Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jon Elson

Default Photos of my homemade TIG torch cooler

Ignoramus26745 wrote:

I made a homemade TIG torch cooler, from a used carbonator pump from
soda fountains. Pictures of the pump, solid state relay, etc, are
provided.

Also provided are pictures of the innards of my welder.

The story is he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...-Torch-Cooler/

Hey, I thought you said a couple of weeks ago that it did NOT have HF.
Obviously, in the lower left corner of the pics of the welder's innards,
is the HF section. Maybe you meant it wasn't working, I don't know.
I have to say the inside of my Lincoln Square-Wave TIG 300 is a lot more
organized than the Hobart. There is VERY little wiring in the main
welder section other than the main power cables. All the circuit boards
and interconnect wiring is in an enclosed space behind the control panel.
I'm almost amazed the Hobart works at all with all the control wiring
hanging out near the main power circuitry. (I do notice a big shield
between the HF and the control boards. By the way, you may be
breaking the shielding with your new wires for the cooler. They go
right by the HF section, then up near the control boards. I would not
route them that way.)

Your cooler looks pretty good. I wonder, however, if you get into
serious TIGing, if the heat will build up. I was pretty surprised at how
hot the cooler got on my TIG system after some steel welding. (Actually,
it probably gets hotter on Aluminum with AC, but I am still learning the
techniques there, so I weld for a moment and then look at the part a lot.)
I have a Miller cooler with a big fan-cooled heat exchanger on it. The
exchanger gets hot, and the water in the tank eventually gets pretty warm,
too.

Jon