Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roy

Default New project in the works

I am finally getting around to making a bandsaw, floor model vertical
type mainly for cutting metals, and occasional light woodworking when
I need to cut out patterns or plastics.

Frame is going to be made of 4" x 4" x 3/8" thick walled square tube,
since that is what I already have on hand in sufficient quanity. I
have two (possibly 3) but I intend to make it a 2 wheel type, wheels
made from steel and also cast iron, really heavy duty approximately
16" in diameter and 1" wide. Hopefully it will have a throat of at
least 15" and a cutting height of 8 to 10 inches and a tilting table.
I plan on using a piece of 1/2" plate for the table.

What is the thought of driving this bandsaw with a DC motor of 2hp and
using a DART regulated totally variable speed control on it to adjust
the speeds. I plan on adding a jackshaft or pulley off the bottom
drive wheels shaft to the motor and use a timing type or serpentine
type belt to connect it

Should it have enough butt to work with this 2 hp DC motor and a good
controller or should I opt for AC motor and gear reduction by way of
pulleys and jackshaft or gearbox. I really prefert o use up some of
these DC motors I have.

Open for any and all suggestions

Regards
I had no input whatsoever.