Anthony

Default Fortress mailboxes

Ignoramus5275 wrote in
news

If some vandal hits your mailbox, dies, and you lose thousands in
court, you are not a winner in the situation. If an unfortunate driver
dies, there would be a moral guilt element in addition to the court
judgment.

I've deleted the original post now, but in reply...
Last I knew, willful destruction of a mailbox was still a FELONY.
If it is a recurring problem, a video camera or web cam set up to snap a
picture every few seconds aimed to maybe get a plate number would be a
good way to go.
You've lost another mailbox, but at least the people who did it can be
procecuted.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Rex B

Ignoramus5275 wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:04:17 GMT, Anthony wrote:

Ignoramus5275 wrote in
news

If some vandal hits your mailbox, dies, and you lose thousands in
court, you are not a winner in the situation. If an unfortunate driver
dies, there would be a moral guilt element in addition to the court
judgment.

I've deleted the original post now, but in reply...
Last I knew, willful destruction of a mailbox was still a FELONY.

yep

If it is a recurring problem, a video camera or web cam set up to
snap a picture every few seconds aimed to maybe get a plate number
would be a good way to go. You've lost another mailbox, but at
least the people who did it can be procecuted.

A fun Rec.Crafts.Metalworking project would be a camera actuated by an
event of a mailbox being destroyed. Should not be very difficult, to
use a relay that closes when signal current is interrupted.

X10 proximity detector connected to a webcam should be pretty cheap.
You'd have daily pics of the postman and your wife.
Hopefully not together

And sure as you went to this trouble, your new mailbox would remain
untouched for many years.
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:10:02 GMT, Ignoramus5275
wrote:

[...]

I've thought about the mailbox surprise from time to time. Even though
destroying a mailbox is a felony doesn't mean it's a good law or that
kids who go out and whack mailboxes should pay a huge price for doing
so. There are hardly any people who have not done something equally as
bad and gotten away with it. That said, if my box got whacked I'd sure
like to see the varmints pay. But replacing the box and maybe 1/2 a
day hard labor splitting wood or pulling blackberry bushes would be
just. Where I live we have episodes of crushed mailboxes. I have
thought that a digital camera that takes a picture of every car that
passes would be easy to set up. But destroying somebody's mailbox sure
doesn't rate jail time or anything. Unless it's a mailbox in your
front door and an M-80 is used.
ERS
Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus5275 wrote:
[...]

If you do that, for extra fun you should buffer the last 20 seconds of
video on an old PC, then if the signal is interrupted automatically save
the footage to disk.

There was an experimental scheme (I can't remember where) which did this
at accident blackspots. This used a microphone which picked up the noise
of a collision, and then the computer would save the footage for the police.

There was also a guy who lived near me who kept having his PC stolen.
Being a programmer he set up a webcam which took a picture every few
seconds, and if a program detected any motion the computer would e-mail
the pictures to him. He got a hilarious picture of a guy stealing his
computer, which the police showed to the burglar when they arrested him.
Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4272041.stm

Chris