Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wws

Default 0.0008661417 inch hole

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Pretty cool. It reminds me of a story I read a while back about a
company that specializes in drilling small holes. Another company wrote
them talking smack, saying how they can actually drill the smallest
holes. They even sent the first company one of their drill bits. The
first company sent the drill bit back to the second company with a nice
letter telling them to look at the drill bit under a microscope and
look at the hole they drilled through it.
LOL
I'll see if I can find that story again.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

mj wrote:
Pretty cool. It reminds me of a story I read a while back about a
company that specializes in drilling small holes. Another company wrote
them talking smack, saying how they can actually drill the smallest
holes. They even sent the first company one of their drill bits. The
first company sent the drill bit back to the second company with a nice
letter telling them to look at the drill bit under a microscope and
look at the hole they drilled through it.
LOL
I'll see if I can find that story again.
Mike

That second story is urban legend. - GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Haar

Hi,

At first that seems small, but I doubt that it is
any kind of record. One can buy off-the-shelf
drill bits from Small Parts that are
0.05 mm or 0.0019 inch in diameter.
At 0.022 mm or 0.00086 inch, the holes in the
article are only a bit under half of the size of
these drill bits.

Thanks
Roger

wws wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

wws wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

I noticed they didn't mention how THICK the steel they drilled through was.

Now let's see someone figure out how long it would take my barbeque
grill propane tank to discharge from full to zero if one of those holes
was drilled through it at the top.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Very carefully, and with a smaller object than the hole?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:02:47 -0800, Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Very carefully, and with a smaller object than the hole?

(checks headers)
What group are we in again?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Well, DUH, using a .0008661416 and .0008661418 go/nogo gauge pin set

of course you could probably use the .0008661417 gauge pin since we know
it really wouldn't go into the hole.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:11:47 GMT, yourname wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Well, DUH, using a .0008661416 and .0008661418 go/nogo gauge pin set

Stupid me. Of course. I seem to be, er, out of them at the moment.

of course you could probably use the .0008661417 gauge pin since we know
it really wouldn't go into the hole.....

I seem to have used up my last one of those as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmmmm... I think it should be a 0.008661417 inch hole, not
0.0008661417, yes?

Harri

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, my mistake, got carried away...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:13:54 GMT, Ignoramus5455 wrote:
Kind of a related question, how do they make very thin strands, like
in fine stranded wire?

Well, copper, silver, and gold, can be drawn quite well through
successively smaller holes in a plate. Been done that way for, what,
thousands? of years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:29:42 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't think so, no. That's why it's remarkable. A number 80 drill
bit is at, what, 0.145", so half that wouldn't be surprising. a 20th of
that, yes. That's why it's news, I guess.

Ugh. I also slipped a digit. .0145" of course.

*******************
Now Dave thinks an "eighty" is "point one four five".
But I fear that his memory has taken a dive.
Were it really that big,
Too much hole it would dig,
I hope he'll agree it's "point ohwon three five".

You, sir, are an artist.

Jeff (Ducking....)

Dave "grinning"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam

Yeah, but let's see you drill a hole with that into steel on location,
without a centre drill, and without breaking it.

And, a reduction in diameter by 1/2 yields a reduction in area of 1/4.
Your X-sec shrinks by this much... the ratio of the length to radius
goes down... and the forces acting to buckle the so-called "drill-bit"
increase exponentially.

It's a small hole, come on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Dave Hinz wrote in news:3v5vihF13ks5fU8
@individual.net:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

You could take a machine such as a Mahr MMQ and put a 15 micron ruby
probe in it and trace the hole axially, then spin the part and do two or
three roundness checks. This would give you straightness, parallelism,
ovality and Pv.
What they also failed to mention was how deep the hole was. Big
difference in burning a hole that small in 22 gauge sheet metal and in a
3/4" plate.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Donnie Barnes

On Wed, 30 Nov, Anthony wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in news:3v5vihF13ks5fU8
@individual.net:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

You could take a machine such as a Mahr MMQ and put a 15 micron ruby
probe in it and trace the hole axially, then spin the part and do two or
three roundness checks. This would give you straightness, parallelism,
ovality and Pv.
What they also failed to mention was how deep the hole was. Big
difference in burning a hole that small in 22 gauge sheet metal and in a
3/4" plate.

How small can those big expensive water jets go?

--Donnie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Anthony wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in news:3v5vihF13ks5fU8
@individual.net:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

You could take a machine such as a Mahr MMQ and put a 15 micron ruby
probe in it and trace the hole axially, then spin the part and do two or
three roundness checks. This would give you straightness, parallelism,
ovality and Pv.
What they also failed to mention was how deep the hole was. Big
difference in burning a hole that small in 22 gauge sheet metal and in a
3/4" plate.

Scanning electron microscopes with measurement
capability have been around for 25 years.

You mount and image the specimen, move electronically
superimposed crosshairs over the features and get
a direct readout. A good operator could vary
the image focus down the hole and get a profile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wws

xray wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

0.0008661417 inch hole?

Aren't calculators wonderful? Digits beyond 0.00087 are useless, since
they imply more accuracy than the mm measurement in the story.

Oops, used a Microsoft calculator.
Sorry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Isn't an #80 ANSSST (American National Standard Straight Shank Twist) drill more like .0135
A #97 is .0059" or 0.15mm

And the number '866' looks so Trig like to me.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005 10:02:24 -0800, wrote:

Hmmmm... I think it should be a 0.008661417 inch hole, not
0.0008661417, yes?

I don't think so, no. That's why it's remarkable. A number 80 drill
bit is at, what, 0.145", so half that wouldn't be surprising. a 20th of
that, yes. That's why it's news, I guess.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On 30 Nov 2005 03:40:39 -0800, "mj" wrote:

Pretty cool. It reminds me of a story I read a while back about a
company that specializes in drilling small holes. Another company wrote
them talking smack, saying how they can actually drill the smallest
holes. They even sent the first company one of their drill bits. The
first company sent the drill bit back to the second company with a nice
letter telling them to look at the drill bit under a microscope and
look at the hole they drilled through it.
LOL
I'll see if I can find that story again.
Mike

When I heard this story, the bit came back with a machine screw in a
threaded hole through it. this was about sixty years ago.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

LOL.
Golly, I feel stupid. I usually don't fall for those urban legend
things if it sounds too good to be true. I usually check www.snopes.com
to make sure the facts are true. But this really sounded like it could
have happened.
Thanks for the clarification.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Jacobs

"wws" wrote in message

xray wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

Hi All,

I've just read this thread, and it made me remember the urban legend my
dad told me in 1950 or so. Apparently the Germans made the Worlds
smallest
drill, and sent it to the British. They drilled a hole through it and
sent
it to America. The Americans then drilled a hole through the shaft
longways,
and returned it to the Germans. I'm sure that my dad, who was a
toolmaker
believed this, and of course so did I until now.

Best Regards

Tom.

Nunce excreta in extractum est.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Tom Jacobs wrote:

"wws" wrote in message

xray wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:35:06 -0600, wws wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/29/smallest_hole/

Not actually drilled, but really small.
I wonder if its round.

Hi All,

I've just read this thread, and it made me remember the urban legend my
dad told me in 1950 or so. Apparently the Germans made the Worlds
smallest
drill, and sent it to the British. They drilled a hole through it and
sent
it to America. The Americans then drilled a hole through the shaft
longways,
and returned it to the Germans. I'm sure that my dad, who was a
toolmaker
believed this, and of course so did I until now.

The way I heard it there was a Swiss watch manufacturer involved somewhere
along the way.

Best Regards

Tom.

Nunce excreta in extractum est.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Gerald Miller wrote:

When I heard this story, the bit came back with a machine screw in a
threaded hole through it. this was about sixty years ago.

Could you please send that screw to me. So I can drill a hole through
it's head for a securing wire. Would be too sad if shakes loose.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

"Tom Jacobs" wrote:

I've just read this thread, and it made me remember the urban legend my
dad told me in 1950 or so. Apparently the Germans made the Worlds
smallest
drill, and sent it to the British. They drilled a hole through it and
sent
it to America. The Americans then drilled a hole through the shaft
longways,
and returned it to the Germans. I'm sure that my dad, who was a
toolmaker
believed this, and of course so did I until now.

Best Regards
Tom.

Ah nationalism - the way I heard this joke, the Yanks came first,
then the Brits then the Germans.

Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Dave Hinz wrote:

I wonder how you'd tell, and how you'd measure it?

Geez. The red C* hair chart. Refer to append. 3c for
roundness/straightness factors.

Helped?

~D

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 30 Nov 2005 13:13:07 -0800, "Adam" wrote:

Yeah, but let's see you drill a hole with that into steel on location,
without a centre drill, and without breaking it.

And, a reduction in diameter by 1/2 yields a reduction in area of 1/4.
Your X-sec shrinks by this much... the ratio of the length to radius
goes down... and the forces acting to buckle the so-called "drill-bit"
increase exponentially.

It's a small hole, come on.

Edm or laser

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Hey Jeff
How well done do you want that steak?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I have a tiny Hout drill index here in my hands with twist drills so
small I can't even see them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Isn't there a Swiss somebody involved in all these legends?
Wut up with that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I heard that it was the American watchmakers that made the smallest
screw possible and sent it to the Swiss watchmakers, who drilled and
tapped it and installed an even smaller screw in it.
Some years back an issue of National Geographic had an article on
East Indian art. There was a photo, taken through a microscope, of a
very small ivory needle that had carved into it--right through it,
actually, so that the needle became the top and bottom rails--of an
elephant pack train, complete with drovers. The detail was
breathtaking. As I age and my eyesight gets worse, I marvel at the guys
who could do such things without fancy equipment.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to daniel peterman :
I have a tiny Hout drill index here in my hands with twist drills so
small I can't even see them.

The #61-80 index? I certainly need my glasses to work with the
#80. :-)

And -- I don't know whether you have discovered this, yet, but
if you have one of those 118 bit indexes (number, letter, and fractional
sizes), in the letter size cavity, there is a clip formed on the divider
which separates the letter size from the fractional. That clip is just
right to hold the #61-80 size index, and I have mine in there.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564