Dude

Default Delta/Rockwell 11" lathe gears - find or make?

I'm trying to find some gears to repair my delta/rockwell 11" metal lathe.
They are not available from Delta (big surprise) so I'm seeking the group's
advise on where I might find some.

In the case I can't find them, then advise on how to make replacements
would be just as good I suppose.

I've read this article on repairing the smaller gear on the bull gear, so
at least I have some clue on what I need:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/delta/delta.html

A diagram of the gears I'm seeking is he

http://www.x35performance.com/gears.jpg

You can email me using the username info at this domain: x35performance
then dot com (f*ing spammers require this explanation grr)

Thanks for any help
Steve
Gunner

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 01:46:32 -0000, Dude bah wrote:

I'm trying to find some gears to repair my delta/rockwell 11" metal lathe.
They are not available from Delta (big surprise) so I'm seeking the group's
advise on where I might find some.

In the case I can't find them, then advise on how to make replacements
would be just as good I suppose.

I've read this article on repairing the smaller gear on the bull gear, so
at least I have some clue on what I need:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/delta/delta.html

A diagram of the gears I'm seeking is he

http://www.x35performance.com/gears.jpg

You can email me using the username info at this domain: x35performance
then dot com (f*ing spammers require this explanation grr)

Thanks for any help
Steve

If you dont find any gears, let me know and Ill see about having them
made. I get a brother in law discount sometimes. Though they still
wont be "cheap"

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
TSJABS

Default Delta/Rockwell 11" lathe gears - parts

Where are you located? I have an 11" Rockwell that I bought and intended on
rebuilding, (needs bed reground and some other items) it was a rescue from the
scrapyard and they badly damaged the cabinet base and drive. I have not been
able to locate a cabinent and drive for anything reasonable so I might just
sell what I have to someone that could use all the parts. Other than a couple
damaged Q.C. handles all the head and gears look to be in good condition.
I want to sell the whole lathe not just little pieces and parts. You do not
need to take the base as I can haul it to the scrapyard. If you are interested
email me, OR if someone is reading this and HAS a good variable speed cabinent
that they want to part with I would be very interested in it.

tim
Jim Schwitters

Steve,
I have this lathe and although mine is undamaged, I have heard that the
backgears frequently have the damage you explained. I would suggest several
solutions, depending on the tools you have available and your budget.
First, try several of the major used equipment dealers. I occasionally
notice they have Rockwell 11" lathes parting out. Plaza machinery had a
headstock recently - $100 IIRC. Sobel and Dave Ficken are other good
sources.
The repair procedure by Peterson in the link you posted is an excellent
procedure. I'd only do two things differently; suggest drilling two small
holes (1/16"?) 180 degrees apart at the loctite interface between the two
parts and inserting a pin to ensure the joint does not fail in shear. Also,
I'd consider milling the gear after the ring is attached to the backgear to
ensure concentricity.
I would try to repair the bull gear using the same procedure, although I
don't remember whether its configuration will enable it - but I believe it
does. By milling both gears, you won't need to worry about which pressure
angle to use, just get the clearance right for correct backlash.
An alternative to milling gears is to buy a two matching gears from a
supplier like Boston Gear and turn out the centers leaving rings and attach
them as described above. It will take a bit of research to ensure that the
backlash will be correct when engaged.
Please let us know how you work it out.
Regards,
Jim S.