Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dave

Default pallet jack, "the oil change scenario", where's it start? (semi-exciting)

ok, guys :-)

is there usually an 'oil drain plug' on most all, some, or 'never' on
pallet jacks? if so, where?

is 'changing the oil' doable without great effort? is there an arcane
procedure involved where I got to somehow 'suck the oil back up into' a
certain tiny passages of the jack somehow, stroke by stroke, with vacuum
pumps, pressure, and weird fittings?

do I need to make sure it's refilled to the correct level using some
obscure method?

I have a steel gallon can of "ford tractor hydraulic oil" here (canned,
and sold by ford motor company, possibly decades ago). any reason I
shouldn't use this in my pallet jack? this oil is *definitely* brand
new, but it's "new old stock" (can looks old, outside was rusty...).
remember: toolie is a tightwad :-)

I'd like to be able to get parts for this thing in the future
(especially hydraulic seals/rings): anybody here recognize this pallet
jack by maker (it has an unusual cross-mounted, foot-pedal pressure
release - see pic), in addition to the 'three position black flipper' in
the upper handle. maybe you got one 'just like it' and you'll tell me
the brand name of *yours*? in lieu of precise info, 'best guesses' are
also welcome :-)

http://hardwares.po.gs/pallet_jack_3_pix/

ps-I found maker named 'king' that make pallet jacks, but the big black
logo lettering is 'way different'...so???

thanks guys :-)

toolie

--
ps-replies by e-mail need to remove the 'weird stuff' from my address
before you click 'send' thanks :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article q31ff.5594$0h5.3762@dukeread10,
dave wrote:

I have a steel gallon can of "ford tractor hydraulic oil" here (canned,
and sold by ford motor company, possibly decades ago). any reason I
shouldn't use this in my pallet jack? this oil is *definitely* brand
new, but it's "new old stock" (can looks old, outside was rusty...).
remember: toolie is a tightwad :-)

Pretty definitely before they sold off the tractor division to New
Holland, at a guess...

You might want to save that can and put it up for sale to the tractor
collector crowd. If you saw my backhoe, you'd know I wasn't one of them,
but they have been known to enhance the finances of tightwads with
things that say "Ford" or "John Deere" or "Allis Chalmers" on them...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:10:13 -0500, dave
wrote:

is there usually an 'oil drain plug' on most all, some, or 'never' on
pallet jacks? if so, where?

It's usually either obvious, or there isn't one and you unscrew some
other component like the lowering valve instead.