Honest A Babin

Default need suggestion for surface grinding wheel

Hello,
I'm trying to resurface the magnetic chuck on my surface grinder but
the grinding wheel I have is too hard to do the job properly without
clogging and bouncing before I'm even a third through. It's a mess and
iirc the job calls for a soft, open grain wheel, no?
Wheel is 7" maximum and I could use specifics on grain, bond, etc for
all around general purpose use.
A link to a simple tutorial and if possible Graingers or MSC stock #'s
would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Al

Gunner Asch

On 21 Oct 2005 23:02:48 -0700, "Honest A Babin"
wrote:

Hello,
I'm trying to resurface the magnetic chuck on my surface grinder but
the grinding wheel I have is too hard to do the job properly without
clogging and bouncing before I'm even a third through. It's a mess and
iirc the job calls for a soft, open grain wheel, no?
Wheel is 7" maximum and I could use specifics on grain, bond, etc for
all around general purpose use.
A link to a simple tutorial and if possible Graingers or MSC stock #'s
would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Al

Al, you want a nice new White wheel, about an 80 to 120 grit.

Take a Magic Marker, and swizzle it around the top of the chuck. Dress
the wheel square, and take cuts of no more than a couple tenths per
full pass. When the magic marker is completly gone, repeat once more,
with magic marker, make another couple tenths pass, , then its time
to stop. Holes, gouges and pits will harm nothing. All you want to do
is make sure its flat to the wheel travel, with no raised edges around
the craters. If you have coolant..use it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Mike Henry

wrote:

Hello,
I'm trying to resurface the magnetic chuck on my surface grinder but
the grinding wheel I have is too hard to do the job properly without
clogging and bouncing before I'm even a third through. It's a mess and
iirc the job calls for a soft, open grain wheel, no?
Wheel is 7" maximum and I could use specifics on grain, bond, etc for
all around general purpose use.
A link to a simple tutorial and if possible Graingers or MSC stock #'s
would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Al

Al, you want a nice new White wheel, about an 80 to 120 grit.

Are you sure about that Gunner? KO Lee recommends a 46 grit wheel and I've
seen others recommend that grit on the web for dressing a chuck.

Take a Magic Marker, and swizzle it around the top of the chuck. Dress
the wheel square, and take cuts of no more than a couple tenths per
full pass. When the magic marker is completly gone, repeat once more,
with magic marker, make another couple tenths pass, , then its time
to stop. Holes, gouges and pits will harm nothing. All you want to do
is make sure its flat to the wheel travel, with no raised edges around
the craters. If you have coolant..use it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

R. O'Brian

"Honest A Babin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I'm trying to resurface the magnetic chuck on my surface grinder but
the grinding wheel I have is too hard to do the job properly without
clogging and bouncing before I'm even a third through. It's a mess and
iirc the job calls for a soft, open grain wheel, no?
Wheel is 7" maximum and I could use specifics on grain, bond, etc for
all around general purpose use.
A link to a simple tutorial and if possible Graingers or MSC stock #'s
would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Al

The blue 5SG (seeded gel)wheels made by Norton last far longer between
dressings than any others I have used. They cost twice as much as the
standard wheels, but are well worth it IMHO. See MSC Cat. page # 789
(online)

Randy

BottleBob

Honest A Babin wrote:

Hello,
I'm trying to resurface the magnetic chuck on my surface grinder but
the grinding wheel I have is too hard to do the job properly without
clogging and bouncing before I'm even a third through. It's a mess and
iirc the job calls for a soft, open grain wheel, no?
Wheel is 7" maximum and I could use specifics on grain, bond, etc for
all around general purpose use.
A link to a simple tutorial and if possible Graingers or MSC stock #'s
would be appreciated.
Cordially,
Al

Al:

This is how I resurface magnetic chucks on surface grinders.

What I do is use a regular 46H wheel and course dress it (run the
diamond very fast across the wheel) course dressing keeps the heat input
down and leaves a course finish on the chuck. Some people may not like
that sort of finish, if that bothers you then either fine dress the
wheel, or go to a 60H wheel for your finish passes.
When grinding the surface of the chuck I step over almost the full
width of the wheel (about .400-.450 on a 1/2" wheel) on each pass. You
have to watch for ANY heat buildup, meaning you crank fast and take a
tenth or two for finish passes (that's .0001-.0002, not .1 g). Like
others have suggested, use coolant if you have it.

BTW, the "H" is a soft wheel, as the alphabet rises "J", "K", "L" the
wheels get harder.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:16:10 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Al

Al, you want a nice new White wheel, about an 80 to 120 grit.

Are you sure about that Gunner? KO Lee recommends a 46 grit wheel and I've
seen others recommend that grit on the web for dressing a chuck.

I dont know what KO Lee recommends. Only what was recommended to me by
a guy who runs a grinding shop. I think he has about 15 surface
grinders in daily operation. He may be doing it wrong. When I followed
his directions, my chuck came out fine. I took very very small passes,
so the fine wheel had no tendency to burn. Which the courser wheel
would help prevent of course.

So yes..Im sure what the owner of Matthews Gauge told me, not that
its right. Shrug.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Mike Henry

wrote:

Al

Al, you want a nice new White wheel, about an 80 to 120 grit.

Are you sure about that Gunner? KO Lee recommends a 46 grit wheel and
I've
seen others recommend that grit on the web for dressing a chuck.

I dont know what KO Lee recommends. Only what was recommended to me by
a guy who runs a grinding shop. I think he has about 15 surface
grinders in daily operation. He may be doing it wrong. When I followed
his directions, my chuck came out fine. I took very very small passes,
so the fine wheel had no tendency to burn. Which the courser wheel
would help prevent of course.

So yes..Im sure what the owner of Matthews Gauge told me, not that
its right. Shrug.

Well, I'm not sure that a 46 grit wheel is better either, only that it's
what the KO Lee docs recommend, as they happen to be in hand. A brief look
through some books in the "library" didn't turn up anything relevant so I
was hoping the reply might stir some discussion.