Relz

Default South Bend Serial Number Extra Digits????

I've checked the South Bend website
http://www.southbendlathe.com/serialno.htm to look up the serial number of
the lathe I just purchased and the only information I could find is that it
was made pre-1947. The serial number is 180863 and has "L.O.R" after it.
Would you guess this is someone's initials they stamped in the bed or does
this mean something? The swing of the lathe is 10L with a bed length of 4
1/2 (I am assuming feet) and the catalog number is 187R. I don't know what
these numbers mean. Can anyone tell me anything about this lathe besides it
was made before 1947?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relz

Keith Marshall

I've checked the South Bend website
http://www.southbendlathe.com/serialno.htm to look up the serial number of
the lathe I just purchased and the only information I could find is that
it was made pre-1947. The serial number is 180863 and has "L.O.R" after
it.

Try this for helpful info on your lathe:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html

There is a link at the bottom for figuring out how old yours is and it looks
like it probably was built just as they were switching to the new numbering
system in 1947.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"