Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default plasma cutter?

When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut 3/8"
in any conductive material? Aluminum? Stainless? Or does the rated thickness
vary with material the way it does for a punch or shear?

I have a 25A plasma cutter with which I cut 1/4" steel all the time, and I want
to try it on 1/4" aluminum ..

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:19:51 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut 3/8"
in any conductive material? Aluminum? Stainless? Or does the rated thickness
vary with material the way it does for a punch or shear?

I have a 25A plasma cutter with which I cut 1/4" steel all the time, and I want
to try it on 1/4" aluminum ..

GWE

Grant,
My new plasma cutter will cut thicker mild steel than stainless steel.
And thicker stainless steel than aluminum. And thicker aluminum than
copper. But it will still cut 3/4 aluminum. It will cut 3/4 steel at
10 ipm. But it will also hack off a chunk of 1 1/2 inch thick steel.
And I mean hack. Not pretty. So I bet you can do the aluminum but it
might not be as pretty. Or you can pre-heat the al. Works for tig.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

My understanding is, it will make very little difference what type of
material you are cutting. There is relatively little heat involved with
plasma cutting.

If anything, the electrical conductivity of the metal (or resistance) would
have more of an effect. Aluminum and copper being better conductors (lower
resistance) than steel or stainless, using MY theory, would cut better.

This is just my hypothesis, FWIW.

I have a plasma rig that is rated at 3/8 but I cut up to 3/4" stainless or
aluminum but it is slow and not very pretty.

Steve

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut
3/8" in any conductive material? Aluminum? Stainless? Or does the rated
thickness vary with material the way it does for a punch or shear?

I have a 25A plasma cutter with which I cut 1/4" steel all the time, and I
want to try it on 1/4" aluminum ..

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

My experience is that aluminum will draw heat off and dissipate it much
faster. Usually a plasma cutter will do about 60-75% in aluminum of what it
will do in steel.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut
3/8" in any conductive material? Aluminum? Stainless? Or does the rated
thickness vary with material the way it does for a punch or shear?

I have a 25A plasma cutter with which I cut 1/4" steel all the time, and I
want to try it on 1/4" aluminum ..

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut 3/8"
in any conductive material?

All the good plasma cutters are rated with three thicknesses: "neat
cut", "ragged cut" and "sever". This is usually in steel and aluminium
needs de-rating to maybe 75% of this. Copper is even worse.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

If there is so little heat involved with plasma cutting - why does the metal
turn all sorts of colors - Stainless to brown steel in blue and dripping steel.
Oh - plasma is the temperature of the Sun - center IIRC.
Metal sheets 4' wide bow when cut.

Different metals draw different currents. Copper and Al draw more current and
spray it sideways away from the cut so more electrons are needed for the hole.
Steel doesn't conduct well so most make the hole.

So resistivity is very important - but tons of heat. Al oxidizes into tufts.

One thing to remember - How does a water hose work - Big hole - lots of water
but it has little range. Small hole (nozzle) goes a lot farther at higher pressure.
And smaller yet - turns into a pressure washer -

So a fine cut kit can very likely do nicely. Also gouging heads get you closer
and blows the metal sideways out of the slot.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life