Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default Dino VS Synthetic Grease Question - MIX...

I'm building a gearbox for a customer that will be running at a speed
slightly beyond my comfort level using simple "dino" based grease inside...

However... The bearings have already been packed with dino grease and I
want to put in high-temp synthetic grease. Does anyone think the 2% dino
will adversely affect the Synthetic grease I plan on packing the unit with?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm building a gearbox for a customer that will be running at a speed
slightly beyond my comfort level using simple "dino" based grease inside...

However... The bearings have already been packed with dino grease and I
want to put in high-temp synthetic grease. Does anyone think the 2% dino
will adversely affect the Synthetic grease I plan on packing the unit with?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

I doubt there would be a problem and I've not seen any computability
warnings on any containers of grease I have, but can't you just clean
the bearings first?

Pete C.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

I doubt there would be a problem and I've not seen any computability
warnings on any containers of grease I have, but can't you just clean
the bearings first?

Back to my original problem... Some are very small needle bearings that are
in a blind hole. Thanks to many here, we have some ideas on how to remove
damaged ones, but I'd hate to remove perfectly good ones just to clean them.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I doubt there would be a problem and I've not seen any computability
warnings on any containers of grease I have, but can't you just clean
the bearings first?

Back to my original problem... Some are very small needle bearings that are
in a blind hole. Thanks to many here, we have some ideas on how to remove
damaged ones, but I'd hate to remove perfectly good ones just to clean them.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Well, I'd expect that the manufacturer of the synthetic grease you
intend to use can readily answer compatibility questions. I found this
number 1-800-Mobil25 (662-4525) on the ExxonMobil site for more info on
synthetics, they can probably answer the compatibility question for
their synthetic greases.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
clay

It probably won't be a problem, since the dino grease is such a low
percentage, BUT, I would not recommend mixing greases. Here is why, with
regular greases, different greases are not made with the same base. And
because of that, if you mix them, then they break down very quickly.
With a synthetic grease, I don't know if there is such a thing as a
base, but the base in the Dino grease may react with the synthetic. The
suggestion to check with the synthetic supplier is a good one, but you
will want to ask them if they have experience with using synthetic as a
replacement grease.

What's it going to cost you to rebuild the unit, if the bearings sieze
later on?

ca

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm building a gearbox for a customer that will be running at a speed
slightly beyond my comfort level using simple "dino" based grease inside...

However... The bearings have already been packed with dino grease and I
want to put in high-temp synthetic grease. Does anyone think the 2% dino
will adversely affect the Synthetic grease I plan on packing the unit with?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:21:37 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm building a gearbox for a customer that will be running at a speed
slightly beyond my comfort level using simple "dino" based grease inside...

However... The bearings have already been packed with dino grease and I
want to put in high-temp synthetic grease. Does anyone think the 2% dino
will adversely affect the Synthetic grease I plan on packing the unit with?

Joe,
Did you ask your bearing supply house?
They usually have such answers .....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:52:58 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I doubt there would be a problem and I've not seen any computability
warnings on any containers of grease I have, but can't you just clean
the bearings first?

Back to my original problem... Some are very small needle bearings that are
in a blind hole. Thanks to many here, we have some ideas on how to remove
damaged ones, but I'd hate to remove perfectly good ones just to clean them.

Joe,
I used to have to remove & clean such on an almost daily basis,
using the proper tool.
IIRC I could almost always reuse the bearing. OTOH It was
easy to replace and did no damage if it had a problem
later (shaft bearing on Urethane mixing impeller).
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:49:29 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Well, I'd expect that the manufacturer of the synthetic grease you
intend to use can readily answer compatibility questions. I found this
number 1-800-Mobil25 (662-4525) on the ExxonMobil site for more info on
synthetics, they can probably answer the compatibility question for
their synthetic greases.

Check the compatibility with any seals as well.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionMachinisT

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I'm building a gearbox for a customer that will be running at a speed
slightly beyond my comfort level using simple "dino" based grease

inside...

However... The bearings have already been packed with dino grease and I
want to put in high-temp synthetic grease. Does anyone think the 2% dino
will adversely affect the Synthetic grease I plan on packing the unit

with?

Suggest quit ****ing around, just wash it all out good and re-pack with the
Kluber nbu-15

SVL