Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JohnF

Default need info, tough reversable 3 phase switch

I am using a Dayton "drum" switch on a 3 phase application that is
constantly being reversed. It's a 1hp motor connected to a rotary
table through a reduction box on a semi-auto polishing machine.
Anyway, the drum switchs are coming loose inside every so often and
contact is lost on 1 leg of the 3phase when the operator lets go of
the handle. The noise in the area is too great for anyone to hear the
buzzing of the motor running on 2 legs. 2 legs is fine for most of
what they do (it's like running with a cheepie 3 phase converter) but
takes it's toll over a period of time. There are 2 machines, one has
the smaller Dayton drum switch and the other has the same type switch
but a much larger Square D, I think, but they both have the same
basic problem.

Any suggestions for a tougher switch of some kind for HEAVY duty use?

JohnF
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

JohnF wrote:

I am using a Dayton "drum" switch on a 3 phase application that is
constantly being reversed. It's a 1hp motor connected to a rotary
table through a reduction box on a semi-auto polishing machine.
Anyway, the drum switchs are coming loose inside every so often and
contact is lost on 1 leg of the 3phase when the operator lets go of
the handle. The noise in the area is too great for anyone to hear the
buzzing of the motor running on 2 legs. 2 legs is fine for most of
what they do (it's like running with a cheepie 3 phase converter) but
takes it's toll over a period of time. There are 2 machines, one has
the smaller Dayton drum switch and the other has the same type switch
but a much larger Square D, I think, but they both have the same
basic problem.

Any suggestions for a tougher switch of some kind for HEAVY duty use?

Plug reversing is real damn hard on switch contacts. A whole bunch of current
flows for just a short time. There is a lot of arcing and contact damage. You
may be able to just buy a drum switch which is rated for a lot more current. I
don't get how a zero crossing switch can work for 3 phase since the 3 phases are
never zero at the same time, though.

If you use a reversing motor starter, you can order those as heavily built as
you need to. Hope you have a big budget, those suckers add up quick.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"JohnF" wrote in message
| I am using a Dayton "drum" switch on a 3 phase application that is
| constantly being reversed. It's a 1hp motor connected to a rotary
| table through a reduction box on a semi-auto polishing machine.
| Anyway, the drum switchs are coming loose inside every so often and
| contact is lost on 1 leg of the 3phase when the operator lets go of
| the handle. The noise in the area is too great for anyone to hear the
| buzzing of the motor running on 2 legs. 2 legs is fine for most of
| what they do (it's like running with a cheepie 3 phase converter) but
| takes it's toll over a period of time. There are 2 machines, one has
| the smaller Dayton drum switch and the other has the same type switch
| but a much larger Square D, I think, but they both have the same
| basic problem.
|
| Any suggestions for a tougher switch of some kind for HEAVY duty use?
|
| JohnF

Reversing motor starter. Type that in for a search on ebay and you'll
find plenty to be had, for far less than the new price. Once you get it,
we'll tell you how to wire it up. Use of the overload is entirely up to
you, because the overload heaters are selected by the application and hp of
the motor. A manual reversing motor starter would be a good choice, too.
You could go with a heavier duty drum switch, too, which will last a whole
lot longer than one that's just big enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

JohnF wrote:

[...]

the switch on my bridgeport works fine even though I do a lot of
tapping with it. I would look into what model switch bridgeport uses on
their series 1 mills.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

[...]