Default Tool gloat, kinda longesh

A while back a friend of mine called up and asked if I wanted to go
look at something with him. He is retired and usually finds some
interesting things to look at or drool over. It turned out that a
semi-retired custom golf club maker had passed away and his wife wanted
his shop cleaned out.
When we got there we found wall-to-wall stuff. I spent enough time
going through the two car garage and small workshop to get some kind of
idea of what was there. When she said she wanted $500 for every thing,
my hand went up rather quickly to keep my jaw from hitting the floor.
Then the kicker - she said she didn't want to see anything but concrete
floors when we were through. It was a done deal.
My buddy asked if he could have the old Delta model floor lenght drill
press if he helped me move everything. Sure, I said. I already had a
nice one and really needed the help.
The take:
In addition to the Delta drill press there was an ancient Aurora
overhead shaft drill press. Heavy, about 6 ft. tall. 1900's?
An older really nice Buffalo #15 table top drill press.
A heavy duty Buffalo #22 table top shear.
An old Delta 12" disc sander that runs smooth as silk.
A really nice unnamed belt sander.
Three huge buffers - two with factory stands, one with a homemade
stand.
Two almost new 1hp Leyland Faraday 115/230v motors, one hooked up
to a squirrel cage that must have been used to remove sawdust.
Another 17-18 assorted electric motors from 1/4 to 1 hp. I started
about half of them and they all look like they run.
About 2000 brand new (most still with factory paper on them) taper
shaft golf club shafts. About half steel and half aluminum.
Half dozen golf club bags filled with finished/partly finished
golf clubs.
Several hundred other golf clubs in various stages of repair.
Several dozen brand new (in wrappers) stainless steel club heads,
made in Scotland, I believe.
A couple of 5 gal. pails of unfinished brass putter heads.
A couple of boxes of unfinished wooden club heads and several
hundred brass plates to go on them.
A couple of boxes of huge rolls of various grades of steel wool.
A couple of boxes of assorted sanding belts.
A half dozen boxes of assorted stuff - cut up brass pieces, golf
club screws, ect.
And to top it all off, in the corner, covered up was a Burke #4
(126A) horizontal mill. It had been cannibalized and re-
rigged to do some kind of wood work. It has a lot of potential
though. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Probably a trailer load of junk wound up at the dump. Believe me,
it was junk. I rarely throw anything away.
I checked with about every golf shop aroud me and all said that the
taper shafts were no longer used and nobody was interested in them.
Quite a few are now being utilized by my mother-in-law to stake up her
garden plants.
Anyone have any suggestions for them?
Strangely enough, I found only a few hand tools and nothing precision,
not even a vice. The guy was mostly retired, as I understood it.
Bill.

tillius

ebay em - somebody somewhere will pay something for them.

Tillman

tillius

Or if you're not too far away, I might buy them from you. I'd probably
also be interested in the club heads and maybe the rest of the golf
related stuff.

email me at tillman_stevens at comcast dot net if you want to get rid
of them

DeepDiver

wrote in message
ups.com...

A while back a friend of mine called up and asked if I wanted
to go look at something with him. It turned out that a
semi-retired custom golf club maker had passed away and
his wife wanted his shop cleaned out.
Then the kicker - she said she didn't want to see anything but
concrete floors when we were through.

Nice haul. I suspect that will be the attitude of my wife when I'm gone.**
While she loves me completely, she has no affinity for my metalworking
equipment (which she half-jokingly/half-disparagingly refers to as my
"stupid machines").

And our first baby (which is due in December) is a daughter, and my wife had
no intention of letting me train her in the art of metalworking. (Of course,
I have other ideas... heh, heh.) But my only real chance of passing on a
legacy of metalworking is if my next child is a son.

**(Btw, don't any of you get any ideas about this. I'm well armed!)

- Michael

rigger

Wow, great buy Bill. And I thought I was stylin' when I got a Tiwanese
knockoff of a 5" Wilton vise this weekend for $20.
For my last (post mortum) yardsale the family says my photographic
collection will only need 3 boxs: 10 cent (for cameras), 5 cent (for
light meters), and free (for everything else)

dennis
in nca.

Mike Henry

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

My wife would probably be happy to *pay* someone $500 to take it all away
after I'm gone.

Mike

Roger Shoaf

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
Nice haul. I suspect that will be the attitude of my wife when I'm gone.**
While she loves me completely, she has no affinity for my metalworking
equipment (which she half-jokingly/half-disparagingly refers to as my
"stupid machines").

And our first baby (which is due in December) is a daughter, and my wife

had
no intention of letting me train her in the art of metalworking. (Of

course,
I have other ideas... heh, heh.) But my only real chance of passing on a
legacy of metalworking is if my next child is a son.

**(Btw, don't any of you get any ideas about this. I'm well armed!)

Bravo on your plan to give shop lessons to your daughter. I personally
think boys should know how to cook and sew and girls should learn all of the
industrial arts also, if only to have an appreciation for those that
regularly do the work.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Jim Stewart

DeepDiver wrote:

And our first baby (which is due in December) is a daughter, and my wife had
no intention of letting me train her in the art of metalworking. (Of course,
I have other ideas... heh, heh.) But my only real chance of passing on a
legacy of metalworking is if my next child is a son.

Start early. Take her with you when you
go out scrounging on Saturdays. My daughter
loved it. She'd been to all the welding and
surplus stores in the bay area before she
could walk.

As to hands-on, we had a real sweet time
between about 8 years and 12. She soaked
up everything I showed her and asked lots
of questions. Took a metalworking class
in junior high.

After the hormones kicked in she pretty
much lost interest, but at least she can
handle tools better than her boyfriends
and can work safely.

I'm located in central FL. Let me know if you are anywhere near. I may
wind up with ebay.
Bill.

Leo Lichtman

"rigger" wrote: (clip) For my last (post mortum) yardsale the family says
my photographic collection will only need 3 boxs: 10 cent (for cameras), 5
cent (for light meters), and free (for everything else.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I send you the money now, would you just mark the stuff "sold," and save
your family a lot of trouble? Come to think of it, how old are you? We may
need actuarial tables to work our a fair price.

tillius

Ah - I'm all the way up in Delaware - the shipping would probably make
it not worth it to me.

Ebay is the way to go. Try a few listings of the shafts in bundles of
10-20. If you don't get any hits, divide the club heads into lots and
bundle the shafts with them.

Tillman

tillius wrote:
Ah - I'm all the way up in Delaware - the shipping would probably make
it not worth it to me.

Ebay is the way to go. Try a few listings of the shafts in bundles of
10-20. If you don't get any hits, divide the club heads into lots and
bundle the shafts with them.

Tillman

Thanks, sounds like a plan.
Bill

Actually, I'm very fortunate to have plenty of room. I have a 30x30
barn with an 8" pipe buried in concrete in the center with an
ibeam/hoist at the top that swivels 360 deg. Really handy for moving
equipment/ pulling engines, etc. Off to one side of the barn, I built a
20x30 addition that is completely sealed, insulated, air conditioned
that I have all of my machine shop equipment in. (spend most of my time
here)
I built another 20x20 addition that I keep my project cars in. I am
rebuilding a 63 XKE roadster that I put a Chevy small block in and a 67
XKE coupe that is all original.
I also built a 15x20 addition that is not finished yet for storage and
have a 3 sided open storage in the back of the barn that is probably
25x20 to store "good" junk in. All this taking place over about 15
years.
Throw away 2000 brand new steel/aluminum shafts????? Think I would
rather throw my wife away first. G
Bill

tillius

Don't forget to include the $1.00 handling fee per auction to pay your
'ebay marketing advisor' g

Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Think I would rather throw my wife away
first. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please send picture of wife.

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Start early. Take her with you when you
go out scrounging on Saturdays.

My story: I was driving into work one saturday, I had
my daughter (about 14 at the time) with me. We're driving
along and she said "What's that - there's a bandsaw in the
woods!"

And there was. An older, Delta woodworking bandsaw.
We stopped and snagged it, and I gave it to a buddy
of mine who does woodworking.

All those years of scrounging must have made *some*
kind of impression on her - she'd been along for
scrounge excursions many times before that.

Jim

please reply to:

Michael J Panchula

There's a BurkeMills group on yahoo, if you need more info on the #4.

-Mike

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:50:33 -0700, lathenut wrote:

And to top it all off, in the corner, covered up was a Burke #4
(126A) horizontal mill. It had been cannibalized and re-
rigged to do some kind of wood work. It has a lot of potential
though. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Now This is a Gloat! (kinda long) Schroeder Woodworking 9 March 9th 05 11:53 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
Tool Gloat! John Moorhead Woodworking 12 December 29th 04 06:25 PM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM