Gigs

Default South Bend Lathe Information Needed

Hello,

I've come into posession of a South Bend Model A, Catalog Number
CL644A.

The motor does not have the standard nameplate one would expect, so I'm
not sure if it's three phase or one phase, or what voltage it might
take. There's a red plate on the motor that says "For higher voltage"
and then some connection scheme like T1-T5, etc.. then below that "For
lower voltage"

The cable feeding the motor comes from the wall assumedly (3 wires,
green/white/black, about 16 gauge stranded), to a roundish box with a
lever switch that has 3 positions, and then to the motor with the same
sort of cable.

The wires had no plug on the end, and the insulation is decomposed and
brittle beyond the point where I would consider using the wires.

Inside the wiring box on the motor itself, several wires are electrical
taped together and connect to the various green/black/white from the
cable. The wires coming from the motor windings themselves are cloth
braid shielded but crunchy inside too.

So I guess my questions are, does anyone know if this is one phase or
three phase, voltage, and if it's even worth messing with the old
motor.

If I am to scrap the old motor, would this lathe take a standard modern
motor? i.e. is the motor footprint compatible with what they use
today?).

Thanks!

Peter Grey

Hi,

FWIW, I have a 11" SB lathe with a three position drum switch (forward, stop
and reverse). It's got a 1/2 HP motor that runs on 120V. My real reason
for responding though is to suggest a couple other resources that may be of
help. They a

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...ubb=forum;f=17

Good luck,

Peter

"Gigs" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Grant Erwin

It's most probably a single phase motor. I suggest you put on a plug and give it
a spin. It sounds like you're about to scrap the motor anyway, so you have
nothing to lose.

Old cracked motor wiring can often be nursed along by judicious use of heat
shrink tubing.

Doesn't the motor have a nameplate? A couple of motor nameplate tricks: if you
cannot read the nameplate, first thing to try is to see if you can maneuver a
digital camera down and take a picture of it. Once on your computer, you may be
able to make out the lettering. Second trick is to take some modeling clay,
reach way over down and back (or whatever) and smush it onto the nameplate, then
carefully peel it off and try to read it even though it's mirror-image reversed.

I've done both of these with success.

GWE

Gigs wrote:
[...]

Gigs

Grant Erwin wrote:
It's most probably a single phase motor. I suggest you put on a plug and
give it a spin. It sounds like you're about to scrap the motor anyway,
so you have nothing to lose.

Yeah, you think I could try it with the series lightbulb trick in case
it's shorted?

Doesn't the motor have a nameplate? A couple of motor nameplate tricks:
if you cannot read the nameplate, first thing to try is to see if you

I couldn't find a nameplate at all. The red plate just has hookup
information, not nameplate rating sort of information.

Thanks,
Jason
Gigs

Peter Grey wrote:
Hi,

FWIW, I have a 11" SB lathe with a three position drum switch (forward, stop
and reverse). It's got a 1/2 HP motor that runs on 120V. My real reason
for responding though is to suggest a couple other resources that may be of
help. They a

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...ubb=forum;f=17

Thanks for the tips, those look like very active communities.

The links on that site already led me to some more information about the
lathe based on the catalog number.

http://www.southbendlathe.com/worksh...m#Twelve-Speed

It's the 4 foot model.

From the site it also says it's a 1/3 HP motor, 1725 RPM.

Useful stuff!

Thanks,
Jason

Tony

From what you've posted, Hi-voltage usually refers to 220, and low voltage
refers to 110 (when it comes to AC motors).

Not sure if 1/3 hp motors come like that, so perhaps you have a larger
motor.

Yes, you can replace the motor no sweat. Go to the front of a Grainger
catalog and they have the frame information for all motors. (Bolt spacing,
shaft diameter, height of shaft.) Figure out what you need.

Tony

"Gigs" wrote in message
Peter Grey wrote:
Hi,

FWIW, I have a 11" SB lathe with a three position drum switch (forward,

stop
and reverse). It's got a 1/2 HP motor that runs on 120V. My real

reason
for responding though is to suggest a couple other resources that may be

of
help. They a

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...ubb=forum;f=17

Thanks for the tips, those look like very active communities.

The links on that site already led me to some more information about the
lathe based on the catalog number.

http://www.southbendlathe.com/worksh...m#Twelve-Speed

It's the 4 foot model.

From the site it also says it's a 1/3 HP motor, 1725 RPM.

Useful stuff!

Thanks,
Jason

Gunner

On 10 Nov 2005 18:45:12 -0800, "Gigs" wrote:

[...]

Based on your discription..its a dual voltage SINGLE phase motor,
capable of running on 110vac or 220vac. Replace the wiring if its
cracked.

And yes..you can get a modern motor to fit. The "frame size", which is
a standard based on motor size, center height of shaft, mounting bolt
hold pattern and so forth. Once this is known...you can find motors
both new and used that will bolt right up.

Or put a DC or 3ph motor on it and use a controller for variable
speed, braking and fast reverse.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Mike Berger

I don't know if I'd count on that without more information.
It could mean 208 vs. 240 volts, or even 110 vs. 120. I've
actually seen the terms "high line" and "low line" used
more frequently in that context than 120/240.

Tony wrote:
From what you've posted, Hi-voltage usually refers to 220, and low voltage
refers to 110 (when it comes to AC motors).