Jon Elson

Default Bridgeport help with pics and q's

Russell Shigeoka wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the group. I am venturing over from the rec.ww and owwm. I
recently got a Bridgeport knee mill at auction. It has a round ram and short
table and I have no clue what type of head it has on it.

If it has 6 grooves in the pulleys, it is the M head.

Some of it looks sort of like the M, but yours seems like it has
just 4 grooves, and then a 2nd level of belts, which looks like it
will give a VERY slow range of speeds. Or, is the 2nd level of
belts for the power feed, on that pulley in front?
It isn't a "C" head, or an M head. Does the Jacobs chuck come
off, or is it permanent? Is the spindle hollow with a drawbar,
or solid?

I hate to tell you this is probably not a milling head, but one made
for drilling, I think.

Jon