Koz

Default Casters: welding vs. bolting

Ignoramus1740 wrote:

I have this 10 hp phase converter:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Phase-Converter/

It works fine, but I now need a bigger one, for my welder.

I have a 7.5 HP motor that I want to use as the second idler. I would
start it using three phase from the first motor. Startnig the second
one would also activate balancing caps. I am pretty sure that it will
work.

I have this case from a Ferrups UPS:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

I want to mount both motors inside it and use the remaining space to
house all electricals. Again, it should work.

Here's the question. I want this thing to be on casters. It will be
perhaps 300-350 lbs in weight with the motors.

Is it better to bolt the casters to the bottom, or to just weld them
on. That's my question.

Bolt.

Not every caster is perfect and I've seen too many that fail for one
reason or another. Would be far less of a headache if the 1 in 500 that
dies could be replaced with bolts.

Koz

Christopher Tidy

Koz wrote:

Ignoramus1740 wrote:

[...]

I'm with Koz here. Bolt them if you can. They'll be easier to replace,
you won't have to deal with zinc fumes, and you won't risk damaging the
wheels with heat. If you don't want to drill so many holes look for the
castors with a single central bolt, but you might not be able to get
them in a high enough load rating for the job.

Chris

Fixing welding set's built-in battery charger Christopher Tidy Metalworking 13 September 9th 05 11:56 AM
Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM