Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

Default What good supplies should I get while in the UK?

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

Mercurochrome if it's still legal there...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Proper Ovaltine if you like it. I remember in Wichita Ks once finding UK
Ovaltine in an oriental food market. It was exported from the UK to asia
then to the US. Unlike the US product the ingredients list didn't read
like a chemistry set contents.

Decent bacon, though I doubt you'll be allowed in with it.

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Hammond

Marmite - an edible lubricant - good on toast and high temperature
bearings

In message , Bob Chilcoat
writes
I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:16:19 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

It upsets me, but there are probably very few things that you can't get
cheaper at home. However, if you haven't already got them or if the price is
right...
Posidrive screwdrivers No1,2 &3 sizes. You might not need them now, but when
you do, Phillips or Reed & Prince don't fit.
Metric screws/nuts/spanners/taps
BA screws/nuts/spanners/taps

Failing that and still within the airline baggage limitation.
A Stilton cheese and a firkin of Adnam's Broadside bitter or Ruddles County
ale.

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

I can get Stilton here. Beer's a good possibility, but I plan to have
consumed my fill of Brains SA when I'm in Cardiff, and my favorite,
Wadsworth 6X, doesn't travel well.

wrote:

Failing that and still within the airline baggage limitation.
A Stilton cheese and a firkin of Adnam's Broadside bitter or Ruddles
County
ale.

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

I could have you take senior son, in the other London, some Kraft
Dinner, both times I went, I took him a suitcase full - 50 boxes. One
year, for his birthday, I sent him a twelve pack - cost me $5.00 for
the KD and $40.00 postage. He figures he could import it at that rate
and still make a profit!
Metal content? The tin pot, of course!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

I sure like my TFal 240-volt 3000-watt kettle for coffee or tea
NOW!!!!. I have a UK-style outlet next to the welder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin

I went to live in Vancouver for 5 months last year. Brought a big jar
of Marmite with me, only to find that the supermarket 20 yards down the
road stocked it!!

By the way, I can't stand US electrical plugs/sockets - they never seem
to hold things securely like the British ones do. For normal flex it's
OK but when you've got a transformer with those two thin pins, they
never sit very securely in the wall.

Take some Milky Way chocolate bars back and amaze the folks back home
when they discover that they don't have any caramel. Astonish them
further by producing some Mars Bars, which do...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

We've had a TFal "wireless" kettle in the kitchen for at least 15 years.
Before that we had a Russell Hobbs stainless steel kettle. I wired up a 230
V outlet next to the microwave (20 amp duplex outlet with horizontal pins
instead of the usual 115 V vertical ones, otherwise the same). Used for the
kettle and the Kenwood Chef mixer which is also 230V. Has worked perfectly
for years, and the kettle heats at roughly 4x the typical 15 A 115 V US
kettle. Unfortunately the old TFal is filthy (what IS that black stuff that
comes out of New Jersey water) and has had a couple of minor problems for
years. Time to replace it.

For you US engineers, a "wireless" kettle in the UK has a removable base
that is wired to the outlet, and a plug on the bottom of the kettle. When
you remove the kettle from the base, the holes in the socket in the base
automatically close to prevent any spilled water from entering. It's only
wireless when you remove it from the base to pour, but it makes it much
easier to use. British kettles also have a clever switch that turns them
off when they boil or if heated dry.

--
Bob (Who lived in Wales for several years during Grad School)

wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots
Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage.

I sure like my TFal 240-volt 3000-watt kettle for coffee or tea
NOW!!!!. I have a UK-style outlet next to the welder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:04:58 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

We've had a TFal "wireless" kettle in the kitchen for at least 15 years.
Before that we had a Russell Hobbs stainless steel kettle. I wired up a 230
V outlet next to the microwave (20 amp duplex outlet with horizontal pins
instead of the usual 115 V vertical ones, otherwise the same). Used for the
kettle and the Kenwood Chef mixer which is also 230V. Has worked perfectly
for years, and the kettle heats at roughly 4x the typical 15 A 115 V US
kettle. Unfortunately the old TFal is filthy (what IS that black stuff that
comes out of New Jersey water) and has had a couple of minor problems for
years. Time to replace it.

A current model is the TFal Vitesse Gold. It has gold plating
within; supposedly the black stuff won't stick.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

I'll be in the UK next weekend and part of the following week. I plan on
restocking my Rozalex Barrier Cream supply, getting a couple of Boots Shave
Sticks, a part for the Kenwood Chef mixer, and perhaps a new "wireless"
kettle. You UK metalworkers: anything you really like that I can't get
easily in the US? It's gotta be transportable by Airline baggage

Hey Bob,

Not REAL sure what you mean 'new "wireless" kettle', but if it's what
we use here at home, then there are a number of styles available
closer to home for you, or at least right here in Canada, at any
appliance dealer or store. For instance, a few examples from one of
our large retailers, Canadian Ti

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669983&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bm UID=1132680004597&bmLocale=en_CA&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_ id=845524443283666&assortment=primary&fromSearch=t rue

or

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444327 7171&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517498&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517599&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=1408474396669983&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140 8474396669983&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670 271&bmUID=1132680004856&bmLocale=en_CA

or

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444328 3665&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517498&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517599&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=1408474396669983&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140 8474396669983&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670 271&bmUID=1132680328599&bmLocale=en_CA

Take care. Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:30:11 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

closer to home for you, or at least right here in Canada, at any
appliance dealer or store. For instance, a few examples from one of
our large retailers, Canadian Ti

PS..........OH, and they are all 110VAC 60 Hz (good to 120VAC) just
like you use in ??, USA

BL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:17:27 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I can get Stilton here. Beer's a good possibility, but I plan to have
consumed my fill of Brains SA when I'm in Cardiff, and my favorite,
Wadsworth 6X, doesn't travel well.

OK, Brains is good :-)

Just remembered something that may be significant...
A jar, or tin of Mustard. Possibly also a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM