Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Default Bent spindle

Well I got my verticle head on the Hardinge mill last Friday. UPS had
dropped the crate and bent the spindle. The crate looked fine on the outside
but the supporting parts inside were broken. The head looked fine when I
unboxed it so I installed it, trammed, wired it and flipped te switch. As I
pulled down the quill feed I could feel a pulsing in the handle. I looked up
at the top of the spindle and lo and behold, it was wobbling. It runs out
about .020" Anybody ever tried to straighten a spindle on a Bridgeport M
head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM. I'm afraid the bearings
wont last too long in the spindle pulley and maybe in the quill.$$$$$!!! If
straightening isn't an option, does anyone know where to find a new spindle,
B&S 7 taper?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

Tom Wait wrote:
Well I got my verticle head on the Hardinge mill last Friday. UPS had
dropped the crate and bent the spindle. The crate looked fine on the outside
but the supporting parts inside were broken. The head looked fine when I
unboxed it so I installed it, trammed, wired it and flipped te switch. As I
pulled down the quill feed I could feel a pulsing in the handle. I looked up
at the top of the spindle and lo and behold, it was wobbling. It runs out
about .020" Anybody ever tried to straighten a spindle on a Bridgeport M
head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM. I'm afraid the bearings
wont last too long in the spindle pulley and maybe in the quill.$$$$$!!! If
straightening isn't an option, does anyone know where to find a new spindle,
B&S 7 taper?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Tom Wait wrote:
Well I got my verticle head on the Hardinge mill last Friday. UPS had
dropped the crate and bent the spindle. The crate looked fine on the outside
but the supporting parts inside were broken. The head looked fine when I
unboxed it so I installed it, trammed, wired it and flipped te switch. As I
pulled down the quill feed I could feel a pulsing in the handle. I looked up
at the top of the spindle and lo and behold, it was wobbling. It runs out
about .020" Anybody ever tried to straighten a spindle on a Bridgeport M
head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM. I'm afraid the bearings
wont last too long in the spindle pulley and maybe in the quill.$$$$$!!! If
straightening isn't an option, does anyone know where to find a new spindle,
B&S 7 taper?

Contact UPS and let them have it repaired professionally?????

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Tom Wait wrote:

Well I got my verticle head on the Hardinge mill last Friday. UPS had
dropped the crate and bent the spindle. The crate looked fine on the outside
but the supporting parts inside were broken. The head looked fine when I
unboxed it so I installed it, trammed, wired it and flipped te switch. As I
pulled down the quill feed I could feel a pulsing in the handle. I looked up
at the top of the spindle and lo and behold, it was wobbling. It runs out
about .020" Anybody ever tried to straighten a spindle on a Bridgeport M
head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM. I'm afraid the bearings
wont last too long in the spindle pulley and maybe in the quill.$$$$$!!! If
straightening isn't an option, does anyone know where to find a new spindle,
B&S 7 taper?

Immediately take pictures, start documenting EVERYTHING, contact the seller, and
make a whopper claim to UPS. Sadly, when UPS screws up, they pay the sender, not
the receiver, so you will also need to work with whomever shipped it to you. I
sincerely hope you paid with a credit card, because in that happy event you can
write a letter and explain you were shipped a valueless item and that you do not
want to pay for it. This will result in the seller being out the money unless he
can collect from UPS, which is exactly as it should be, he not having packaged
it sufficiently.

If it were me, I wouldn't even think of trying to fix it. I'm simply move past
it while trying to recover my money.

Tough luck!

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Mike Berger says...

If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

This is possibly true, but the bearings in the quill are probably
toast at this point. Because b'port used standard SAE bearings
which were specially ground for each spindle, it would be very,
very tough for him to replace them.

I would strongly urge him to obtain redress from the shipper
and seller at this point.

In the meantime, he can use his hardinge milling machine the
way I do - sideways! Things mill sideways just fine.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

That was I was hoping. The bottom end runs true, within .0002" The pulsing
in the quill feed handle gets worse as the quill gets lower leading me to
think that the bend is at the top end. I'm hoping someone in the group has
done this or somthing similar.
Tom

Tom Wait wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:33:38 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

That was I was hoping. The bottom end runs true, within .0002" The pulsing
in the quill feed handle gets worse as the quill gets lower leading me to
think that the bend is at the top end. I'm hoping someone in the group has
done this or somthing similar.

Why does it seem that you're resistant to the idea of having the shipper
compensate you for the concealed shipping damage?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Mike Berger says...

If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

This is possibly true, but the bearings in the quill are probably
toast at this point. Because b'port used standard SAE bearings
which were specially ground for each spindle, it would be very,
very tough for him to replace them.

The bearings don't seem to be damaged yet. It runs pretty quiet. I've used
it at the lower speeds for a couple of hours. It's working OK, but high
speeds are scary.

I would strongly urge him to obtain redress from the shipper and seller at

this point.

I've got a claim started with UPS. The guys were here to pick it up and send
it back to the factory, whence it came. I chuckled and told them Bridgeport
went out of business and the assets were sold twice. They groaned and made a
phone call to the inspector to have her come to the shop to look the machine
over. They agreed the crate was broken and the spindle was bent. The
delivery guys were real nice and helpful, like they were on my side. However
they were just delivery guys. The inspector hasn't been here yet.

In the meantime, he can use his hardinge milling machine the
way I do - sideways! Things mill sideways just fine.

I have a project that requires my rotary table, the Gatling guns. I tried to
figure a way to mount it on an angle plate to do the work with the
horizontal spindle. The rotary is a 9" Troyke, it would have taken a huge
angle plate and a lot of time to machine it to make it work. Besides I
wanted the quill of the vertical head.

Tom
please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tom Wait wrote:
[...]

That may be an option. I've already begun the claim process.
Tom

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
If it's really just bowed in one spot you might be able to
straighten it with an arbor press.

That was I was hoping. The bottom end runs true, within .0002" The

pulsing
in the quill feed handle gets worse as the quill gets lower leading me

think that the bend is at the top end. I'm hoping someone in the group

has
done this or somthing similar.

Why does it seem that you're resistant to the idea of having the shipper
compensate you for the concealed shipping damage?

I'm not resistant to being compensated for the damage. Why does it seem that
way? I've already started the claim process with UPS. Did you miss that
post? I need this tool to do my work. I'm looking for help in locating parts
that I hope UPS will pay for and help in the process of repairing the head
for which I hope UPS will compensate me. If you can help me accomplish these
goals I would be eternally grateful.
I paid for the head with a check. It's cleared my bank. There is no way I
can stop payment. The seller/shipper seams OK. Iv'e informed him of the
problem and he is sympathetic. He hasn't offered a refund and I wouldn't
either if the tables were turned. Until the UPS inspector looks at the
machine, I have no way of knowing what they will do. My limited experience
with insurance claims suggest they will blame the shipper for inadequate
packing, anything to avoid or minimize payment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:52:52 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Why does it seem that you're resistant to the idea of having the shipper
compensate you for the concealed shipping damage?

I'm not resistant to being compensated for the damage. Why does it seem that
way? I've already started the claim process with UPS. Did you miss that
post?

Nah, it just came in after I asked the question, at least as seen from
here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelley Mascher

If you would like to have someone with experience straighten the
shaft, take it to a good crankshaft shop. They should be able to do
it.

Kelley

Tom Wait wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Kelley Mascher" wrote in message

If you would like to have someone with experience straighten the
shaft, take it to a good crankshaft shop. They should be able to do
it.

Kelley

Excellent idea. I'll keep it in mind. There's a couple gear heads in the
building here. They'll know someone.
Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:08:48 GMT, "Tom Wait"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.machineryrebuilding.com/

Call these folks and get a qote on straightening. They probably dont
do it..but will sub it out.

Contact any machine rebuilder in your area for sources for
straightening services.

Ive crossposed this into AMC..perhaps someone there may have a
suggestion. Its not a terribly complicated spindle..perhaps a
crankshaft rebuilder may be able to do it....some motorheads on AMC
should know also

Hate to say it here, but doubtful in my own mind how any shipper would even
have the means available to them to go doin sometthin so grossly negligent
in their normal shipping procedures that would cause any perceptable runout
in a properly assembled spindle, short of them having run it over with a
****ing bulldozer or tank....this even including UPS...

IOW, someone shipped him junk to begin with..IMO, so dont go to trying to
blame the ****ing shipper--thats a pretty hard row to hoe even when they're
indeed the one's to blame.

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:08:48 GMT, "Tom Wait"

Bridgeport M head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM.

Oops.....I definately missed THAT part..

Why then you not looking to balance it at say 35,000 or 75,000 rpms then ???

Hmmmm...just thinkin I might be smellin a "troll" here....

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:06:11 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:08:48 GMT, "Tom Wait"

Bridgeport M head? It makes one hell of a racket at 12,000 RPM.

Oops.....I definately missed THAT part..

Why then you not looking to balance it at say 35,000 or 75,000 rpms then ???

Hmmmm...just thinkin I might be smellin a "troll" here....

the little M head does run at 12k.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:06:11 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"

the little M head does run at 12k.

Good bit of info then ...........

But my opinion still stands---what exactly could any shipper have possibly
done that would aaffect a milling spindle as is it is being discussed here
???

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

the little M head does run at 12k.

They made a special high-speed version with a flat,
rather than V belt. I don't think the regular one
goes that fast.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
D Murphy

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in
newsuCdnZ0l45OLZAbenZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:06:11 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"

the little M head does run at 12k.

Good bit of info then ...........

But my opinion still stands---what exactly could any shipper have
possibly done that would aaffect a milling spindle as is it is being
discussed here ???

Aren't the "M" heads the older belt driven heads that have the splined
quill sticking out of the top? If that's the case that end of the quill is
fairly small diameter wise and it sticks our a fair amount. Enough that it
could be bent easily.

If it's that end of the spindle I would just take it apart and straghten it
using v-blocks, an indicator, and a soft dead blow hammer. If it's the head
I'm thinking of, it has to be.. what? 60+ years old? I doubt that you can
get a new quill for it and a spindle repair house is going to straighten it
the same way.

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
PrecisionMachinisT

"D Murphy" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, FWIW I could be dead assed wrong here--no big deal and I do appreciate
any corrections in fact.

--

SVL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Bill Schwab

If it's that end of the spindle I would just take it apart and straghten it
using v-blocks, an indicator, and a soft dead blow hammer.

I can almost picture that, but where would you mount it? On the mill's
table??? If it were mine, I'd hate to swing at it that hard.

If it's the head
I'm thinking of, it has to be.. what? 60+ years old?

Barely broken in??

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
D Murphy

Bill Schwab wrote in
nk.net:

If it's that end of the spindle I would just take it apart and
straghten it using v-blocks, an indicator, and a soft dead blow
hammer.

I can almost picture that, but where would you mount it? On the
mill's table??? If it were mine, I'd hate to swing at it that hard.

Ideally on a heavy surface plate. In a pinch you could get it real close to
straight on a cement floor.

If it's the head
I'm thinking of, it has to be.. what? 60+ years old?

Barely broken in??

Only if it was barely ever run.

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinkiing parts for it are scarce.

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:01:53 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:06:11 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"

the little M head does run at 12k.

Good bit of info then ...........

But my opinion still stands---what exactly could any shipper have possibly
done that would aaffect a milling spindle as is it is being discussed here
???

Shrug....the M head is not known for its structural dynamics..G and
if you drop the thing off a truck just the right way..and if the
packaging (alleged to be adequate for most shipping) collapesed in
just the right way..its entirely possible to bend ****. Ive worked on
far too many old machines that came out of high school machine shops
to ever think any machine is " bullet proof" to rough handling. Even
uninentionally. Frankly..if any head was gonna get bent..Id say it
would be the M, or the Rushnock, or even the Diamond.

Its entirely possible the seller sold him a bill of goods, and it had
been run into with a forklift, but...shrug...most sellers are pretty
honest, particularly in the hobby world. To some of these
guys...their machines have become additional children to nurture and
take care of...so shrug.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Gunner Asch

On 11 Dec 2005 17:50:32 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

[...]

yup.. thats the one.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Aren't the "M" heads the older belt driven heads that have the splined
quill sticking out of the top? If that's the case that end of the quill is
fairly small diameter wise and it sticks our a fair amount. Enough that it
could be bent easily.

If it's that end of the spindle I would just take it apart and straghten it
using v-blocks, an indicator, and a soft dead blow hammer. If it's the head
I'm thinking of, it has to be.. what? 60+ years old? I doubt that you can
get a new quill for it and a spindle repair house is going to straighten it
the same way.

yup.. thats the one.

Because he says the bottom of the spindle still has about two tenths
rounout, this is a possible approach.

HOWEVER:

Taking an M head spindle apart is a tad tricky. He needs to get the
entire spindle free from the bearings, spacers, and quill for this
to work possibly.

He'll need to make a special wrench to undo the locknut at the
top of the bearing stack, and then work up something to undo the
cap nut at the bottom.

If he removes any of the bearings off the spindle (there are four, two
close together at the bottom and two farther apart at the top) he
has to mark them so they go back in in the same spot, in the *same*
orientation - facing up, or down. He also has to mark the spacers
and put them in the same way, I would suggest.

If the bent portion is confined to the splined upper section that
would be best because he could probably leave the bearings on the
spindle. Removing them risks damage because some of them require
the press-off force to be applied through the balls.

The lower two bearings are the critical ones, the upper two are
basically electric motor grade and could be replaced if needed.
If he does that, do NOT use sealed bearings, as the lower ones
get their lube via drip through the upper ones.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Gunner Asch

says...

[...]

Thanks for the treatise on disassembling the head, Jim. I didn't get Gunners
post, but it was quoted. I'm expecting the UPS inspector in the shop today
or tomorrow. Then I'll know what I can afford to do.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Tom Wait says...

Thanks for the treatise on disassembling the head, Jim. I didn't get Gunners
post, but it was quoted. I'm expecting the UPS inspector in the shop today
or tomorrow. Then I'll know what I can afford to do.

Don't take it apart unless you have b'ports exploded view
diagram. Let me know if you can't find one.

The M heads really are a bit of precision work, I was very
impressed with what was inside when I took mine apart.

They're also sort of ship-in-a-bottle, there's really only
one disassembly sequence that actually results in a completely
dismantled M head on your bench.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Tom Wait

says...

Thanks for the treatise on disassembling the head, Jim. I didn't get

Gunners
post, but it was quoted. I'm expecting the UPS inspector in the shop

today
or tomorrow. Then I'll know what I can afford to do.

Don't take it apart unless you have b'ports exploded view
diagram. Let me know if you can't find one.

There was one in the files of the Bridgeport group on yahoo. I found it the
other day but couldn't read it, it was so small. I planned on saving it
later and blowing it up, but it seems to have disappeared. At least I
couldn't access it again last night. If you have one, I'd appreciate a copy,
electronic or paper. Naturally I'd pay for any expenses.
Tom