Default Taper Attachment

I have a clausing model 5914 with a taper attachment. I am not clear
how to set it up. The first thing I need to know is how do I hold the
tapper bar in place as the tool post moves along the way. Any
additional help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

Karl Townsend

I have a clausing model 5914 with a taper attachment. I am not clear
how to set it up. The first thing I need to know is how do I hold the
tapper bar in place as the tool post moves along the way. Any
additional help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

I'd suggest you get the manual if someone with this exact machine doesn't
chime in.. Available he http://www.machinemanuals.net/index.php

Taper attachments all work about the same, you release a bolt holding the
cross slide in place on the carriage. Then tighten a bolt holding the cross
slide to the taper attachment. Last there will be a clamp that holds the
taper attachment from moving up/down the ways.

I use the taper attachment 1/year and I have to pull the manual down every
time. I've got CRS (can't remember ...)

Karl

Mike Henry

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a clausing model 5914 with a taper attachment. I am not clear
how to set it up. The first thing I need to know is how do I hold the
tapper bar in place as the tool post moves along the way. Any
additional help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

Clausing should still be able to supply the manual for that - probably $5 or
$10.

Mike

Tom Wait

I've got a 5914 with taper. There's a clamp on the right end of the taper
attachment. It grabs hold of the rear way Tighten the two screws and the
taper is engaged. The cross slide follows the bar on top of the taper
attachment. To adust the taper loosen the screws at each end of the taper
bar and adjust the amount of the taper by turning the micrometer like
thimble on the right rear of the taper attachment. The scales at the end of
the taper bar are calibrated in inches per foot on one end and degrees on
the other. I don't remember which is which without the manual. The maual is
available from Clausing fo $25. Call them with the serial # of your lathe
and they'll custom build a manual. Ask for the parts price list also. When
you look at the parts prices have some nitroglycerin pills handy. Good luck,
Tom
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a clausing model 5914 with a taper attachment. I am not clear
how to set it up. The first thing I need to know is how do I hold the
tapper bar in place as the tool post moves along the way. Any
additional help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank
you.

Mike Henry

Tom,

I'm almost positive that Clausing sells the taper attachment (only) manual
separately and certain that it will be less than $25 - probably more like $5
or $10. The lathe manual itself does run $25, at least as of a few years
ago, and contains quite a bit of useful info but I don't think that they
come with instructions for the TA. If the OP orders a manual, there is a
good chance that Clausing will throw in a few accessory manuals for free, or
at reduced cost. Couldn't hurt to ask, anyway.

Mike

"Tom Wait" wrote in message
m...
[...]
ups.com...