jim

Default Auto spray painting???, welding

i am in my 50's and did alot of stuff around the house, fixing plumbing,
electric, carpentry, mechanic work on cars, electronic repair stuff,
brazing, soldering, using a lathe and milling machine, making or
revising alot of tools that i use on the cars over the years and am
pretty good with my hands at fixting stuff.. i have never been able to
weld satisfactory(i never had anyone to guide me) i would like to learn
to weld and spraypaint autos, but dont want to spend two years in a tech
school with all the kids, it would kill me.. i remember doing some
research on geneology a few years back and was sitting in the library
looking at the micro film and nothing but college age kids(it was the
college library) guys trying to pick up the girls with all their silly
pickup lines- i wonder if i sounded just as stupid way back when???....
any suggestions.. i can buy all the stuff, like the spray gun,
compressor(already got a small one, 1-hp sears, i know its not big
enough).... and a cheap welder, possible electric,, i bought one from
sears about 15 yrs. ago it was suppose to be a $99. seller back then and
they cut it down to $50.. could enver do much with it other than using
the carbon arc torch to braze with the machine was not adjustable, just
one setting.... still got it, i pieces in the garage... never used it in
about 12 yrs......
any help guiding me in the direction to lean this would be
appreciated......
Errol Groff

Heck. I am 55 and have been in tech schools for 17 years with the
@$#&^*(%! kids and it hasn't killed me. Yet.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

i would like to learn
to weld and spraypaint autos, but dont want to spend two years in a tech
school with all the kids, it would kill me..

Roy J

Errol Groff wrote:

Heck. I am 55 and have been in tech schools for 17 years with the
@$#&^*(%! kids and it hasn't killed me. Yet.

Only because you are old enough to yell at them when they do
something stupid!! LOL!

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

i would like to learn

to weld and spraypaint autos, but dont want to spend two years in a tech
school with all the kids, it would kill me..

Mark

Errol Groff wrote:
Heck. I am 55 and have been in tech schools for 17 years with the
@$#&^*(%! kids and it hasn't killed me. Yet.

It's keeping from killing them that's so hard.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

jim

:
Heck. I am 55 and have been in tech schools for 17 years with the
@$#&^*(%! kids and it hasn't killed me. Yet.

It's keeping from killing them that's so hard.

yes I know the feeling....

Anthony

jim wrote in :

[...]

Probably the easiest thing to learn to weld with is a MIG welder. You can
pick up a good Miller 110V at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) for about $4-
700. Then a little trip to AirGas or the like for a bottle of argon/CO2.
A trip to the welding supply shop for a welding jacket and a *GOOD* hood
(DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE WELDING HOOD!) will finish you out.
Your first project can be a welding cart to put it and the bottle on.
The Miller I bought a couple of years ago had a training video included,
along with a pretty good manual.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Jesse L Zufall

Pick up a copy of "20 Tips to Better Welding" from September 2003, 4-Wheel &
Off-Road magazine by Fred Williams. I also would recommend Basic Bodywork
and Painting, Petersens 1971 , 1972.
http://www.billschley.com/database/d.../softcover.htm

Mig Welder?---Mine is a Lincoln PowerMig 255 w/timer. I hope to get a
PowerMig 300 set up for aluminum soon.
JLZ
Silt, Co
http://zufalls.com
Nothin like a Champaign appetite on a Beer budget.

"Anthony" wrote in message
. ..
jim wrote in :

[...]

Don Foreman

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:43:21 GMT, jim wrote:

i would like to learn
to weld and spraypaint autos,

I did some of that for a while, welding in new panels and painting
them to stay ahead of rust. I'm completely self-taught. Ya learn
by reading, then doing, then reading, then doing better, and so on.

For welding I recommend the Lincoln SP-125 110-volt MIG. It's
advantage is that the heat is continuously adjustable, not just in 4
steps. That made a big difference with autobody work.

Strongly recommend investing in an autodarkening helmet.

For painting, first get the book someone else recommended here, but
also go to an auto paint store, collect all the mfrs literature you
can and talk to the guys there. Auto paints work as a "system" so
you need to learn how the system works -- which primer, which base
coat, which reducers, how should the paint be reduced, etc etc.
PPG/Ditzler provides (or used to anyway) very good instructions.

Pick a "system", learn it and follow the directions. Lacquer is
cheapest, least durable and usually needs to be rubbed out. Enamel
is next. Most modern cars use a base-clear system. It's the best, in
some ways easiest to use, also the most expensive. You MUST wear a
good resiprator when spraypainting, particularly with base-clear.

HVLP is the preferred gun now. I don't know anything about that. I
used two guns, a cheap import for primers and a good Sharpe for color
and clear. Primer is hard on a gun and it doesn't matter if you get a
booboo because you're gonna wetsand it anyway.

Have a look at
http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/BYBS/

Good luck!

jim

Jesse L Zufall wrote:

Pick up a copy of "20 Tips to Better Welding" from September 2003, 4-Wheel &
Off-Road magazine by Fred Williams. I also would recommend Basic Bodywork
and Painting, Petersens 1971 , 1972.
http://www.billschley.com/database/d.../softcover.htm

Mig Welder?---Mine is a Lincoln PowerMig 255 w/timer. I hope to get a
PowerMig 300 set up for aluminum soon.
JLZ
Silt, Co
http://zufalls.com
Nothin like a Champaign appetite on a Beer budget.

"Anthony" wrote in message
. ..
jim wrote in :

[...]

thanks, i used to buy the petersen books back in the 70's and they
either falling apart or th pages are rotted away.... i would like to
find what they print up now.... i think i bought them all back in
1971???
i cant find petersen at all, are they still in business????
thanks for the info...
Jesse L Zufall

Jim.
Willis Stein acquired Petersen Publishing for $465 million in 1996 and I
believe it was acquired by another outfit after that. I think the good old
days are gone. The only way I found to obtain Basic Bodywork & Painting is
through the link I provided below. I'm sure that there are better books
available that pertain to bodywork, but it just so happens that this is the
one that I have and it has served me will.

Reference material pertaining to welding can be located here
https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/linc...tore.asp?cat=7
from Lincoln Electric. Miller has some free reference material.
http://www.millerwelds.com/education...pamphlets.html You may also want
to look here http://www.millerwelds.com/education...dex.html#books

I have worked in a welding shop for two years and still do not know all
there is to know about welding. Granted, most of my time is spent on
generating CAD shop drawings but I am getting the hang of laying down a
bead...it just takes practice.

Hope this helps....if I can be of any further assistance contact me via the
email address on my web site.

Jesse Zufall
Silt Co
http://zufalls.com

jim wrote in :

[...]

jim

jim wrote in :

[...]

thanks, i really liked the petersen books very good explanations on
basic auto repair stuff that kinda stuck with me.... and all for about
$3.95 each.... in the 70's....