Randy H.

Default Cast alluminum

Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

DeepDiver

"Randy H." wrote in message

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.

What is a glass lathe?

End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

You could probably have it TIG welded (or even MIG welded) if, in fact, it
is aluminum and not some kind of pot metal. If your shop is capable, you
could machine a new one. Or you could buy a generic replacement.

- Michael

ATP*

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Randy H." wrote in message

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.

What is a glass lathe?

A lathe for turning glass as it is blown. One of the local metalworkers
works as a mechanical engineer and gave me a tour of his facility. That was
one of the cooler toys they had.

http://www.littonengr.com/Lathes.html

DeepDiver

"ATP*" wrote in message

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Randy H." wrote in message

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass
lathes.

What is a glass lathe?

A lathe for turning glass as it is blown. One of the local metalworkers
works as a mechanical engineer and gave me a tour of his facility. That
was one of the cooler toys they had.

http://www.littonengr.com/Lathes.html

Cool. Thanks for the info and the link. Too bad the images are small and
there are no photos of the lathes in operation.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Randy H." wrote in message
Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

Given the chance you can place a piece of support material around the broken
spokes, your idea is actually quite a good one. In a moment of stupidity,
I tipped over my rather trashy Crapsman overarm saw, which has been
indispensable in building our shop and house. The handle broke off the
saw when it tipped over, so I repaired it exactly as you suggested, with a
couple small strips of aluminum added to each side of the handle to lend
strength. It's been that way for a few years now and has worked perfectly,
although it's not very pretty. That's OK, I'm not, either. :-)

Welding by any means is likely to result in a rather crooked running wheel,
although with care it might turn out fine. You would have complete control
using epoxy, which, I think, in this instance, would be my first choice. I
keep thinking of a small piece of tubing placed over each of the spokes, if
you get my drift.

Good luck!

Harold

Nick Müller

DeepDiver wrote:

Too bad the images are small

"Click for larger photo" worked here.

To come back to the subject:
Yes, welding MIG/TIG would be OK. No big load (as long as fork lifts are
not involved).

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DeepDiver

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
DeepDiver wrote:

Too bad the images are small

"Click for larger photo" worked here.

I was referring to the "larger" photos! Perhaps I should have been more
clear: too bad the images are not of higher resolution and more detailed.

- Michael

~Roy

I would try TIG'ing it, or put it together using JB weld, use it as a
pattern and have a backyard metalcaster type cast you a new
one........

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:15:46 -0800, "Randy H."
wrote:

===Hi all,
===
===I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
===End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
===The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.
===
===What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?
===
===Thanks,
===
===Randy Hansen
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"

Randy H. wrote:
Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

You may want to look at
http://www.use-enco.com/
and search for "handwheels". MSC, Mcmaster-Carr, and
several other vendors also carry them. It may be simpler
just to replace it with a new one that is similar.
--Glenn Lyford

Brian Lawson

wrote:

Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

Hey Randy,

Does it look like any of these??

https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/edit/CATEGORY?query=*START_WITH_ID=3532

Bob Engelhardt

Randy H. wrote:
.... cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

If it is aluminum, not pot metal, and you don't have a welder, you could
use that aluminum soldering stuff ("Alumiweld" or something like that).
Works with a propane torch, MAPP is better. Kinda pricey, though.
If you could scrounge up a little zinc, it would probably work just as
well (the alumiweld is mostly zinc). A roofer might have some zinc scraps.

Or just use JBWeld, there isn't much force on the wheel.

Bob
Martin H. Eastburn

Once there was a product called Liquid Al and Liquid Steel. In a tube.
See if you can find it in a hardware store.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Randy H. wrote:
Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

Randy H.

Thanks for all the help. It's much appreciated!

Chas

"Randy H." wrote in message
Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

My choice would be OA fusion welding using 5% silicon filler rod. Should not
be difficult if carefully pre-heated and supported.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To E-Mail me replace 'xxx' with tango papa golf)