Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Elliptical Cam Lock

I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be
permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical
locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole
that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the
cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical
aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This
will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang
them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I
could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be
permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical
locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole
that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the
cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical
aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This
will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang
them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I
could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sounds like ordinary window lock hardware.

Vaughn

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be
permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical
locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole
that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the
cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical
aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This
will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang
them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I
could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cycle seat pin or axle "quick-release bolt/skewer."

The seat pin ones will hold about an inch of material together, the axle
ones will do about 5 inches. They are about 3/16th thick; usually have
rolled threads, but you can run a die down them and get whatever length you
need. There are boutique versions and cheap ones - the cheap ones are
stronger as they don't use aluminium or titanium and tend to have thicker
parts (and they're MUCH cheaper - cycle part mfr's are very good at
marketing hype and hyped pricing).

If you need to have the outside plate come off without dis-assembling the
bolts then you will need a more complicated design - or slots in the plate,
maybe you can rotate of slide it after loosening the bolts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

You could also consider using toggle clamps that are commercially
available in most woodworking catalogues. Pro'lly cheaper too.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be
permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical
locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole
that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the
cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical
aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This
will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang
them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I
could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're talking about quarter-turn fasteners like those made by
Dzus and Southco but I don't think they can handle anywhere near one ton...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...turn+fasteners

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
blutoof

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be
permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical
locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole
that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the
cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical
aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This
will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang
them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I
could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Sounds like a roto-lock , sometimes called a coffin lock.
They're used to hold stage sections together. most theatrical supply
companies should carry them. Many sound/light companies also use them on
road cases, so you may be able to pick them up at your local music store.

---

V.McNeil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

why won't a bolt work?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
larry g

http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?cid=7315

Have you tried the products from Southco?
lg
no neat sig line

oups.com...