Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Default Metal halide lights questions (bought some)

"Ignoramus8325" wrote in message
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely due
to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the seller). I
laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm up
(not a problem), and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and even
that is great.

Secondly, the color from the bulb that was there, leaves much to be
desired, it is kind of "cold". I am curious if I can buy some other
250W MH bulbs that produce a more lively color.

Internally, all they have is a multitap transformer and a capacitor.

Any thoughts on this?

Metal Halide lamps were developed primarily for commercial applications.
The light color produced is in the blue green spectrum. If you want to get
better color using them you could mix their light with some low wattage
incandescent lamps which are in the red orange part of the spectrum. A
color meter would help you find a good balance.