Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Cast alluminum

"Randy H." wrote in message
news:UhAaf.578$zu6.180@fed1read04...
Hi all,

I had a little accident involving a fork lift and one of my glass lathes.
End result was one of the cranking wheels to move the carriage was broken.
The spokes broke free of the hub. I believe it is cast aluminum.

What would be the best way to fix it other than something like JB Weld?

Thanks,

Randy Hansen

Given the chance you can place a piece of support material around the broken
spokes, your idea is actually quite a good one. In a moment of stupidity,
I tipped over my rather trashy Crapsman overarm saw, which has been
indispensable in building our shop and house. The handle broke off the
saw when it tipped over, so I repaired it exactly as you suggested, with a
couple small strips of aluminum added to each side of the handle to lend
strength. It's been that way for a few years now and has worked perfectly,
although it's not very pretty. That's OK, I'm not, either. :-)

Welding by any means is likely to result in a rather crooked running wheel,
although with care it might turn out fine. You would have complete control
using epoxy, which, I think, in this instance, would be my first choice. I
keep thinking of a small piece of tubing placed over each of the spokes, if
you get my drift.

Good luck!

Harold