John Doe

Default crimping/bending aluminum tubing?

I need to crimp and bend some aluminum tubing in various places. I
might want to crimp the aluminum tubing and then bend it at the
crimped point.

I'm going to use those points for drilling and connecting to either
small diameter metal rod or connecting two aluminum tubes together.

I'm planning to buy a reasonable size vice and maybe attach half of a
steel pipe to each jaw.

Thank you.

If you have a hyrdaulic jack, the bottle type, if you put it into a
metal frame so that the base of the jack can be brought to bear on the
aluminum tubing. you could also use a steel block between the jack and
the aluminum to achieve the desired shape.

It may also come in handy for all other applications such as bearing
pressing etc..

PL

Ken Moffett

John Doe wrote in news:Xns97058F7959053follydom@
207.115.17.102:

I need to crimp and bend some aluminum tubing in various places. I
might want to crimp the aluminum tubing and then bend it at the
crimped point.

I'm going to use those points for drilling and connecting to either
small diameter metal rod or connecting two aluminum tubes together.

I'm planning to buy a reasonable size vice and maybe attach half of a
steel pipe to each jaw.

Thank you.

Don't use a vice. It's not designed for that. One of my students tried
crimping the end of a 3/4" aluminum tub. Royally screwed up the a vice. The
vice jaws are a "lever arm" that extends several inches out from the center
of force, the screw. Mechanical advantage is the wrong way around. Better
to buy a cheap hydraulic press at HF or Northern Tool.
John Doe

Ken Moffett KMoffett mn.rr.com wrote:
John Doe jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote

I need to crimp and bend some aluminum tubing in various places.
I might want to crimp the aluminum tubing and then bend it at the
crimped point.
I'm going to use those points for drilling and connecting to
either small diameter metal rod or connecting two aluminum tubes
together. I'm planning to buy a reasonable size vice and maybe
attach half of a steel pipe to each jaw.

Don't use a vice. It's not designed for that. One of my students
tried crimping the end of a 3/4" aluminum tub. Royally screwed up
the a vice. The vice jaws are a "lever arm" that extends several
inches out from the center of force, the screw. Mechanical
advantage is the wrong way around. Better to buy a cheap hydraulic
press at HF or Northern Tool.

Vice jaws are a lever arm? However true your terminology, force is
force is force. I mean, what difference does it make if you aren't
putting any more force on the vice than you normally apply for any
other function. While practicing today, I crimped the aluminum
tubing until it was flat and the aluminum sides broke while applying
less force than I have often put on the vice many times before.

You're not supposed to put a lot of pressure on a vice? I always
thought too much pressure was like when the key/arm was bent out of
shape.

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: crimping/bending aluminum tubing?
From: Ken Moffett KMoffett mn.rr.com
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:43:45 GMT

Soldering aluminum tubing to steel sheet metal Racer X Metalworking 8 May 15th 04 12:16 AM
Aluminum tubing Gunner Metalworking 1 November 20th 03 03:30 PM
Too Much Flex in Aluminum Tubing qedude Metalworking 25 November 8th 03 02:02 AM
Putting an arc in aluminum tubing nic Metalworking 2 September 3rd 03 12:07 AM
on a side note: Putting a bend in 6061 aluminum tubing Blackout Metalworking 1 August 29th 03 07:57 PM