Ned Simmons

Default What is it? LXXXVI

In article ,
says...
John Martin wrote:

You're right, Nick - it's a key slot and has nothing to do with
expansion or contraction.

It's not that I want to be right, I want to understand why it is the way
it is. For that application, the key slot is quite odd, so I think the
usage is something different.

As John says, it's not a keyway, but just makes it easier
to clamp the collar on the shaft. The pictured 1/4" collar
is at the small end of the available range of sizes, so the
slot is wide relative to the clamping diameter which makes
the slot look wide enough to be a keyway, but I assure you
it's not.

I have 4 collars (3/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 1-1/2) in front of me
and the slot in all is approx .060 inch wide. The slot does
not extend to the far side of the ID on the 1-1/2" collar,
presumably because the larger diameter collar is flexible
enough without it.

It's worth getting familiar with these collars as they're
handy for all sorts of things. They're also available with
a threaded ID, in two pieces, hinged, threaded to match
bearing locknut threads, etc. Ruland and Stafford are two
mfrs.

http://www.ruland.com/collars.html
http://www.staffordmfg.com/

Here's some photos I posted a couple weeks ago of one way I
use them. They're also useful as hubs for attaching
components to a shaft that need adjustable timing - cams,
for example.

http://tinyurl.com/eymgc
http://tinyurl.com/dz8su
http://tinyurl.com/c7gzc

Ned Simmons

humunculus

John Martin wrote:
You're right, Nick - it's a key slot and has nothing to do with
expansion or contraction.

It's not that I want to be right, I want to understand why it is the way

it is. For that application, the key slot is quite odd, so I think the
usage is something different.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on the internet, but my guess is
that the shallow slit has something to do with compressional force
distribution. Since we cannot make the hole smaller, the 'grip' of the
collar comes from deforming the shape of the hole around the shaft.

Without a slit on the far side, all the compressional force from
tightening the screw is concentrated at the screw end. The round hole
basically deforms most on that side, and the very least on the far
side, making a teardrop shape.

But with the narrow slit, the 'teardrop shaped' deformation takes place
at the base of the slit, in the center of the collar: not enough to
close the slit down, but enough to distribute the deformation along the
sides of the hole and effectively squeeze the collar evenly on both
sides. Instead of a teardrop shape, it closes down like a clamshell
with semicircular halves.

--humunculus

Nick Müller

Ned Simmons wrote:

The pictured 1/4" collar
is at the small end of the available range of sizes, so the
slot is wide relative to the clamping diameter which makes
the slot look wide enough to be a keyway, but I assure you
it's not.

Yes, you are right. I looked back at the puzzle photo.
I remembered the slot to be wider than it actually is.

Thanks,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Badger

R.H. wrote:
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

503, temp/emergency linemans screw in folding pole climbing / standing
foot pegs.