Doug White

Default Centering Scopes?

Over the years, a couple of people have mentioned being very fond of
their centering scopes. I've been thinking of getting one to use on my
mill. They seem to come in a range of powers, from 15X to 45X. There is
also the issue of Cheaper Chinese vs more expensive US or European units.
Never having used one, I have no idea what sort of alignment or focussing
issues there might be with different designs/brands. The one thing I
would like is something fairly short so I don't have to crank the table
up & down a lot swapping it in & out.

So, I'm opening the floor for discussion. Ideas, suggestions,
comments, etc.?

Thanks!

Doug White
DeepDiver

"Mark" wrote in message
Article in Model Engineer last year to make one from 1/2 inch
plexi (acrylic). Works great. /mark

I believe that's for an optical centering *punch*, which is an entirely
different animal.

CAMCOMPCO

I have one, just used it 5 min agao, remember seeing this post and
thought I would add my 2 cents....I love it and just like having a cell
phone, if I lost it I would feel uncomfortable until I replaced it...as
far as I am concerned, it is a "must have" tool. I got my HECO on ebay
for something like $75, new-like shape.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to CAMCOMPCO, sdejesus13 wrote:
Just got a Heco and like it very much. Be forewarned though that you may have
access issues with it depending on your mill. You have to be able to rotate
it 180 degrees and get your eye up to it in both positions in order to align
it. Some online discussions mention mills where this is difficult or
impossible. Other than that, it was dead easy to align and looks like it will
be very accurate.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-448799-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to sdejesus13, Hopefuldave wrote:
Mine's a Japanese-made Moor Precision 50x with a 0.001" graticle, I find it
*very* useful, considering it was rescued from the dumpster at work
(everything has gone Metric...)
The body length is about 4.5" from rear of the clamp-on--an-inch-and-eighth
socket plus about 1" clear space (the focal length) under it, so you'd be
looking at 5.5" from spindle face! It brings the eyepiece out about 6" from
centre and 4.5" above the work surface, so it's not too awkward in use.

Dave H (the engineer formerly known as Homeless, who has lost his login
details and can't remember which email he had then...)

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-448799-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 May 2017 15:18:03 GMT, Hopefuldave
wrote:

replying to sdejesus13, Hopefuldave wrote:
Mine's a Japanese-made Moor Precision 50x with a 0.001" graticle, I find it
*very* useful, considering it was rescued from the dumpster at work
(everything has gone Metric...)
The body length is about 4.5" from rear of the clamp-on--an-inch-and-eighth
socket plus about 1" clear space (the focal length) under it, so you'd be
looking at 5.5" from spindle face! It brings the eyepiece out about 6" from
centre and 4.5" above the work surface, so it's not too awkward in use.

Dave H (the engineer formerly known as Homeless, who has lost his login
details and can't remember which email he had then...)

NICE! centering scope!!!

---