Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default O.T.-- Cell phone question

"Ace" wrote in message
Not metal related, but I know Gunner is somewhat familiar with them,

so:

Hypothetical situation is two individuals are neighbors in New York

and one
has a cell phone with xxx area code assigned.

The one with a cell phone takes a trip to California and asks his

neighbor
to call him at his "cellular" number if any problems occur during his
absence.

His roof gets blown off in a storm and the neighbor calls on his land

phone,
using the local xxx area code assigned to the cellular number.

The question: Is the call made from New York to California on a land

based
phone to a cellular phone a local call to the neighbor reporting the

roof
being blown off?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Probably not. For instance I have a 315 cell phone. My BIL has a 315
landline. I can call him no charge (long distance is included in my plan
so I pay in advance) BUT if he calls me it is considered long distance.
The reason being that the exchange code (the next three digit number
after the area code) is not a local number for him. The cell companies
exchange codes are in a special block compared to landline phones and
the last I knew they were not local calls for any landline exchanges.

Another item of interest coming out now are that many of the VOIP phones
(like Vonage) do not give any 911 info when used for emergency calls
unless you pay extra and ask them to.