Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Default ideas for rapid fire golf ball launcher

Somebody gave me about a hundred pounds of golf balls. They are just
sitting in a bag out in the back yard.
Since I suck at goll and most other sports it got me to thinking that I
may be able to launch these things in some other way than whacking them
with a 3 wood (which for some reason I have at least 4 of).
So, the question is..
how should I craft a machine to fling these things in a rapid fire
fashion very fast and very far?
Compressed air might work, spinning wheels a la tennis ball practice
machine?
gunpowder is not even an option (too loud).
Any better Ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Compressed air.

I built a gun I use for paintball that uses CO2 at around 800 psi. You could
make that fire very hard if you wanted. And, your not bound by an extension
cord.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:21:12 -0800, (daniel
peterman) wrote:

Somebody gave me about a hundred pounds of golf balls. They are just
sitting in a bag out in the back yard.
Since I suck at goll and most other sports it got me to thinking that I
may be able to launch these things in some other way than whacking them
with a 3 wood (which for some reason I have at least 4 of).
So, the question is..
how should I craft a machine to fling these things in a rapid fire
fashion very fast and very far?
Compressed air might work, spinning wheels a la tennis ball practice
machine?
gunpowder is not even an option (too loud).
Any better Ideas?

Take a look at one of these--
http://www.bloomautomatic.com/

Look might usefull to me, taming the squirrels robbing
the bird feeder, neighbors cat in the flower bed. Use your
imagination.. Looks to be an afternoon project for a HSM
type. Anyone have a good blank load for a 223?

DE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

While active military and being bored a loong time ago we used to use
the co2 fire extinguishers to propell nails and bb's. WE eventually
used apiece of pipe and some fittings to propell golf balls. We would
unscrew the horn on the extinguisher, and put the "barrel" on it, aim
it and then just a quick bump down on the extinguishers handle sent a
high pressure charge of CO2 into the barrel and out went the golf
ball. On a decent charge it was able to drive nails through 1/2 inch
plywood, and when we shot gold balls up against a brick wall actually
split some covers on the golf balls......

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jd

Take a look at one of these--
http://www.bloomautomatic.com/

Look might usefull to me, taming the squirrels robbing
the bird feeder, neighbors cat in the flower bed. Use
your
imagination.. Looks to be an afternoon project for a HSM
type. Anyone have a good blank load for a 223?

DE

Those long par 5s will be a piece of cake with one of those
on the old FAL.
jd