Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default plasma cutter?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:19:51 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

When the spec says a plasma cutter can cut 3/8", does that mean it can cut 3/8"
in any conductive material? Aluminum? Stainless? Or does the rated thickness
vary with material the way it does for a punch or shear?

I have a 25A plasma cutter with which I cut 1/4" steel all the time, and I want
to try it on 1/4" aluminum ..

GWE

Grant,
My new plasma cutter will cut thicker mild steel than stainless steel.
And thicker stainless steel than aluminum. And thicker aluminum than
copper. But it will still cut 3/4 aluminum. It will cut 3/4 steel at
10 ipm. But it will also hack off a chunk of 1 1/2 inch thick steel.
And I mean hack. Not pretty. So I bet you can do the aluminum but it
might not be as pretty. Or you can pre-heat the al. Works for tig.
Eric