DCP_0668.JPG

I do not see "Bridgeport" anywhere on the head. Is this a Bridgeport head at
all? If yes, what model. If no, what type of head is it?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Aloha, Russell

Jon Elson

Russell Shigeoka wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the group. I am venturing over from the rec.ww and owwm. I
recently got a Bridgeport knee mill at auction. It has a round ram and short
table and I have no clue what type of head it has on it.

If it has 6 grooves in the pulleys, it is the M head.

Some of it looks sort of like the M, but yours seems like it has
just 4 grooves, and then a 2nd level of belts, which looks like it
will give a VERY slow range of speeds. Or, is the 2nd level of
belts for the power feed, on that pulley in front?
It isn't a "C" head, or an M head. Does the Jacobs chuck come
off, or is it permanent? Is the spindle hollow with a drawbar,
or solid?

I hate to tell you this is probably not a milling head, but one made
for drilling, I think.

Jon

Dick Streff

Howdy, Aloha Russell. What you have there is (most of) a step pulley
head from a Tree milling machine. I can only guess how it found its way
onto your Bridgeport. Somebody probably jettisoned a little Bridgeport
M-head off the round ram in favor of the heavier Tree.

I believe that head would take the seldom seen Z collets. The good news
is the head has a nifty quick change system. The bad news is the collets
are sort of oddball and somewhat spendy from the manufacturer. I was
doing some research on just this dilemma the other night and found
another source mentioned for the collets for a much more reasonable
price. Try:

http://www.toolingsystems.com/univ/

I don't see them listed on the webpages, but you could try calling.

Lastly, the other end of the ram is for holding another head. Could be a
shaper head, an M-head, or another of the many styles Bridgeport produced.

Dick

Russell Shigeoka wrote:

[...]

Marty Escarcega

Does not look like a Bridgeport Head. Tree perhaps?
Tree had odd ball collets. If you didn't get any collets, I would watch
for a used Step pulley J Head for your machine. I know you live in
Hawaii, the Government Liquidations seem to crop up a lot there. Might be
pricey buying a used head from the main land.

The tang on the back is for other heads/attachments. Like a shaping
attachment, cherrying attachment.

Marty
[posted and mailed]

(Russell Shigeoka) wrote in