FixerDave

Default $50 DRO?

I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap digital
calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do is set the 0
and I'd have about 6" of measured travel. Maybe a movable stop on one end
so that range could be set to wherever I was working... maybe a magnetic
base.

has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see yet?

David...

Gunner

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:00:49 -0800, "FixerDave"
wrote:

I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap digital
calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do is set the 0
and I'd have about 6" of measured travel. Maybe a movable stop on one end
so that range could be set to wherever I was working... maybe a magnetic
base.

has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see yet?

David...

blink..blink... ah..Dave?

Lots of them out there...

Gunner

"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or
delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

Bob May

Not a silly idea but rather a fair idea that keeps popping up as new people
figure it out.
Dial indicators were used before the digital stuff came out and the followon
to dial indicators are calipers of the various kinds to get a longer range.
In other words, not a new idea but a well worn path of an old idea.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

Ted Edwards

FixerDave wrote:

I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap digital
calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do is set the 0
has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see yet?

See
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_1998_retired_files/Smithymods1.gif

I used the Mitutoyo quill kit 'cause I got a deal on it. I could send
you a picture if you wish.

Ted

ATP

FixerDave wrote:
I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap
digital calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do
is set the 0 and I'd have about 6" of measured travel. Maybe a
movable stop on one end so that range could be set to wherever I was
working... maybe a magnetic base.

has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see
yet?

David...

A guy at the auction yesterday bought a milling machine with a three axis
DRO for $140, took the DRO off and sold the machine for $50.

FixerDave

"Ron Coffey" wrote in message
y.com...
He was kidding ....right?

wrote:

I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap

digital
calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do is set

the
0
and I'd have about 6" of measured travel. Maybe a movable stop on one

end
so that range could be set to wherever I was working... maybe a

magnetic
base.

has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see

yet?

David...

blink..blink... ah..Dave?

Lots of them out there...

Gunner

No, I wasn't kidding. I just never heard of a "digital scale unit."
Thanks for the pointer, do they go by any other names that I can search
for?

That's the problem with most things when you get into them. How do you
find what you want if you don't know what their called? Or don't know they
exist.

David...

BEAR

Geez...

Where the heck are auctions like that??

_-_-bear

ATP wrote:

FixerDave wrote:
I just had a silly idea... If I made a bracket to hold my cheap
digital calliper on an axis of my lathe/mill. All I would have to do
is set the 0 and I'd have about 6" of measured travel. Maybe a
movable stop on one end so that range could be set to wherever I was
working... maybe a magnetic base.

has anyone tried this or is there a problem with the idea I can't see
yet?

David...

A guy at the auction yesterday bought a milling machine with a three axis
DRO for $140, took the DRO off and sold the machine for $50.

--
_-_- BEAR Labs
- Custom Audio Equipment, Cables, Mods, Repairs -

ATP

BEAR wrote:
Geez...

Where the heck are auctions like that??

_-_-bear

This one was six miles from my house. The machinery dealers have more
machines they can warehouse right now, so they're not even bothering with
the less marketable stuff.