Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

Default O.T.-- Cell phone question

Not metal related, but I know Gunner is somewhat familiar with them, so:

Hypothetical situation is two individuals are neighbors in New York and one
has a cell phone with xxx area code assigned.

The one with a cell phone takes a trip to California and asks his neighbor
to call him at his "cellular" number if any problems occur during his
absence.

His roof gets blown off in a storm and the neighbor calls on his land phone,
using the local xxx area code assigned to the cellular number.

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ace wrote:

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

I believe so.

At least, the opposite is true - a call to a cell phone based in a
distant area code is not local even if the phone is physically located
in the caller's local calling area. I occasionally run into this given
that I haven't changed numbers after moving, but rarely as I talk
almost exclusively to other cell phones and we all seem to have
domestic long distance free within our alloted plan minutes. It only
ever comes up if someone is using a land line because they are out of
cell minutes - I then sometimes get asked to call them back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:39:43 GMT, Ace wrote:

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

You're dialing a local number. The recipient's cellular carrier handles
getting it to his phone. It's a local call.

Now, if it was about a tree blowing over instead of a roof being blown
off, the rules all change, obviously.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Interesting how that might work in the US. In the UK if you place a call
to a UK number but that number is abroad and they have the
international roaming set-up then you pay the UK call rate to that phone
and the receiving end pays the international call charge which I think
depends on the provider in that country. I could see how a similar
system might work in the US as the call still has to be transfered
through the providers to get to the other side of the country.

Ace wrote:

Not metal related, but I know Gunner is somewhat familiar with them, so:

Hypothetical situation is two individuals are neighbors in New York and one
has a cell phone with xxx area code assigned.

The one with a cell phone takes a trip to California and asks his neighbor
to call him at his "cellular" number if any problems occur during his
absence.

His roof gets blown off in a storm and the neighbor calls on his land phone,
using the local xxx area code assigned to the cellular number.

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:39:43 GMT, the renowned "Ace"
wrote:

Not metal related, but I know Gunner is somewhat familiar with them, so:

Hypothetical situation is two individuals are neighbors in New York and one
has a cell phone with xxx area code assigned.

The one with a cell phone takes a trip to California and asks his neighbor
to call him at his "cellular" number if any problems occur during his
absence.

His roof gets blown off in a storm and the neighbor calls on his land phone,
using the local xxx area code assigned to the cellular number.

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Yes. The recipient pays the long distance (and roaming or whatever)
charges. The caller just calls the local number and has no way of
knowing where the other person is, nor does it matter from a billing
point of view.

Even if you're in another country, on another continent, the recipient
pays. Sometimes the caller ID works in places like Asia, but not
always.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

Probably not. For instance I have a 315 cell phone. My BIL has a 315
landline. I can call him no charge (long distance is included in my plan
so I pay in advance) BUT if he calls me it is considered long distance.
The reason being that the exchange code (the next three digit number
after the area code) is not a local number for him. The cell companies
exchange codes are in a special block compared to landline phones and
the last I knew they were not local calls for any landline exchanges.

Another item of interest coming out now are that many of the VOIP phones
(like Vonage) do not give any 911 info when used for emergency calls
unless you pay extra and ask them to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Not metal related, but I know Gunner is somewhat familiar with them, so:

Hypothetical situation is two individuals are neighbors in New York and one
has a cell phone with xxx area code assigned.

The one with a cell phone takes a trip to California and asks his neighbor
to call him at his "cellular" number if any problems occur during his
absence.

His roof gets blown off in a storm and the neighbor calls on his land phone,
using the local xxx area code assigned to the cellular number.

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the roof
being blown off?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

If you call that local number, even if the cell is in Bum****
Arkansas..its still a local call to you. If the cell is on a
nationwide network..there is no roaming charges to him either.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

WTD: dead Motorola T720 cell phone Stuff gotta go Electronics Repair 0 July 20th 05 12:06 AM
Need Cell phone camera lens "cover" Barry & Nikki Electronics Repair 1 April 24th 05 07:12 AM
phone wiring orientation question oktokie Home Repair 4 July 28th 04 06:14 AM
Cell Phone M. Anas Electronics 1 July 13th 04 01:17 PM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 04:35 PM