Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hollander beater plans?

Hello,

Hope someone here can help. My girlfriend has mentioned she wants a
hollander beater for her papermaking. After checking out the prices
they seem very expensive. I've got a well equiped machine shop and
have made several machine tools in the past so would like to give this
a try. However after searching the web I can't seem to find much
information on how these units work.

If anyone could point me to a website or some books that would have
information on these I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Al

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

http://www.twinrocker.com/ might prove helpful. Howard Clark at Twinrocker
used to manufacture a fiberglass tub beater. Bertram are the big
manufacturers of mill-sized beaters, (don't know if they are still in
business, actually), you might search for them. There is a trick to the plan
view of the Bertram that is really great, and not much copied, and helps
with the circulation and mixing of the pulp. If you can find a plan view of
the Bertam, it is worth emulating. The little lab beaters that the
hand-papermakers want are called "Valley Beaters". The Clarks used to sell a
book buy James Clark (no relation to Kathryn and Howard) that was oriented
around paper technology for the paper mill lab. It has a lot of great
illustrations. I don't see the book on their web page, so it may have gone
out of print.

If I were doing it, I'd think in terms of a concrete tub. The wooden staves
between the beater bars are apparently important, to help dampen the
shock/vibration on the bearings and superstructure.

If you build one, post pictures, I'd be curious.

Regads,

Adam Smith
Midland, ON

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Hope someone here can help. My girlfriend has mentioned she wants a
hollander beater for her papermaking. After checking out the prices
they seem very expensive. I've got a well equiped machine shop and
have made several machine tools in the past so would like to give this
a try. However after searching the web I can't seem to find much
information on how these units work.

If anyone could point me to a website or some books that would have
information on these I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Al

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

Found a book by James D'A Clark called Pulp Technology and Treatment for
Paper on Bookfinder. Cose is $89. Is that the book?

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

That is the one. Great book if you are really interested in pulp science.

It is mostly oriented around paper mill lab testing and mill control, but
there is great information for the hand paper maker that is willing to spend
the effort. And I'm pretty sure that there are drawings of the Bertram that
give you a good sense of the plan. If it is a make-or-break on your buy
decision, I can check my copy tonight. If there is anything specific you are
hoping to learn, ditto, just ask.

Regards,

Adam

"Bob May" wrote in message
. ..
Found a book by James D'A Clark called Pulp Technology and Treatment for
Paper on Bookfinder. Cose is $89. Is that the book?

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Unbelievable! There is an online group for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!!

Thanks for posting this, I just joined.

Adam Smith
Midland, ON Canada

"Peter" wrote in message
u...
snip
Try this newsgroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hollander_Beaters/

The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 08:17 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 05 08:30 AM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM