Default Casters: welding vs. bolting

Ignoramus1740 wrote:

Is it better to bolt the casters to the bottom, or to just weld them
on. That's my question.

I built a moveable base a few years ago for a bandsaw. The casters I
put on were not what I really wanted but I did want to be able move
this 500# saw. I bolted them on.

Now I have the casters I want to use. As soon as I get some ambition,
I'll take the saw off the base, unbolt the old casters and put the new
ones on. I'll have to fabricate a weldment to bolt to since I can't
drill the new bolt pattern where there are holes. Well, I could weld
up the holes and might do that.

The old casters will be in good condition for a lighter duty task, the
new ones will be bolted again in case I need to remove one for repair
or decide the relationship of fixed and stearable casters need to be
changed.

For your case, is it strong enough to just tack on casters on the
corners. Might some 1/2x? flat stock welded on be a better surface to
use to better support the weight?

Wes S