Don Foreman

Default Auto spray painting???, welding

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:43:21 GMT, jim wrote:

i would like to learn
to weld and spraypaint autos,

I did some of that for a while, welding in new panels and painting
them to stay ahead of rust. I'm completely self-taught. Ya learn
by reading, then doing, then reading, then doing better, and so on.

For welding I recommend the Lincoln SP-125 110-volt MIG. It's
advantage is that the heat is continuously adjustable, not just in 4
steps. That made a big difference with autobody work.

Strongly recommend investing in an autodarkening helmet.

For painting, first get the book someone else recommended here, but
also go to an auto paint store, collect all the mfrs literature you
can and talk to the guys there. Auto paints work as a "system" so
you need to learn how the system works -- which primer, which base
coat, which reducers, how should the paint be reduced, etc etc.
PPG/Ditzler provides (or used to anyway) very good instructions.

Pick a "system", learn it and follow the directions. Lacquer is
cheapest, least durable and usually needs to be rubbed out. Enamel
is next. Most modern cars use a base-clear system. It's the best, in
some ways easiest to use, also the most expensive. You MUST wear a
good resiprator when spraypainting, particularly with base-clear.

HVLP is the preferred gun now. I don't know anything about that. I
used two guns, a cheap import for primers and a good Sharpe for color
and clear. Primer is hard on a gun and it doesn't matter if you get a
booboo because you're gonna wetsand it anyway.

Have a look at
http://www.goldengate.net/~dforeman/BYBS/

Good luck!