Pete C.

Default Casters: welding vs. bolting

Ignoramus1740 wrote:

I have this 10 hp phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Phase-Converter/

It works fine, but I now need a bigger one, for my welder.

I have a 7.5 HP motor that I want to use as the second idler. I would
start it using three phase from the first motor. Startnig the second
one would also activate balancing caps. I am pretty sure that it will
work.

I have this case from a Ferrups UPS:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

I want to mount both motors inside it and use the remaining space to
house all electricals. Again, it should work.

Here's the question. I want this thing to be on casters. It will be
perhaps 300-350 lbs in weight with the motors.

Is it better to bolt the casters to the bottom, or to just weld them
on. That's my question.

But a $20 moving dolly at your local home improvement store. A few wood
screws to secure the housing to the dolly and it's easily reusable when
you upgrade your converter to something else. You'll get better casters
on the $20 complete dolly than you would for $20 from the casters
selection.

Pete C.